Left 4 Dead "Survival Pack" DLC Coming This Spring

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Left 4 Dead "Survival Pack" DLC Coming This Spring

Left 4 Dead will be geting a new multiplayer mode and two Versus campaigns as part of the "Survival Pack" DLC due for PC and Xbox 360 this spring, Valve announced today.

The Survival Pack introduces a new multiplayer mode appropriately named "Survival" as well as two complete campaigns for the Versus mode. The DLC will be released simultaneously for both PC and 360, which hasn't been the case for Valve's Team Fortress 2, which has seen multiple significant (and free) updates on the PC but little attention on the 360 (and none on the PS3). No pricing for the Survival Pack was announced, but given that the main reason Valve has been hesitant to put TF2 DLC on the 360 is that they'd be forced [http://kotaku.com/5040417/team-fortress-2-updates-coming-to-xbox-360-later-this-year] to charge for it, I think it's safe to assume it'll cost something, which may irk PC gamers who are used to getting free content updates from Valve.

In any case, if you really want to pay for it, Valve's also releasing a Left 4 Dead: Critic's Choice edition (I'd call it Left 4.5 Dead but that's just me) to retail stores in the spring as well, which will include the original game content packed with the DLC as well.

The PC will be getting one freebie, though: the first Left 4 Dead release for the Source SDK, which will let user develop their own campaigns and then set them into the wilds of L4D's matchmaking system. "Since Half-Life launched in 1998, Valve has made continuous efforts to expand the offering of its products beyond what's included on the day of launch," Gabe Newell remarked. "With Half-Life and Counter-Strike, and more recently Team Fortress 2, we've learned that we're no longer making stand-alone games but creating entertainment services. With Left 4 Dead we're extending that tradition by creating additional gameplay and releasing our internal tools to aspiring developers so they may also create and distribute new Left 4 Dead experiences."

Can't wait for a thousand Dawn of the Dead [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077402/] tribute maps and the inevitable "Zombie Penis Island."

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
sweet, it's about freakin' time! been waiting for the other two campaigns for versus mode since the game launched.... i just hate that we have to wait for these updates on "Valve time", which seems to run outside of the normal space/time continium that the rest of us humans are confined to....

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
sweet, it's about freakin' time! been waiting for the other two campaigns for versus mode since the game launched.... i just hate that we have to wait for these updates on "Valve time", which seems to run outside of the normal space/time continium that the rest of us humans are confined to....
Valve Time? I prefer Miller Time.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Given that most Valve updates are compulsary (on PC) do you really think they're going to charge for it? I can see that going down like a lead balloon if they make the game so you can't play it without paying extra.

I look forward to playing this some time around christmas...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I can't play L4D and it's pissing me off. Too much lag, even on single player, so I'm not sure what the problem is but it means the game sucks when I try and play it. Anyone know how to reduce lag?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
fish food carl said:
Are you kidding? I'd gladly pay a little more in MS points to play this new stuff. L4D is just awesome.
MS points? You're on about the xbox then.

Steam's never charged for an update, it's always been free. But then it also won't let you play the game without the update. you either play online with the new content or not at all. I was trying to assert that there could be a problem if Valve applies the same update system but charges you for the privilege.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
Trivun said:
I can't play L4D and it's pissing me off. Too much lag, even on single player, so I'm not sure what the problem is but it means the game sucks when I try and play it. Anyone know how to reduce lag?
Lag in single player? Are you sure your computer is capable of running L4D? Or if it is, if you've updated your graphics card/directx drivers?

dungeonmaster

Apr 30, 2008
Trivun said:
I had the same problem, and I just got a brand new computer.
Turns out I had to get older drivers for my video card. I still have some lag on occassion, but my roommate tells me its because Im using windows xp. Try downloading the demo of windows 7, I here that its solves a ton of problems

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
FarleShadow said:
Trivun said:
Lag in single player? Are you sure your computer is capable of running L4D? Or if it is, if you've updated your graphics card/directx drivers?
*I* have a poor graphics card atm, it still runs beautifully. My card's an Nvidia 7600gs ffs.
Lags in single player? I'd say it was the RAM that was the issue

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Cool, a new mode and getting dead air and death toll on versus is pretty sweet, and you know I'd rather pay to get my DlC now, rather than waiting like I am for TF2 DLC, screw trying to get it for free I just want my updates already!

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
fish food carl said:
fix-the-spade said:
Given that most Valve updates are compulsary (on PC) do you really think they're going to charge for it? I can see that going down like a lead balloon if they make the game so you can't play it without paying extra.

I look forward to playing this some time around christmas...
Are you kidding? I'd gladly pay a little more in MS points to play this new stuff. L4D is just awesome. I mean, I was perfectly happy to pay for Operation Anchorage, why do people have a problem with the fact that new content costs money? The makers have made something new and fresh for us to enjoy, like the game itself, so why does it not make sense that a new part to the game costs a part of the game's price?
That would be because you're accustomed to purchasing DLC on an Xbox(since Microsoft makes people charge for it.) Fellow Steam users find that barbaric!

Ok, I have no idea why I just said that. I have no real beefs with Xbox... but the point is, it's not something Valve followers are used to having to do. I really am surprised that the DLC will cost anything on PC. I can't imagine it'll cost that much. Although at least we get the SDK for free, which should allow for some interesting mods in the future.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Replayability is always a good thing. I hope they do a great job with this - a lot of my friends are infatuated with this game's multiplayer, and I've gotta say, from what I've seen from it, it's very good. If we have to pay for some new content (guns, zombies, maps, campaigns) I think that it's good and fair.

bart12300

Feb 4, 2009
Are the two new versus campaigns going to be brand new maps, or are they simply going to make Dead Air and Death Toll open to play versus on? The new multiplayer mode already sounds fun just by hearing the title anyways!

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
I had bought L4D with the impression that, much like Team Fortress 2, new content would be added free-of-charge. The original release always seemed a little, well, thin for a full-priced co-op game so I assumed new stuff would be added. Heck, TF2 was $30 standalone and their updates are free, so why pay extra money for more stuff in the $50 game? I prefer not to pay for extra content unless there's so much new stuff that it could be a standalone expansion pack, ala the Half-Life episodes.

Random aside: what modders really need to do is add a "Dawn of the Dead" mode... normal-paced zombies, no specials, but one or two hits kill and only headshots work.