Legend of Korra: Gun-damn It, Kuvira

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013

Turn off your brain and have some fun - "Kuvira's Gambit" sacrifices logic for spectacle.

Read Full Article

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I hope somebody's ready to pick up that phone, because I fucking called it. Giant robot, laser cannon would be mounted on it. Looking forward to how that all unfolds.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
MrHide-Patten said:
I hope somebody's ready to pick up that phone, because I fucking called it. Giant robot, laser cannon would be mounted on it. Looking forward to how that all unfolds.
Yeah as soon as I saw the last two episodes were called day of colossus and the last stand I knew that giant mech would be coming. I'm hoping we actually get to see the united republic military do something for once but odds are we're going to get the usual team avatar sneaks aboard enemy doom weapon and solves all the problems storyline with the spirits coming in at the last second to save the day.

Also in all honesty if we all remember that giant drill used to try and breach Ba Sing Se the jump to Metal Gear Kurava isn't that big. Giant siege weapons have been used before in this univerese so naturally them showing up again isn't that surprising.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Sadly, they kind of took the ambiguity out of how they are going to deal with the giant robot. Seriously though, Kuvira's boyfriend was a bad enough engineer that he wouldn't notice sabotage, but good enough to build that monstrosity /while/ working on recreating the spirit vine weapon? Either a lot more time has passed then I thought, or that dude is a real miracle worker, in which case I'd think he would be of such strategic worth that I find it hard to believe Kivira would just sacrifice him in such a hurry.

My guess is he didn't actually designed or built that thing. But hey, only time will tell.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Mike Hoffman said:

Turn off your brain and have some fun - "Kuvira's Gambit" sacrifices logic for spectacle.

Read Full Article

The fire nation military wasn't involved, General Iroh is a member of the united republic's military not the fire nation.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I said this in the other Korra thread, and I'll say it here: I'm betting that Kuvira gets thrown into those forgetful mists in the spirit world. If they (the writers) let her off just by throwing her in prison or seeing the error of her ways, I'm going to be very disappointed. I already didn't like how the ended the threat of the Fire Lord. Kuvira needs to go the way of Amon--gone, with no chance of coming back. And they can do it, too. They killed the first two main villains, so they clearly don't have the same problem they did with Avatar, where death was kind of frowned upon.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
Davroth said:
Sadly, they kind of took the ambiguity out of how they are going to deal with the giant robot. Seriously though, Kuvira's boyfriend was a bad enough engineer that he wouldn't notice sabotage, but good enough to build that monstrosity /while/ working on recreating the spirit vine weapon? Either a lot more time has passed then I thought, or that dude is a real miracle worker, in which case I'd think he would be of such strategic worth that I find it hard to believe Kivira would just sacrifice him in such a hurry.

My guess is he didn't actually designed or built that thing. But hey, only time will tell.
To be fair, there's nothing saying that he just started working on it. After all, even without an arm-mounted laser cannon, a giant mech seems like it'd be pretty useful. And for all the talk about Bataar being a bad engineer, there hasn't really been much to show that.

The only time he actually comes across as even slightly incompetent is when Varick turned the weapon into a bomb on the train, and even then the only thing he messed up on was Varick's intentions. He was able to evaluate the mechanics and design as "feeding into itself" or whatever, he just didn't understand why Varick had designed it that way before Varick told him immediately after.
Again, he was sabotaged right under his nose and didn't notice it at all. It took Kuvira getting suspicious to stop that. Doesn't really speak for his competence in my mind.

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
I've got to do a video review of this season sometime. I've been saving the episodes on my laptop for that purpose, but I'm still very unsure of where or how to start. I just need to get my message out there! This show is stupid! It is terribly written, the scenes are terribly blocked, and the only reason me and my roommate keep watching it is occasionally the season will surpass its consistently mediocre self with an episode so terrible its infuriatingly hilarious. The only episodes I enjoy anymore are the ones that make me feel a bit dumber after watching, at least they aren't BORING. I long ago gave up any hope of this season providing an episode that was enjoyable for the normal reasons.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
My biggest complain from the episode was the lack of Zhi Li/ Varrick resolves given that was a WEEK before Kuvira attacked! Did those two keep their distance during that week and were only closed together when Kuvira attacked.

Also I thought Bataar give in too easily when Korra threaten him she will keep him away from Kuvira forever. Did she really think she was able to do that on a run and he didn't had faith that Kuvira would hound Korra night and day to bring him back to her (well sending her gooms to get Korra)?

Oh is this the first death we seen of season 4 (the outpost being destroy and man, kid friendly for the beam not directly hitting the ship but by nearing it!). Also I doubt that is the last we seen of the flying mecha suits. I'm pretty sure that Prince Wu will be crown as Emperor by the end of it (he seen to have the biggest character development so far).

Lastly the part when the awkward wait and delay on Jr on the airship crack me up!

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
I'm going to hold off talking about the episode in general because people will do a far better job than I.

That said, I have one thing to say. One thing that has bugged me since The Last Airbender. WHY IN HELL'S NAME DO EARTHBENDERS NOT USE PITFALL TRAPS EVER?! I don't recall a single moment where they use them and their powers are geared specifically for that. Tanks, mecha-tanks and that giant robot; all of them could be defeated by a hole with a thin layer of stone above them. Trip that giant robot and you would cripple it even if the metal benders can fix it quicker than is reasonable. I was equally irritated in the first book of Korra when they did not do that against those tanks of Amon and it is pissing me off at this point. They could have turned that entire valley into a death trap but they did not because of what reasons? Because it was unsportsmanlike behaviour? It is war damn it!

Rant over, peace.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Why is it that when I read " LoK director" in an artice about Legend of Korra, the first thing I think is "What does a Legacy of Kain director to do with Avatar?"

Also, I liked the episode. The giant robot was a bit of a surprise, but now I'm expecting a giant Korra vs mech showdown.

Alex1508

Sep 20, 2014
MiskWisk said:
I'm going to hold off talking about the episode in general because people will do a far better job than I.

That said, I have one thing to say. One thing that has bugged me since The Last Airbender. WHY IN HELL'S NAME DO EARTHBENDERS NOT USE PITFALL TRAPS EVER?! I don't recall a single moment where they use them and their powers are geared specifically for that. Tanks, mecha-tanks and that giant robot; all of them could be defeated by a hole with a thin layer of stone above them. Trip that giant robot and you would cripple it even if the metal benders can fix it quicker than is reasonable. I was equally irritated in the first book of Korra when they did not do that against those tanks of Amon and it is pissing me off at this point. They could have turned that entire valley into a death trap but they did not because of what reasons? Because it was unsportsmanlike behaviour? It is war damn it!

Rant over, peace.
Doesn't Kuvira have an entire army of earthbenders as well, that can detect said traps and counter them?

Jul 9, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
My biggest complain from the episode was the lack of Zhi Li/ Varrick resolves given that was a WEEK before Kuvira attacked! Did those two keep their distance during that week and were only closed together when Kuvira attacked.
The worst thing is that they could have easily nipped it in the bud by just not having the conflict in the first place. She comes back, he remains comically oblivious, they settle into their old routines except he unexpectedly shows appreciation for her. Bam, conflict solved.

Also I thought Bataar give in too easily when Korra threaten him she will keep him away from Kuvira forever. Did she really think she was able to do that on a run and he didn't had faith that Kuvira would hound Korra night and day to bring him back to her (well sending her gooms to get Korra)?
I said this in the other Episode 11 thread, but the threats really could have been made more seriously and demonstrably. I'm not sure whether it was Nick's kid-friendly vibe conflicting with the story or whether the writers just performed that badly, but it really was a painful scene to watch.

Oh is this the first death we seen of season 4 (the outpost being destroy and man, kid friendly for the beam not directly hitting the ship but by nearing it!).
I'm pretty sure that Prince Wu will be crown as Emperor by the end of it (he seen to have the biggest character development so far).
1.) I particularly liked the scene of the outpost getting demolished by the laser. That's about as clear-cut as you can get.

2.) I hope he doesn't, though I agree he probably will. His character development comes across as impossibly forced to me, but mostly I just hope against all odds that he doesn't get the throne. Install Asami in his place. She'd be a great empress.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
Davroth said:
Again, he was sabotaged right under his nose and didn't notice it at all. It took Kuvira getting suspicious to stop that. Doesn't really speak for his competence in my mind.
Well he had no reason to go and inspect the workings of the cannon in case Varick was sabotaging it because why would he? There wasn't really a reason to believe Varick would try and blow himself up before he, you know, tried to blow himself up and that's really the only kind of sabotage they needed to worry about while on a train. That, or the sabotage was something Varick could have done the day it went off.
I was talking about Zhu Li's sabotage, not Varrick's.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
to everyone that thought the giant EVA unit was a little out of place.. remember this. they already had smaller humanoid mecha tanks that Varrik helped redesign... given that Kuvira had been planning on taking over the world for a long time now it is really that hard to believe that she could have had a giant, scaled up version of a humanoid mecha tank built?

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
crazygameguy4ever said:
to everyone that thought the giant EVA unit was a little out of place..
Why do people always jump to evangelion whenever there are giant robots in anything?

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
daibakuha said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
to everyone that thought the giant EVA unit was a little out of place..
Why do people always jump to evangelion whenever there are giant robots in anything?
cause the review of the episode already mentioned gundam,lagaan and several other giant robots.. and because Neon Genesis Evangelion was the first anime featuring giant robots I ever saw.. that's the anime i always think of when it comes to giant robots

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
Personally I'm quite shocked this avatar promotes kidnapping, "enhanced interrogation," and indefinite imprisonment over having to commit physical violence anymore.