Legal to sell, illegal to own

Odd Water

Mar 6, 2010
This is something I've seen and been hearing about for several years and it never really made sence to me when you put it all together.

In the States, there are many cities and areas where it is illegal to have window tinting on a vehical that is darker then a specific degree/shade. There are various reasons, and of course exceptions such as limos, government vehicles, etc.

But in the same cities and areas it is legal for businesses to sell kits to put such tinting on a personal vehical or such, or even provide the survice to put it on themselves for the costomer, and as soon as the car is driven off the grounds it is considered illegal. I've seen cars ticketed right out of such places as soon as they pull off.

It just seems weird to me. Shouldn't it be illegal to even put this stuff on then? (Or just make it legal fully.) It just comes off to me like saying its legal for a person to sell a dangerious chemecal or gun from a store or a contraband item, but illegal for the person to have it once they walk out the door. Shouldn't something of this nature be illegal to even sell or do then?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Interesting....

I KNOW THE REASON!

It's a conspiracy! The stores still make money and the cops have people to arrest, making it appear like they are achieving something!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Sorry, ummm... Do you mean tinting, as in the tint of the window and so on?

If so, then I say get that crazy law out of there. If you're not going to bother with the preventative measures, what was the point of the action then?

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
It's also a matter of public versus private space. The government owns the roads and can more easily create a regulation against something in that space than it can pass a law to ban something on private property. It is weird, but it makes sense from that perspective.

Liudeius

Oct 5, 2010
Like you said, the service is legal because there are exceptions to the no dark tinting rule.

cream

Apr 26, 2010
It's kind of the same thing for stereo systems. It's not illegal to have them, but if loud enough, a cop can pull you over, and give you a ticket for noise pollution. I have been lucky, and haven't gotten ticket yet. I've been given a warning though.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Odd Water said:
This is something I've seen and been hearing about for several years and it never really made sence to me when you put it all together.

In the States, there are many cities and areas where it is illegal to have window tinting on a vehical that is darker then a specific degree/shade. There are various reasons, and of course exceptions such as limos, government vehicles, etc.

But in the same cities and areas it is legal for businesses to sell kits to put such tinting on a personal vehical or such, or even provide the survice to put it on themselves for the costomer, and as soon as the car is driven off the grounds it is considered illegal. I've seen cars ticketed right out of such places as soon as they pull off.

It just seems weird to me. Shouldn't it be illegal to even put this stuff on then? (Or just make it legal fully.) It just comes off to me like saying its legal for a person to sell a dangerious chemecal or gun from a store or a contraband item, but illegal for the person to have it once they walk out the door. Shouldn't something of this nature be illegal to even sell or do then?
There are people who OWN cars that have such dark tinting, but do not DRIVE them. Which works, as I believe the law only applies to when the vehicle is being driven on public roads.

So the law wouldn't apply to a collector who has a sports car they want only for looks, and to add to the aesthetic appeal want to tint the windows extremely dark. But as soon as that car's on the road, it's not legal.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Somewhat related, but in New York State more fireworks are banned, but it is legal for out-of-state stores to advertise these fireworks in NY.

Odd Water

Mar 6, 2010
Liudeius said:
Like you said, the service is legal because there are exceptions to the no dark tinting rule.
I'm talking about why is it legal to put on and sell illegal tinting. The workers themselves put it on normal cars, not just limos and the exception to the rule types. But anybody can just drive up in their personal vehical, buy it, have it put on, then drive away and its considered illegal on the spot. I'm wondering why if they outlaw in in such a manner why is the act of selling it legal? Its like saying a company can take a drug, legal by some measures, but then sell it to anybody that wants it, and then they are fine, but the person that bought it and has it is in trouble.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Dulcinea said:
FalloutJack said:

If so, then I say get that crazy law out of there. If you're not going to bother with the preventative measures, what was the point of the action then?
To flex our governmental muscle, of course!
Of course! That must be it!

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Welcome to the world of American law, where everything is contrived and senseless!

There are a few direct contradictions in the law books (The one the OP brought up isn't one of them, but it's close), so it's pretty much a 'whatever'.

I blame the fact that there are too many laws on the books, and the system making it too difficult to change 'broken' laws, but all too easy to add new ones. Then again, I think every law should be a single sentence or not be allowed at all.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
its similar to the shops that sell bongs and such, I mean you can only really use them for illegal purposes but you can still sell them

Odd Water

Mar 6, 2010
cream said:
It's kind of the same thing for stereo systems. It's not illegal to have them, but if loud enough, a cop can pull you over, and give you a ticket for noise pollution. I have been lucky, and haven't gotten ticket yet. I've been given a warning though.
That one is bit more flexable, as one's volume can be adjusted. The tinting on a windown doesn't change by a button. But that is more like saying going 120 mph is against the law, so why do they sell cars that can do that? They enforce it when a person chooses to push the gas pedel more, as they would when you turn your music up more. The tinting is more of an absoulte, it either is legal or not. Your speed or sound is adjustable.

Nov 9, 2009
It's perfectly legal to own a car with dark tinted windows, but you wouldn't be able to register it or drive it on the road like that. Of course, many people do anyway and just don't get caught.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Worgen said:
its similar to the shops that sell bongs and such, I mean you can only really use them for illegal purposes but you can still sell them
Very strong comparison, and there's nothing wrong with selling bongs, it's not the government's job to ban things that can be used illegally, but to catch people using it illegally.

Odd Water

Mar 6, 2010
Dulcinea said:
FalloutJack said:
Dulcinea said:
FalloutJack said:

To flex our governmental muscle, of course!
Of course! That must be it!

I've no idea what that show is, but it just got a laugh outta me. Nice.
Mel Brook's Blazing Saddles. One of my top fav movies ever.

Odd Water

Mar 6, 2010
Worgen said:
Its close but not the same. But the bong isn't illegal, its the use of it with drugs. The dark tinting of a certain degree/shade IS illegal if not on a vehical its allowed. This is the thing I don't get.