Legend of Korra: Book Three Trailer Released Early

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Legend of Korra: Book Three Trailer Released Early

The Legend of Korra: Book Three trailer was released after a portion of the upcoming season leaked.

Because someone goofed, we get a surprise treat.

On June 3rd, co-creator Michael DiMartino announced on [a href="http://michaeldantedimartino.tumblr.com/post/87767142630/today-we-finished-the-final-sound-mix-of-book-3-at#notes"]his tumblr[/a] that production of Book Three: Change was complete. On June 7th, Nickelodeon's Mexican affiliate MundoNick accidentally posted a few of the episodes, according to [a href="http://www.hypable.com/2014/06/08/early-episodes-of-the-legend-of-korra-season-3-leak-online/"]Hypable[/a] (spoilers are available in that link, but they are hidden, so it is safe to visit). Other co-creator, Bryan Konietzko, said on [a href="http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/88503971532/michaeldantedimartino-the-official-100-real"]his tumblr[/a] "Thanks to the shenanigans of Leaky McLeakerpants, we have released the *OFFICIAL* Book 3 trailer early."

The Legend of Korra: Book Three trailer and a release date were [a href="http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/94131/20140604/legend-of-korra-book-3.htm"]expected at San Diego Comic-Con[/a]. Book 2 saw a premiere of the first episode and a trailer release at SDCC in 2013 and the season began to air two months later - and expected a similar pattern for Book Three.

For those unfamiliar, "Book" pretty much equals "season" for Legend of Korra and the series preceding it, Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Discussion of the trailer below contains spoilers for Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra Books One and Two.

The first thing that stuck me about the trailer was the music. It starts of low and tense, reminded me of Hans Zimmer's work on The Dark Knight trilogy. It's still very "Korra", but it definitely has that feel, especially through the build up and all the way to the end of the trailer.

During the building progression, the events shown in the trailer increase in their emotional impact, especially some of the familiar faces, all the fighting, and Korra standing near a spirit - and I guess lava-bending is a thing now?

Which characters show up? Basically, all the main cast from the previous books. Meelo shows up more than I expected, and Jinora appears to still be interacting with the spiritual side of life and getting into trouble. There are also what appear to be a bunch of airbenders? Tonraq, Korra's father, and Aubrey Plaza's Eska, Korra's cousin, also make appearances.

Oh, and apparently Zuko! It was mentioned in the series that he was still alive and it seems that finally he is making an appearance, sporting a beard similar to his uncle, Iroh, and doing a little firebending.

There were a few I couldn't place, such as the young woman with an eye on her forehead, similar to Combustion Man from Book Three of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Also, there were a few shots from a prison cell featuring a long-haired man. In one of the clips he is sporting some Khal Drogo style tattoos, although it could be a different guy in this clip. Is this someone from the previous books that I'm forgetting? Also, who is the waterbending woman in a cage?

After getting a brief hint at where the series might be going, it looks like Book Three might be more grounded than Book Two. Of course, Book Two was entirely about the spirits and now Korra has lost her connection to the past Avatars. Still, with the bridge between the spirit and physical worlds open, I expect we will see some trouble with spirits in Book Three.

Below are some screenshots from the trailer, because the art of Legend of Korra is absolutely gorgeous. Now, I'm going to watch that trailer a few dozen more times.

[gallery=2696]

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
I didn't really expect them to continue the series after Book 2. The finally seemed to solidify the thing being all wrapped up and that there would be peace finally. I guess it wasn't too hard for them to create some sort of evil villains to disrupt the tranquility set up from that previous point.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
I'm thinking that guy in that prison cell is the villain. Is that airbending he's using? Either he's a long lost airbender who's come to rule the world or there is someone else with avatar abilities.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Saucycarpdog said:
I'm thinking that guy in that prison cell is the villain. Is that airbending he's using? Either he's a long lost airbender who's come to rule the world or there is someone else with avatar abilities.
@ 38 secs, Bumi airbending, Bumi is not a bender. My guess is, people have found ways to learn.
Probably because of the spirits, it was the lion turtles that gave people bending in the first place.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
It should be noted that lava-bending's been a thing for a while now. Roku was shown using it back in Book 3 of The Last Airbender when handling that volcano. It's a combination of Firebending and Earthbending, IIRC.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Despite not beig a fan of this series, it's nice to see traditional animation of this quality still being produced in the West.

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
Deathfish15 said:
I didn't really expect them to continue the series after Book 2. The finally seemed to solidify the thing being all wrapped up and that there would be peace finally. I guess it wasn't too hard for them to create some sort of evil villains to disrupt the tranquility set up from that previous point.
They are set up for four books total.
Saucycarpdog said:
I didn't even think of that!
Eclipse Dragon said:
@ 38 secs, Bumi airbending, Bumi is not a bender. My guess is, people have found ways to learn.
Probably because of the spirits, it was the lion turtles that gave people bending in the first place.
Oh wow, I didn't even catch that Bumi was bending. I was too hype.
jurnag12 said:
It should be noted that lava-bending's been a thing for a while now. Roku was shown using it back in Book 3 of The Last Airbender when handling that volcano. It's a combination of Firebending and Earthbending, IIRC.
Yeah, there was some lava-bending. I guess I meant now it's a thing for normal benders as well.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
It looks alot better than the last 2 seasons but in my case it is too little too late. I am either indifferent or outright hate all of the characters and not even what looks like an apperance by Zuko can make me give this show a third chance.

But I do hope the fans of the show are not disappointed again. From what I have seen even people who like the show were disappointed with how book 2 went down.

Apr 17, 2009
Looks like there's some jail-break orchestrated by the woman with the third-eye Combustion Man tattoo, and she gets herself a gang comprised of the apparently renegade old/bald airbender, the earthbender who can lavabend and the waterbender with no arms (the one duel-wielding water whips, you briefly she she hasn't got arms underneath them when she forms them in her prison).
Oh my god its an evil version of the Gaang!

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
It looks alot better than the last 2 seasons but in my case it is too little too late. I am either indifferent or outright hate all of the characters and not even what looks like an apperance by Zuko can make me give this show a third chance.

But I do hope the fans of the show are not disappointed again. From what I have seen even people who like the show were disappointed with how book 2 went down.
I really liked Book 1 (Dat Amon!), and while Book 2 wasn't..."bad", it was really weird in how the characters would react. Korra especially (though she wasn't the only one) was very insufferable right from the start. The story itself wasn't too bad, but maybe could have used some more...fleshing out or better pacing or something.

But Book 3 looks really good. From the trailers it looks like maybe we get multiple villains, and yay for more Airbenders!

Really hoping they give Asami something to do this season. She's always such an underdog to me. =(

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
Xathos said:
Gizmo1990 said:

I really liked Book 1 (Dat Amon!), and while Book 2 wasn't..."bad", it was really weird in how the characters would react. Korra especially (though she wasn't the only one) was very insufferable right from the start. The story itself wasn't too bad, but maybe could have used some more...fleshing out or better pacing or something.

But Book 3 looks really good. From the trailers it looks like maybe we get multiple villains, and yay for more Airbenders!

Really hoping they give Asami something to do this season. She's always such an underdog to me. =(
I actually liked everyone from Book Two except for Mako, but yeah, Asami needs about 300% more screen time. She's awesome. I heard someone mention that she would be in Book Three more than Two.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Despite not beig a fan of this series, it's nice to see traditional animation of this quality still being produced in the West.
Actually it's all animated in South Korea (Studio Mir) and Japan (Studio Pierrot).

I suppose everything else is done in America though.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Oh, god damn it.

After the pretty huge disappointment that was Book 2 (apart from the Wan episodes, which were great) I really wanted to just forget about this show.

But that trailer looked fucking awesome. I know I'm probably going to be let down, but....Consider me officially hyped. Against my better judgement.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Fuck it, I'm hype.

I've been following the Avatar series since it first came out and the Korra series was okay. It sated my desire for more Avatar, but didn't expand upon that desire. This trailer, however, made me damn hyped for this.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Argh...I thought the series ended already, especially after what they did last season.

As amazing as the action and storyline seem, I am not likely to get amped,at least not until the characters become more sympathetic. As it stands, I loathe half the primary cast, and all their foolishness. At least Aang was a lovable idiot, when he was being stupid at all.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Seracen said:
Argh...I thought the series ended already, especially after what they did last season.

As amazing as the action and storyline seem, I am not likely to get amped,at least not until the characters become more sympathetic. As it stands, I loathe half the primary cast, and all their foolishness. At least Aang was a lovable idiot, when he was being stupid at all.
Exactly, I am entirely displeased with the current cast. Korra is just brash and bullheaded and the other characters all have significantly difficult-to-redeem problems.

At least they've gotten away from the city. Some of the charm of the original was the old world setup. The steampunk takes away the value of bending in a lot of ways.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Seracen said:

hey, atleast the avatar is a real character now, as opposed to just bald Jesus

i love the new series much more than the original, and the main character cast is one of the main reasons, Korra and Asami in particular, not to mention Amon is the best villian either series has ever had... second season, ok it wasnt that great, still good tough

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Well call me hyped as well.

This should be interesting, talked with a friend about it and we think since the spirit link's open this might be a "side effect" of it, like Bumi a non-bender being able to bend wind.

Or maybe it's the world trying to "balance out" the sheer lack of air bender's with "creating" more of them.

Either way, can't frakking wait to see this air. :D