Legend of Grimrock Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Legend of Grimrock Review

Even if you?re utterly new to this specific type of RPG, there?s a lot of dungeon delving to enjoy in Legend of Grimrock.

Read Full Article

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
You know, if this game was setup like Diablo (overhead click-smashing), Dragon Age (mobile over-head/-shoulder tactical), or Skyrim (first-person or third person low-tech) I'd probably be all over it. But there's a reason we no longer have grid-based RPGs.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Azuaron said:
You know, if this game was setup like Diablo (overhead click-smashing), Dragon Age (mobile over-head/-shoulder tactical), or Skyrim (first-person or third person low-tech) I'd probably be all over it. But there's a reason we no longer have grid-based RPGs.
And that reason is...?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
It's good to know that you reviewed this with no, as you said, rose tinted glasses. Some people would dismiss your review as being blinded by nostalgia, when really you're recognizing it as a great game in its own right.

I've been playing this game for a while, and not only does it draw you in for hours, but it's fairly challenging. I keep getting murdered by groups of spiders and those weird mushroom things that make poison clouds >.>

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Dont feel guilty about abusing the AI targeting. Deeper down it will become quite vital unless you enjoy your reloading process, because after a certain point most enemies will do so much damage that its suicide to take them head on. I tried it the manly way, they promptly hacked off my pectorals and made them into a patty.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
yeah i remember the level 9 ice lizards...ill say this one time only. FUCK THOSE FUCKING LIZARDS. but otherwise, nice game. but seriously thou....FUCK THOSE LIZARDS...

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
draythefingerless said:
yeah i remember the level 9 ice lizards...ill say this one time only. FUCK THOSE FUCKING LIZARDS. but otherwise, nice game. but seriously thou....FUCK THOSE LIZARDS...
I remember once I was trying to get through that part with only one character left. I ran into one of them and it attacked me, almost killing me. I proceeded to run away and turn a few corners only to find it waiting for me in the direction I needed to go. I immediately thought "Clever girl!" before it proceeded to gut me and devour my entrails.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Although I did play some dungeon crawlers in their time, I was not a big fan of them too. And I'm also loving Legend of Grimrock. I also have the same problem with the controls, clicking the wrong mouse button in the middle of battle. I quite regret going with the default party, would be much better to have 2 mages instead of a mage and a rogue.

Anyway, I still have to finish it, and it's a very good experience so far.

bobstone

confused by humans
Sep 8, 2010
how is grid paper included in the download? honest question, do you mean to imply that you open your "MAP" in game, but you are responsible for filling it out ?

fyi if not that is an awesome idea so no one steal it from me.....

or did you just misspeak? and meant to say the store bought version?

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
tautologico said:
would be much better to have 2 mages instead of a mage and a rogue.
I've got two mages in my party right now. It lets each of them specialize, but it adds about twice as many clicks to combat and slows down the attack rotation. You could give your back row rogue the long reach ability for daggers, and I've also been reading about a cheesy minotaur high strength archer build.

bobstone said:
how is grid paper included in the download? honest question, do you mean to imply that you open your "MAP" in game, but you are responsible for filling it out ?
The GOG version comes with a nice blank map PDF that has a space for notes on it.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
bobstone said:

fyi if not that is an awesome idea so no one steal it from me.....

or did you just misspeak? and meant to say the store bought version?
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\legend of grimrock\extras

It's actual graph paper so you can map by hand with paper and pencil.

bobstone

confused by humans
Sep 8, 2010
cool cool, just seems kinda weird to print graph paper, but I guess not everyone actually keeps a few stacks or knows where to buy them. and it is cool to print them, I just never thought of doing that with graph paper...

so off-topic quick like, would you use an in-game mapper ? assuming it had a good user interface appropriate to the games mapping needs? in the case of this game it would be simplicity it self to create and use I would think since it is grid based.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Fuck yeah, it's lands of lore before it turned to shit with jump&run puzzles and stuff.
And with less story but whatever.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I am totally playing a different game than everyone else. This is coming from someone who did play a ton of old school RPGs, including tons of the old Might and Magic titles but I just cannot get into this one. I am going to get there eventually, slogging through it right now to try and beat it, generally streaming it with friends watching because otherwise its too depressing to play.
I just can't fathom all the design features that are obviously done consciously but are so bad, there is a reason they don't do them anymore. I get it is meant to be a throwback but would it have totally ruined it for everyone if they just added some quality of life features? Really, the inventory mini-game of constantly rotating crap around is not fun and it wasn't fun back then either.
Also, I am only on lvl. 6 right now, but the game is showing its(I assume) low budget. If you have a fetish for masonry, you certainly won't get bored but if you want to see something besides the same 3 walls cut and pasted until the end of time, you are screwed.
Here's hoping it gets better instead of worse!

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Fr said:
anc[is]
Azuaron said:
And that reason is...?
The controls suck (I thought that would be clear within context of my saying controls that would work).

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Azuaron said:
The controls suck (I thought that would be clear within context of my saying controls that would work).
But they do work. They aren't broke, and the entire point of the game was a return to that style. You just don't like them.

Mabster

May 8, 2011
Azuaron said:
The grid based system is a large element in what makes dungeon crawlers fun. The strict and logical rules make the devious puzzles possible and give a nice tactical feel to the combat. After a while the immersion kicks in, and hopping between squares and 90 degree turns become perfectly normal. It's a system very much tied to the core the genre, and the game wouldn't be as good without it.