Legend of Korra Book 4 Premiere Surprisingly Close

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
On one hand, yay more Korra, on the other, that's the end of Korra (and most likely Avatar as a show). They already said it was done, so it's good to see that it's getting shipped out when it's finished, rather then being kept on the burner whilst suits talk to advertisers and toy manufacturers.

Curious to see how Zelda performs, does the spirit of Robin live on?!

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
That's both great and sad news. Great that we wont be waiting long for the next season of Avatar, especially given how fantastic season 3 turned out to have been. Sad in that it's also likely to be the last season of Avatar, possibly ever. At the very least it's the end of Korra's story, which is a shame because as a protagonist I really liked her, even moreso than Aang in a number of ways.

I would hope someone other than Nick would pick the series up, as it seems like for whatever reason Nick really don't much care for the show. Barely advertising it and not even showing it on television. It's tempting to say they don't like the show because it wasn't getting the viewership they were hoping for, but then they also deliberately failed to advertise it and put it in awkward time slots for TV so what were they expecting?

Still for all their blundering the series is at least getting a proper ending with a final season 4, so there's that at least.

Saltyk said:
Like others, I'm concerned. This makes me worry about the animation quality. Will they not have the budget?
As I understand it seasons 3 and 4 were done around the same time by the same people, so you can expect the same level of quality as you saw in the third season.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Mike Hoffman said:
Wow. I expected it would be sooner, but I did not expect this. I mean, it's true that it doesn't show a lot of love on Nick's part, but this was meant to be the final season anyway and it remains intact. We're still getting our Korra, just quicker and with less publicity.
My thoughts exactly. What does it matter at this point if nickelodeon is washing their hands of korra? Four full seasons will be out there regardless, and this is the age of on demand TV: even if nickelodeon decides to never broadcast or stream another episode again, they'll pop up soon enough on DVD, netflix, hulu, crunchyroll... The only difference is we won't be forced to wait a few more months before the final batch of episodes is added to the list. If that bothers you, you can always choose to watch them later. Personally I don't mind one bit though, it's a very welcome change of pace from doctor who's infamous hiatuses.

The only possible downside I see is how this doesn't bode well for a third series. But I'm confident the show has proven it's merit by now regardless. If Dimartino and Konietzko say they have another series in them, I'm sure someone will gladly air it.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Saltyk said:
Like others, I'm concerned. This makes me worry about the animation quality. Will they not have the budget? And what about future Avatar series? I'd love to see more Avatar stories with future Avatars.

How would the next Fire Nation Avatar fare? Would he feel a lot of weight on his shoulders considering the legacy of Roku was failing to stop the 100 Year War?

Will the next Air Nomad Avatar be a descendant of Aang? And considering what was implied at the end of Book 3, how would the Air Nomads bring up a new Avatar?

Can there ever be a Earth Bending Avatar that could be more awesome than Toph?

What role will the Avatar play in a world where technology seems to be advancing and how will the Spirits react as things progress?

This is a series which can tell near infinite tales and has a rich world. I'd hate to see it vanish. I suppose we'll always have Aang and Korra, but I'd like to see more.

As for Season Four, I'd see Suyin as a potential villain. Her right hand man was working for Zaheer. She also gave a very odd expression when it was revealed that he was the traitor. She also stated a dislike for the Earth Queen and some people even think she had ties to Zaheer due to a very odd picture that seems to show a young Suyin riding on the shoulder of a man who could pass for Zaheer's twin.

Though, it could be anyone.

The animation quality should be fine as it started production the same time as season 3 did and the recording of the voice actors was according to various sources done alternately with one season 3 episode followed by a season 4 episode (so they can animate the lip syncing accurately).

But yeah with this I don't have any hopes of a third series set in the Avatar animated universe at all.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Cool, looking forward for another season finale where Jinora saves the day yet again. Just give the Tenzin family their own show already.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
As far as I'm concerned, Nick has voted no confidence in the series with all the stuff that happened moving it off the network at the end of Book 3.

I don't know why they did it, but I can't say I'm angry. I think the show is pretty bad, and it missed every opportunity to deliver something special. A terrible love story, a terrible main character, and questionable messages. Korra is one of the worst characters I've seen in recent cartoon history. If they're trying to kill off the show, better sooner than later. That way the creators can move on to something else and wash their hands of this disaster of a heroine.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
While it does suck it's ending so soon, we are getting the four seasons promised (and originally it was just going to be the first season only and it got extended), and at least Nick is letting it finish, even if it's not on TV. We can be sad about it, but they supported the show more than Fox ever did something like Firefly.

On the positive... yay, more Korra! And SOON!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
This was... unexpected. I was thinking that the series would have started early next year, not a month after the last series ended. It is pretty clear that Nickolodeon have pretty much abandoned Avatar after they pulled a FOX on Book 3 and forgot to advertise the show properly, but at least we are getting Book 4. What concerns me though is if Mir were rushed to get the series out so soon, or if they have been cranking these episodes out at the speed of light. It is kinda sad that this will be the end of Korra, and as far as I know, the end of the Avatar franchise*.

*[sub]Studio Mir have signed a deal with Dreamworks to produce 4 animated shows, and unless Dreamworks purchased the rights to the Avatar franchise, then they are going to have their hands full doing other work. Also, Mike and Brian have also stated that they aren't currently thinking about a post-Korra series and want to take a break for a while, but arent going to rule anything out.[/sub]

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
I can see it now...

Korra close to death while Toph is standing next to her, trying to comfort and ease the pain. But the best she can only do so much without proper waterbending (metalbending the small traces of iron in her blood does not do sufficient enough to help her, only to keep her alive for mere moments).
As Korra speaks out:"Come closer..." we all gasp and hold our breaths! Will she really die?
Then Korra enter avatar mode. Oh no! All the avatars might die (again)!

"Toph..." Raava now speaks, "You must do something very important for the sake of all future people... I'm sorry...".
Naturally, everyone now is "wth?"
Suddenly, fear strikes Toph. You can see it clearly in her face, she has never looked so scared before.
Reason for that being that Korra's body is slowly melting, as if it was old unused props from Indiana Jones.

Toph, who is usually very calm and collected, now screams out "Korra! What's happening?! KORRA!".
But when Korras body is a mere liquid fluid, it engulfs Toph.
"Fight it! Take control, don't lose yourself!" can be heard in Korras voice.
Rest of the scene is Toph being melded with this liquid, then cut to black.

A Toph-like spirit-golem is later found at the scene by one of Korras new season 4 followers.
The golem is made completely out of a rock and iron compound. It speaks out "They are fine, do not worry child.".

But Alcamonic, what does it all mean?
Well, that they will sell a lot of pockets with the continuation of the story, of course!.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I have already marked it in my phone to remind me!!! I hate to see how Nick has treated LoK, but I personally will watch them all, and also continue to buy them on blu-ray as the books come out. Hopefully enough folks do this, so that this isnt the last of the world of Avatar that we see. That would be... heartbreaking.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I heard about this last night and I'm super excited about it.

I have a question about the metal bender girl though. Everyone keeps saying that she first appears in those last few episodes, but I thought she showed up when they first arrive at Metal City. There's one guard there who is female and she seems to be in charge, or at least high up the chain of command, judging by the way some people talk to her. Isn't she the same person as Kuvira? I mean, they never call her by name and she doesn't take off her helmet, but she pops up a few times so I just assumed it was her.
Or is she a completely different girl?

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:

I have a question about the metal bender girl though. Everyone keeps saying that she first appears in those last few episodes, but I thought she showed up when they first arrive at Metal City. There's one guard there who is female and she seems to be in charge, or at least high up the chain of command, judging by the way some people talk to her. Isn't she the same person as Kuvira? I mean, they never call her by name and she doesn't take off her helmet, but she pops up a few times so I just assumed it was her.
I may be misremembering, so if I'm incorrect, anyone can feel free to pop in and set the record straight, but I do believe we briefly saw her earlier on. The camera just never focused on her until that brief moment near the end of the season, which is also when we got her name.

It felt kind of out of place for the show to deliberately call our attention to her so close to the end, so I imagine she's going to be important to some degree in book 4.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
roseofbattle said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

I may be misremembering, so if I'm incorrect, anyone can feel free to pop in and set the record straight, but I do believe we briefly saw her earlier on. The camera just never focused on her until that brief moment near the end of the season, which is also when we got her name.

It felt kind of out of place for the show to deliberately call our attention to her so close to the end, so I imagine she's going to be important to some degree in book 4.
It's true, we see her immediately as the team gets to the Metal Clan (Kuvira is one of the dancers, later she is seen as one of the guards). She's in at least 2 or 3 episodes briefly. But yeah, she's brought to attention during the finale only, I never thought of her more than just a background character and I didn't really make the connection that it's the same person. I saw it later when someone put the screencaps side by side.

I'm glad that we're getting the last season without much delay, but it shows what terrible treatment it got in the end. It's a shame really that Nick couldn't do it justice. Third season was great and they were working on third and fourth season in the same time, so I have high hopes for the last one.