Legend of Korra: Korra Goes to Dagobah (Kinda)

ExDeath730

Mar 13, 2012
I liked this episode, i loved the return of Toph, and one thing i enjoyed most is that they didn't change her fighting style. I always liked how Toph is...How can i say it...Calculating when fighting? She just need that minimal movement to be awesome. I liked her and Korra and it's interesting how she actually tries to help, but that the problem is that Korra is sabotaging herself and needs to deal with her fears and problems, her issues are in her mind and body, but she needs to achieve balance in mind to do the same with her body.

Now about the politics stuff...Kuvira is Napoleon! Really...Zaheer? He is Robespierre :p

Ok...The Revolution last season was the French Revolution, even the Queen is killed, just like the King and Queen of France at that time, and Zaheer was the face of the revolution, a true believer who have the "greater good" mindset. We could see it, how he was able to harm innocents when necessary, but would protect people that had nothing to do with his planos. And now we have Kuvira, a military type that with a combination of strength of arms, aggressive politics and charisma was able to give order to the population after the Revolution ( it's a kid's show, so it's cool that they skipped the mock trials, looting, killings and raping that followed the Revolution), and obviously most embraced. And after that? She goes and just says to every other leader that she is in charge of the Earth Empire, and if they try to oppose her she will kick their asses. That's basically what Napoleon said and tried to do, so yeah...I don't know if the writers were shooting for that analogy, but anyway, it was bullseye.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
ExDeath730 said:
Now about the politics stuff...Kuvira is Napoleon! Really...Zaheer? He is Robespierre :p
[snip]
I don't know if the writers were shooting for that analogy, but anyway, it was bullseye.
Nope, it's not the analogy they were going for. Zaheer was actually more representative of what happened to the Qing Dynasty, with Hou-Ting, the Earth Queen he killed, representing Dowager Empress Cixi. The Qing Dynasty was the last imperial dynasty of China before the 1911 Revolution (the anarchy Zaheer caused), which led to the Republic of China.

China had 2 leaders vying for power, 1 more representative of the people promising full blown communism, but very authoritative a la Kuvira while the other was more in line with what the West wanted for China and hence not beloved a la Prince Wu. The creators have also stated that her troops, who we haven't really seen much of yet, are very representative of the Stormtroopers from Star Wars (Ha, to those who thought this episode would be the only Star Wars homage) and that there will be a touch of World War II Germany in there as well (The latter I'm not so sure about actually as I don't think the creators confirmed a Germany influence. It's just what fans think is influencing some of this).

Here is the concept art the creators pulled up at a comic con when they said there'd be Stormtrooper influence:

ExDeath730

Mar 13, 2012
jamail77 said:
ExDeath730 said:
[snip]
I don't know if the writers were shooting for that analogy, but anyway, it was bullseye.
Nope, it's not the analogy they were going for. Zaheer was actually more representative of what happened to the Qing Dynasty, with Hou-Ting, the Earth Queen he killed, representing Dowager Empress Cixi. The Qing Dynasty was the last imperial dynasty of China before the 1911 Revolution (the anarchy Zaheer caused), which led to the Republic of China.

China had 2 leaders vying for power, 1 more representative of the people promising full blown communism, but very authoritative a la Kuvira while the other was more in line with what the West wanted for China and hence not beloved a la Prince Wu. The creators have also stated that her troops, who we haven't really seen much of yet, are very representative of the Stormtroopers from Star Wars (Ha, to those who thought this episode would be the only Star Wars homage) and that there will be a touch of World War II Germany in there as well (The latter I'm not so sure about actually as I don't think the creators confirmed a Germany influence. It's just what fans think is influencing some of this).

Here is the concept art the creators pulled up at a comic con when they said there'd be Stormtrooper influence:
Interesting, i guess i didn't thought about Cixi because her death wasn't as violent as Louis XVI who was executed by the Revolution, but seeing in a new light, she was more representative of Cixi in character. About the thing about 2 leaders, that was another thing that made me think about this period in French history. There was Napoleon, who was the military type leader who brought order to the country, and there was the other one, who for the foreign powers was the legitimate King, that was Louis XVIII "The Desired".

Anyway, cool thing about Star Wars there, just now i've noticed the Star Wars style that Kuvira used when declaring her Earth Empire, i hope there is a Death Star somewhere in her arsenal. :p

Wolyo

Sep 27, 2013
jamail77 said:
You're right, it is a question and I should have used that term to describe it. I was thinking of it in terms of how people respond to vehement dislike of what they dislike. People get mad at criticism and say, "Leave if you don't like the show" instead of just taking the criticism into consideration. In fact, it scares people off when they get responses like that. These people who didn't like the show at first, but it might have grown on them like all the fans who hated Books 1 and 2, but loved Book 3 and are glad they stuck around. They get scared off by such reactions. So, in a way it's both a question and an argument, in the sense it is an argument to dissuade critical people from being involved in fandom discussion, but, yes, the way you used it was as a question.
I often forget the lack of facial expression and tone on an internet discussion, so a simple, genuine, question can sometimes be misinterpreted.

jamail77 said:
You really focus on the semantics, don't you? What I meant is she's just a better fighter now. I didn't mean stronger literally.
Well I have to admit, it can be usefull to bother or tease people online, but it's mostly because I like precision. Plus I was talking about so I got carried away :D