Legacy of the Void announced but nobody seems to care at this point.

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
I noticed that LotV was announced along with Blizzard's new game Overwatch and it seemed to just pass over everybody's heads. Watcha all think?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
RavingSturm said:
I noticed that LotV was announced along with Blizzard's new game Overwatch and it seemed to just pass over everybody's heads. Watcha all think?
I still care as Protoss are my favorite race but I only found out a few hours ago because everything BUT LotV is being reported on. Ended up simply noticing the trailer on Youtube.

The biggest problem for me now is finishing HotS. I hate playing Zerg.

Morgoth780

Aug 6, 2014
Well, Starcraft 2 has been out for 4 years. Also the new units, at least to me, seem underwhelming.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I still haven't picked up Heart Of The Swarm

I feel like Starcraft lost a bit of it's story in the new game. Brood War ended with Kerrigan winning and Raynor vowing to kill her and then in 2, Kerrigan's just been hanging out.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Gizmo1990 said:
RavingSturm said:
I still care as Protoss are my favorite race but I only found out a few hours ago because everything BUT LotV is being reported on. Ended up simply noticing the trailer on Youtube.

The biggest problem for me now is finishing HotS. I hate playing Zerg.
Yeah the campaign for HOTS is kind of piss easy. The last mission can be completed with one unit. As for the rest build Hydralisks and Roachs. Use Kerrigan's heal ability on CD. Easy.

Gali

Nov 19, 2009
reasons:
- RTS is a very underrepresented/unpopular genre atm
- for the casual player, it is just a campaign mission pack
- multiplayer is hard to get into in this day and age where people don't want to put much effort into learning games
- teamladder is a joke because nobody takes it seriously and Blizz has enough work with balancing 1v1 - though Archon mode looks fun
- arcade is free anyway
- talking/reporting about anything besides the new campaign that is more than "this is new and here are some youtube videos" is hard for the average gaming journalist, you have to understand the game and it's metagame at least a little
- the most obvious one: Blizzard finally decides to make a new franchise, in a genre they never touched before

So yeah... I am quite excited for this addon just for the changes to starting workers/minerals alone. It means more ressources to work with much sooner into the game. Also more frequent expanding is required, which I like since I am a more macro oriented player. The fact that the addon is standalone is nice, but I would prefer a f2p option for multiplayer. I don't think that (at least on the PC) eSport titles that you have to buy to play are viable in the long run. New units? Overall I think it is a good direction because many of them require more micro management out of the players. Unit changes are weird as always. I'm not happy with Terran and Protoss to be honest. Since Zerg got their Lurker back, I wish T and P would get an old unit into the mix too. Colossus for example is a fucking broken unit. And I say that as a Protoss player. Take it out, put the Reaver in. Instead of the Cyclone and the Widow Mine, put the Vulture back in so you have a similar unit that requires more micro and still justify the existence of the Hellion. Also, holy fuck I feel bad for Terrans in TvP. Splitting Marines against Colossus, Storm AND the new Disruptor will be horrible. Oh well, I could go on... As always, everything is subject to change. The final product can be something completely different in that regard. Oh and there will be tournaments integrated into the ladder. Something I already experienced with Warcraft 3. Took them 2 Starcraft 2 games to finally do that. *slow clap*

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
I think you're misunderstanding something OP.
Legacy of the Void was announced ages ago (believe me though, I don't blame you for not knowing because there hasn't been any coverage on it), they just recently revealed new information on it.
There's no real buzz because there's nothing major, and also because there have been mixed feelings on the last two SC2 installments.

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
I love Star Craft II --- but for me it was the story and campaign. Can't say I don't like doing the multiplayer battles...because I simply suck at RTS's. You go in now, you'll get pummeled by RTS gurus, particuarlly the Star Craft competitive players. I guess I like building the units and watching them go back and fourth.

Having said that --- I think this is attributed to the fact it takes so damn long for these folks to come out with their continuations. I can see you want to get your product right but... if you build your base game and then in turn, it takes you nearly half of a US Presidency to bring out another installment, chances are, its just going to be old by the time its released.

A lot can happen with computers and graphics in 4 years. They should really speed up the process a bit. The time it gets in your hands, you the player, have probably moved on to bigger and better things.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Eddie the head said:
Yeah the campaign for HOTS is kind of piss easy. The last mission can be completed with one unit. As for the rest build Hydralisks and Roachs. Use Kerrigan's heal ability on CD. Easy.
Bear in mind you can complete most maps in the Wings of Liberty campaign with only barracks units, and trying to get fancy is usually a bad plan.

Roach Hydra is a solid Zerg strategy anyway, so it's no surprise it's powerful in campaign.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I'm looking forward to it, there just isn't really that much to discuss about it. Everyone who cares knew the game was coming and everyone figured it was inevitably going to be presented this Blizzcon, which it was, with exactly the sort of features everyone expected and were looking forward to. About the only surprise being that it will be a standalone expansion, which still doesn't really change anything.

Compared to the more exciting announcements, mainly Blizzard announcing their first new IP in... how many years now? Yeah, little wonder Legacy of the Void was a bit overshadowed.

I expect as it comes closer to release and Blizz start throwing out trailers and the inevitable epic intro cinematic, you'll see a lot more hype then. For now however everything's pretty much just going as expected.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
No one cares because Legacy of the Void was announced a long time ago. They didn't announce it this year, they just gave some details about the new units and what the campaign mode will be like.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Most people I know are super hyped for it, especially after the trailer.

So much hype!

However for most people the problem was that there was just too much other news. Completely new Blizzard IP? That gets people interested. New expansion for Hearthstone? That definitely gets people interested. The final part of SC2 that we've been waitin for since WoL came out? Excitin, but in an odd way old news.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
Well, as others have already mentioned, Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm were met with middling reactions. Blizzard burned down their reputation as one of the best in the industry with Wings of Liberty and Diablo III, so Legacy of Void being all but forgotten isn't really that surprising. A story-focused expansion pack to a mediocre game with a terrible story isn't going to set the world on fire. Blizzard just aren't as important as they used to be.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Zeh Don said:
Well, as others have already mentioned, Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm were met with middling reactions. Blizzard burned down their reputation as one of the best in the industry with Wings of Liberty and Diablo III, so Legacy of Void being all but forgotten isn't really that surprising. A story-focused expansion pack to a mediocre game with a terrible story isn't going to set the world on fire. Blizzard just aren't as important as they used to be.
Yeah, they burned down their reputation with one of the best-received RTS titles of all time. Everyone was heartbroken. Commercial failure.

-eyesrolledupsohighImightgetathirdone-

Cryselle

Soulless Fire-Haired Demon Girl
Nov 20, 2009
People get excited when there's something new or unexpected happening. I like SC2, and I know a LOT of other people who also like SC2, but if you're a big fan of the games then there's not a lot really new or exciting in the LotV information. Getting an idea of what the new units are supposed to be is interesting and all, but you're talking about a game that is all about numbers. Whether any of these units are /good/ or not will be all about their resource cost, their build time, how much health they have, damage they do, etc... things that are going to be changed probably many times over between now and the actual launch.

Compare to Overwatch which fits the bill of 'new and unexpected' very well, and there's no surprise which one of the announcements has people talking.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
That's because Legacy of the Void is still Starcraft II when you get down to it.

But Overwatch? Overwatch is completely new. It could be ANYTHING.