Legend of Korra: Korra Finds Herself, But They Don't Get Along

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Legend of Korra: Korra Finds Herself, But They Don't Get Along

?Korra Alone? poignantly recounts the Avatar?s journey and recovery in the three years since Book Three.

Read Full Article

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
A thoroughly fantastic episode all round, I'm impressed. Even comparing this episode to The Last Airbender at it's best this episode still stands strong, quite the accomplishment for only the second episode of a new season. Should the shows creators manage to keep up this level of quality throughout the season Legend of Korra really could become something special.

Also worth mentioning is that the visuals and music were also great, which kinda surprised me. I'll admit that after Nick's treatment of season 3 I was half expecting Legend of Korra Season 4 to be a bit of a rushed mess, but if this episode is anything to go by that definitely isn't the case.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Don't be silly, Yoda is not blind. Lots of old gurus live as swamp hermits in the middle of nowhere
Looks like being set up as something like the green fire extinguisher.

captcha: more cowbell

You sure, Christopher Walken?

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
yeeees. THE MELON LORD HAS RETURNED!!! BWWWWAAAAAHAHA!!!

but yea. toph was always my favorite character in TLA. good to see her back.

Auberon said:
Don't be silly, Yoda is not blind. Lots of old gurus live as swamp hermits in the middle of nowhere
toph's old and short
green is a prominant color for her
korra's led there by a spirit
she then fights a halucination of herself

sounds pretty yoda to me.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
One complaint, the cliche of the tiny old lady. In a flash back we see that Toph grew to be about the same size as her daughter Lynn, but in her reappearance she's the same size as she was when she was twelve... I know we shrink when we get old, and females more so than men but people don't shrink that much. Anyway, this is probably my favorite episode of either series ATLA or LOK.

It's been a long time since I've wanted to fast forward a week to see what happens next in anything.

Off topic. Only question I've had for this entire series has been what the hell happened to Sokka, hes seen in one bloody flashback in the first season then nothing. We know Toph's whole family (aside from the sperm donors), Ange's whole family, we've had Zuko make an appearance, we know he had at least one daughter who's the Firelord and we've seen his near identical grandson. Can't we get some of what became of Sokka tossed in a conversation somewhere? Was he ever reunited with his boomerang or space sword?

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Toph isn't actually that small, she's about the same height as Korra, and that's with her having a back hunched with age.

Sokka's dead, this was established in the first episode.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
newwiseman said:
Off topic. Only question I've had for this entire series has been what the hell happened to Sokka, hes seen in one bloody flashback in the first season then nothing. We know Toph's whole family (aside from the sperm donors), Ange's whole family, we've had Zuko make an appearance, we know he had at least one daughter who's the Firelord and we've seen his near identical grandson. Can't we get some of what became of Sokka tossed in a conversation somewhere? Was he ever reunited with his boomerang or space sword?
Hmm. Good point. Haven't heard much except that he was like the head of Republic city's council, or whatever.

Also, it's been a while, but in that flash back, didn't he have a boomerang? It may not have been THE boomerang, but it could have been I guess.

Anyway.

OT: :D Really liked this one. It shows that even after the physical therapy Korra is still pretty traumatised mentally from what happened. This goes well with how mental state has effected benders before. Mind and body have to be in good shape or you can't be at your best. Likely one of the "Balance" themes of this book.

I'm curious about what "Shadow Korra" really is though. I first thought it was just a symptom of a VERY bad case of PTSD, but if a spirit can see it too it may be something more than a nightmare coming out of Korra's head. <.<......Or maybe that's exactly what it is....

At any rate, as Katara said, it should be VERY interesting. :)

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'm still wondering why the puppy/spirit could see the vision. Up to that point it seemed like it was all in Korra's head. But, for the spirit to see it implies that there is something more to it. I don't think it's just because Korra is the avatar.

Also, I smiled so big when Toph called Korra Twinkle Toes. It's amazing how happy one minute of Toph made me.

newwiseman said:
Well, he was the Southern Water Tribe Representative for Republic City and the Council Chairman at one point. He sat on the council that tried Yakone for the crime of Blood Bending. He was the Chief of the Southern Water Tribe sometime after that. He, along with Tenzin, Zuko, and Tonraq, fended off Zaheer and his gang when they originally attempted to kidnap Korra (he was stated to be the Chief at that time, as well). He even has a statue! Holding his boomerang, of course. Beyond that, we know he died at some point.

All in all, Sokka had a very successful life.

Also, notice that Sokka wasn't there when they tried to fend off Zaheer and company and they failed? It would seem that Sokka was the missing piece in that episode. That's my head cannon, anyway.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This is easily one of my favourite episodes ever.

I love how they still manage to show how Korra has grown despite her current weakness. The old Korra wouldn't have immediately regretted her outburst at Kitara, or decided to try and find herself spiritually. I don't think she'd have been able to shoulder the responsibility all alone.

Most of all, they show that healing isn't a fast process, and it's not something that happens jut because you 'try', it can be full of heartbreaking ups and downs were you give it your all and fall down again and you get tired of having to struggle just to stay in the same place but at the same time it can get better, with time

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I just wish they hadn't spoiled that reveal in the fucking trailer. Had they actually been brave enough to surprise me with it, I probably would have done the fist-pump to end all fist-pumps. As it was? Yeah, it's great to see Toph again, and the rest of the episode is one of the best in a long time, perhaps the best Korra episode yet even... but what's the point in ending the episode on a big "surprise!" moment when you spoiled the surprise?!

giles

Feb 1, 2009
I was honestly dreading this episode... but I ended up loving it!

They took the hardship of getting over her condition seriously and didn't just brush it away. Korra handles this very differently from the Korra of the first two seasons, showing how she has grown. I feel like the only reason she briefly complains about not being able to do her job as the Avatar is to make it clear what's bugging her. Completely different from the "whiny teen" vibes we got from her earlier.

Also loved the fight scenes against this "shadow" (?) version of herself, the wavering zombie like motions mixing with lightning fast moving and bending was pretty cool.
Most of all, though, ... TOPH IS BACK FUCK YEAH. Best fucking character of ATLA.

Suhi89

Oct 9, 2013
Great episode.

My favourite bit, other than the end, was the picture of Aang doing his spin trick. Moments like that in a really serious episode are what turns the writing from very good to great for me.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I really want to know what guidance Toph has to offer her.

Also while Katara mention the Air normad genocide, it would of been nice if she made reference at the start of Book 3 Fire (when everyone thought Aang was killed and he felt he had let them down).

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Tanis said:
Is Toph...Yoda?
XD
-Ezio- said:
yeeees. THE MELON LORD HAS RETURNED!!! BWWWWAAAAAHAHA!!!

but yea. toph was always my favorite character in TLA. good to see her back.

toph's old and short
green is a prominant color for her
korra's led there by a spirit
she then fights a halucination of herself

sounds pretty yoda to me.
circularlogic88 said:
The Star Wars comparisons are strong in this one. Specifically, Empire Strikes Back.

But yes! And if the Toph twist was spoiled by the trailer i'm glad i passed up on seeing that trailer. And i have to say i love what season 4 is doing so far, and OH MY the fact that Korra wrote to Asami and not the others is sure to've thrown some fuel on the fanart fire. I imagine it'll be glorious.

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
This second episode of the new season was pretty good I'll admit, its just that nearly every episode since the start of season 3 has had mountains of lazy crap writing. Honestly, I'm kinda bummed this episode had as many actual funny jokes and cool fight scenes as it did. I was just about to stop watching entirely saving myself all that time, but now I'm inclined to give one more episode. Its a damn shame Korra has been as bad as it has, especially considering how close it was to rivaling the last airbender at the height of its second season. The kids show writing has just become more and more prominent since then, leading to stupid characters saying stupid lines and having stupid reactions. If it wasn't for the gorgeously animated fight scenes I couldn't stomach it at all. Even then, there are some fight scenes that just had no effort in the scene blocking put in. I refer specifically to, most recently, that retarded fight Opal and Kai had on their bison that had Opal just staring at Kai as this entire life threatening fight happens because she needs to... steer the bison? The red lotus breaking out of prison was pretty bad too I thought. The big fight has started, firelord zuko is engaged in combat, one red lotus member leaves the fight to burrow down into a huge ice cave, fight some lesser guards, free her friend, then burrow up. In that huge amount of time, the fight on the surface hasn't progressed even a second. Zuko's dragon was just absent the entire time she was underground apparently.

Its that kind of lazy scene crafting that has me so disappointed in Korra, throw on top the uninspired simplistic writing and you're left with a show not worth your time. So that's why its a damn shame this newest episode was pretty good. The action animation is so gorgeous I can put up decent 18 or so minutes in between, its just that I can't even rely on a decent 18 minutes most of the time. Had this episode been as much of a struggle to get through as some of the others I could have just written the entire thing off, which given the past season is likely the safer bet.

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
circularlogic88 said:
The Star Wars comparisons are strong in this one. Specifically, Empire Strikes Back.
well if Toph gets to be Yoda and Korra gets to be Luke
I for one want to see Varrick get his own city and become Lando

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
I already created a post topic about the second episode of the final season on friday, but I'll say again that I really liked this episode a lot better then the first one from this season.. it was much better over all , and actually told us what had happened to Korra during the 3 year gap... kind of strange to see an old version of Toph show up at the end of the episode like Yoda's cousin, but Toph was my favorite character from Avatar: The last Air bender so I'm glad she was in it regardless of the why(I hope she's in a lot of the next episode too)