Legend of Korra: Korra Goes to Dagobah (Kinda)

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Legend of Korra: Korra Goes to Dagobah (Kinda)

"The Coronation" of the Earth King doesn't go as planned while Korra trains in a swamp far, far away.

Read Full Article

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
So far, this season has not disappointed yet. Wu isn't my favorite guy, but so many things are happening and all of it is amazing. Plus, a season combining two of my favorite characters (Toph and Varrick)? Nice stuff. Hoping Varrick goes full-on mad scientist before this is done.

Prediction: Using the roots, they'll somehow bring back Vatu (that was the evil spirits name, right?) either on purpose or accident. This will force Korra to kick her ass in high-gear to save the world again. And the result will reconnect her with her past-avatars. Just a hunch.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
I'm not a huge fan of Korra's problem being physical and not just mental... But at leas it's both.

Otherwise, awesome season so far.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Weird, head-cannon, prediction?

Varrick accidentally brings back Vatu, who merges with Kuvira to create the 'Dark Avatar'.

Thus two types of Avatar, Light & Dark, now exist.

Thus we have a Ying & Yang.

A balance, to the The (avatar) Force.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
I'm not finding Toph that likable anymore, her attitude was funny when she was a child but now she just comes off as a *****.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I'm digging the earth empire subplot more than the avatar subplot, thus far. I'd say it was some game of thrones stuff, but it's more eastern asian in style, so instead I'll say it's some Romance of the Three Kingdoms stuff.

Totally predicting Wu going through some hardcore character development this season... though I'm kinda wondering if the vaguely romantic subtext between he and Mako is being done on purpose. XD

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Did non notice Toph's line about the vines going everywhere? Kuvira's plan is probably something about blowing up Republic City by using the spirit vines. Taking out all the other world leader in one move.

Legend of Korra have an ability to make antagonists that's almost good (characters). If Kuvira had stated her desire was to creat the Earth Republic (and than set up the election system in her favor) than the other world leaders would have nothing on her.

I find Varrick's presence ironic, because he is that other villian that could have been really good, but ain't: So, in season 2 his plan was to profit of the war. Why? The corporate bad guy is so a cliche, and it have no shades of grey. If his plan just was to attack the Northern Water Tribes when the military was away, he would have been a great antagonist for Korra to deal with.

Edit:There is a second possibility for the spirit vines; they may be used for surveillance. Kuvira may go full 1984, only wish she went full Animal Farm first.

SilverUchiha said:
Prediction: Using the roots, they'll somehow bring back Vatu ...
They did that in season 2, it would just be redundant to do it again.

giles

Feb 1, 2009
Well, they tried really hard to paint Kuvira in a bad light in this one. Unfortunately you can't really rush that sort of thing, so characters repeatedly accusing her of being a tyrannical dictator just came off as them throwing a tantrum. We saw that she helps the small communities, works hard to unite a broken nation and the people love her. Yes, she didn't exactly play fair with the governor that one time, but who said his opinion was the right one?
Even if she just wanted so seize power from the start... she's capable, hard working and, again, the people love her. She's still so far ahead of that airheaded political puppet Wu it's not even funny. How on earth are we supposed to buy into her being evil if the alternative is that fucking awful?
Bolin on the other hand is a bit too easy to convince. "Haha all that part about me becoming Emperor Palpatine and crushing my enemies? Just tough rhetoric *wink wink* I'm really nice here have some cholocate" I always thought of Bolin as kind of an infant so maybe this is the time for him to fall on his face and grow out of it.

I like that Toph still was Toph after all this time and she kinda had a reason to live in the swamp. Bit puzzled about the "tiny bits of metal" explanation for Korra's condition, though. There must be more to it, otherwise that vision doesn't really make sense. Hope we get a better reason in the next episode.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Risingblade said:
I'm not finding Toph that likable anymore, her attitude was funny when she was a child but now she just comes off as a *****.
Pretty much this.

As for the book as a whole it just feels so pessimistic it's honestly starting to become a bit of a drag.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I getting a feeling that spirit vine is most likely to be a weapon of mass destruction which Varrick will be uncomfortable with and it will be too late for him to stop or escape it.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Risingblade said:
You mean like an old lady ? For me, she had a Pai Mei vibe combined with how my nana behaves now that she is 85+. Like a spoiled kid.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Scarim Coral said:
I getting a feeling that spirit vine is most likely to be a weapon of mass destruction which Varrick will be uncomfortable left and it will be too late for him to stop or escape it.
That might be a really cool angle actually. Making Varrick go all Oppenheimer after already being such a horrible person through the series would make for some amazing character progression. I place my bets on Varrick having a change of heart in one of the last episodes and helping save either Republic City or Ba Sing Se or something from getting wiped off the map by whatever he invented.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
Risingblade said:
It's kinda hard to satisfy everyone. Hard to show a 12 year old character and then the same one 7'0 years later, if it's too similar it seems she didn't grow up, if she's too different it might look like another totally diferent person.
Well we saw how she acted as an adult in Season 3 flashbacks, I was just expecting her to be more like adult Toph rather than child Toph

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
giles said:
Well, they tried really hard to paint Kuvira in a bad light in this one. Unfortunately you can't really rush that sort of thing, so characters repeatedly accusing her of being a tyrannical dictator just came off as them throwing a tantrum. We saw that she helps the small communities, works hard to unite a broken nation and the people love her. Yes, she didn't exactly play fair with the governor that one time, but who said his opinion was the right one?
I don't know... if I weren't so absolutely certain she was weaponizing the bandits to create a need for her army so she could bend the will of the districts, I'd agree with you that it's a bit more grey... still, the air acolytes just haaaapening to be attacked in the sky when they received food that could have saved the chief from bending the knee? Awful convenient for Kuvira, that.

That said, the Earth Nation can't win, since there's no real good side here. Either a warlord willing to lie and steal to get ahead, or a mindless monarch the other nations are championing so that their own interests can be better served.

Stand by my R3K comparison now more than ever, though. Kuvira be Cao Cao-ing it up.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
giles said:
Even if she just wanted so seize power from the start... she's capable, hard working and, again, the people love her. She's still so far ahead of that airheaded political puppet Wu it's not even funny. How on earth are we supposed to buy into her being evil if the alternative is that fucking awful?
Bolin on the other hand is a bit too easy to convince. "Haha all that part about me becoming Emperor Palpatine and crushing my enemies? Just tough rhetoric *wink wink* I'm really nice here have some cholocate" I always thought of Bolin as kind of an infant so maybe this is the time for him to fall on his face and grow out of it.
I think that is what is going to make Kuvira so difficult to defeat. She's like Amon, but she doesn't need to hide behind a mask. Amon was right, in a way, and Kuvira is too. The difference is that Kuvira has stayed inside the law (up until just now) and many more people love her. Korra can't just go up to her, beat her in a duel, and then it's all over. To beat her, Korra and her friends are going to have to destroy her support and reveal her to the public, the same way Amon lost his mask.

My bet is that we're going to find out that Kuvira was working with some of the bandits, like the ones in the plane in the first episode. "Push the village until they have nowhere to turn but to me, and I'll reward you for it."
That, or whatever she has Varrick up to with that spirit vine.

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Loved Toph, but I'm really sad that Kuvira is being painted so blatantly evil. I mean for gods sake, she pretty much just stated she'll invade Sao Fu in Su's face! Last season, had we met Kuvira, seen her on a softer note, this would be a bit more manageable. If she also didn't sound like a war loving lunatic with her "rethoric" it would make her a lot more compelling and even a fantastic red herring.

But I'm expecting an Amon, shit gets real but nothing actually gets addressed about the fallout. I mean, last time I checked, non benders are still second class citizens, but nobody dares to look at the elephant in that room...

Hell, I'm starting to wonder if the Red Lotus is still even a thing...

Amazing Mavis

Oct 19, 2014
Long time reader, first time poster... yadda-yadda.

I think the mention of "metal fragments" within Korra's body is going to play out as a very crucial plot element in the near future. I mean, we saw what was Korra's reaction when Toph tried to metal bend it away from the body.

So if we focus on all the things that have been established in the series thus far:
1) Kuvira is most likely to become the primary antagonist for our heroine.
2) Kuvira is exceptionally talented metal bender as seen when she took out an entire band of earth bending bandits.
3) Korra has fragments of metal within her body, along with still lingering physical and psychological trauma.

So when Korra and Kuvira butt their heads against each other; I think Kuvira could defeat Korra by simply 'bloodbending' her.