Legend of Grimrock Goes Old-School Dungeon Crawling

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
I played Eye of the Beholder on the SNES. It was the first game where I actually got out graph paper and mapped where I was going (after having spent two days plotting out what I wanted my party to be and rolling their stats until I got something good). I still got terribly lost due to stupid teleport traps.

The game was a lot of fun, never finished it though. :(

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
If you haven't played it yet get Wizardry 8 if you can. It is a lovingly made goodbye letter to the "first person party" genre. Not sure it plays on vista/7 though but that is what dosbox is for.

Its a 10 year old game and used copies still go for $60, but let me tell you it is WORTH $60.
You have to be freaking kidding me! I still have that game!

Got it a couple of years after release, and was the first real RPG I bought (I played Diablo II on a friend's PC, but didn't get it until later).

Fucking loved it. And yes, it runs on 7, though I have had some issues with disk checks.

Khravv

Jun 8, 2011
I don't normally get freaked out by spiders, but there was something creepy about the way the first spider crawled out of the darkness into the torch light.

Max Wilco

Jun 9, 2011
From watching the trailer, I was actually reminded of Stonekeep, since it seems like the combat was in real-time, rather than turn-based.

sgtleeemery

Mar 29, 2011
Max Wilco said:
From watching the trailer, it looks like the combat is in real-time, rather than turn-based, which makes me think it will be more akin to Stonekeep.
Which definitely isn't a bad thing.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Wuffykins said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
This is not a dungeon crawl its a first person RPG!
Actually this is what the term Dungeon Crawler used to describe before Diablo came around and nicked it (eg: Wizardry, Might & Magic, Dungeon Master, etc ...), hence the 'Old-School' moniker.
Worm rounds and Dungeon Master, I miss Dungeon Master.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Is it just me, or did that totally look like a giant, evil plaid snail?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Website's back. I didn't include a link in the original post (it's there now) but you can check it out at www.grimrock.net [http://www.grimrock.net].

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
It looks to be a pretty damn awesome throwback game. I remember playing Eye of the Beholder when I was a kid and quite enjoying it, so seeing that a dev is making a game like this just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :p

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Oh this game makes me happy. I loved the old SSI RPGs. I'm sooooo getting this when it comes out.