Legend of Korra: Meelo, Please Stop Talking

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Legend of Korra: Meelo, Please Stop Talking

Mostly filler, "The Calling" sees the airbending kids go an an adventure just like their grandpa Aang.

Read Full Article

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
My only real complaint is that this season seems to be rushing character development so far. I can understand it somewhat, I feel part of the problem exists because of the fact the show was originally only supposed to be one season so things weren't as well planned out as they could have been at the start and with only 9 more episodes, they do need to hurry up with the plot. That said, I really would prefer a slightly slower pace to dealing with the issues to make them seem a little more real instead of the current feel I am getting which is more of a whack-a-mole approach to problems; they pop up, stay for a short time and are smacked down again without much of a chance to have a lasting impact.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
It was a cute episode, generally lighthearted and with a heavy focus on mild comedy... which can only mean that the next few episodes are going to be heavy as Avatar always seems to have a 'comedy' episode right before getting serious. I doubt the whole 'Korra healing' thing has been fully resolved either, not when that shadow Korra played such a big role in Episode 2 and is about due for another appearance. My bet is that Korra confronts Kuvira and ends up losing due to her own still fragile state of mind and is then forced to retreat to Rupublic city with her companions to try and figure out what to do next.

From there though? Absolutely no clue.

I also like how each of Tenzin's kids seem to personify some aspect of their grandfather Aang. We've got the studious spiritual Jinora, the playful and charming Ikki (I think that's how it's spelt?), and Meelo, the annoying 'macho' one. Was fun to see them interacting even if I suspect had it lasted much longer it would have gone from cute to annoying pretty quickly.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Yeah, you have to be careful when you're trying to write a little kid that's trying to act tough, because that can either turn out really annoying or really charming.

Meelo was really annoying.

ryazoph

Aug 5, 2014
Each season of the original avatar was around twenty episodes, making for a total of sixty episodes.

Korra will have a total of fifty three episodes. I wouldn't worry about the occasional filler episode.

Samael Barghest

Mar 5, 2014
I think it was either Doug or Rob that said side characters in Legend of Korra were only good in small bursts. This episode proved that. Also, I feel like the issue surrounding Korra and not being able to go into the Avatar State was handled too weakly. It wasn't a matter of her chakras being blocked. Nor a matter if her subconsciously rejecting the role of the Avatar after nearly dying so many times. It was just poison metal. Poison metal that should've been removed or at least sensed by Toph's daughter, who also could earth and metal bend through vibrations like Toph. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wanted something deeper and more meaningful for this plot. Something that would explain her hallucinations of her in the Avatar State trying to kill her. If Raava had been pissed with Korra for getting that close to death and needed to talk to her or train her, that would've been a good angle to take it. If Vaatu was making his return through Korra and the "black" emotions she held after going through such a traumatic experience, that would've been also a good angle to take. Unlike previous Avatars, Korra's nasty personality would make for a good way for Vaatu to return, especially if she become more forceful and hateful. This would also be a good way for her to grow into a more suitable Avatar.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I'm just glad we didn't have to sit through several episodes of one or more of the kids being captured. That was burning a hole in my brain since the last episode when Tenzin was giving his orders to someone to find Korra and the camera panned around to show his kids.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Toph's speech on each of the villains motives was nonsense. She says Zaheer was all about Freedom, well ok I guess you can argue that anarchy equals freedom... but she says that Amon was about Equality, when the big reveal about Amon was that that was just a front for him to try and get into power, and he didn't care at all about equality, and she says Unaloq was about spirituality, but wanting to wipe out humans and make spirits supreme isn't the same thing as spirituality. It's like they wanted to tie everything from each season together, but they didn't have that plan from the start so they tried to make it up.

Also Meelo really does need to stop talking.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
I got somehow an Azula vibe from Meelo. He is talented in many ways and i remembered the lemur army from season 2. But his personality, so obnoxious.

Amazing Mavis

Oct 19, 2014
Furioso said:
Toph's speech on each of the villains motives was nonsense.
I disagree. Equality, spirituality, and freedom were all fundamental parts of the previous antagonists. Amon's view of equality was shaped through both the actions and past of his own father. Unalaq's spirituality was corrupted by Vaatu's influence. Zaheer's idea of freedom and his belief in absolute anarchy can be drawn from his own imprisonment, and how he thought the Order of the White Lotus had trained and raised the avatar to act as a puppet of the world leaders.

The strive for equality, spirituality, and freedom became too extreme, and all three became blinded to their own faults.

And now we have Kuvira who strives to unite all of the Earth Empire. There are merits to how she first ventured out restore order in a nation that had none. But it seems her actions have taken her too far, the choices she has made push her to strive for order at the expense of everything else. And that gives us our fourth antagonist whose 'noble ideals' have turned counter intuitive.

And if we have a closer look at Kuvira, from the start of the unification she has had enemies to fight against. First there were the bandits who plagued the villages and towns. Now all that opposes her unification is Zaofu, and if she takes it by force, what prevents her from finding a new enemy of unification from the United Republic of Nations? And if she succeeds in returning the borders the Earth Kingdom had before the 100-year-war, who is going to be her next enemy to unite the people behind her? Will she wage war against the remaining nations, or will she turn against the people within her own Empire? And what will happen in the power vacuum left after her eventual death?

The avatar used her fists to defeat her earlier antagonists. But after the current episode; I think Korra has gained the wisdom to understand that Amon, Unalaq, and Zaheer were not just evil punching bags for her to punch down, and that perhaps she could find someway to balance Kuvira's extreme desire for unification. Perhaps even simply present arguments that force Kuvira to step down for power, for the greater good of her Empire.

So yeah.

Oh, and I loved Meelo in the episode.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Furioso said:
Toph's speech on each of the villains motives was nonsense. She says Zaheer was all about Freedom, well ok I guess you can argue that anarchy equals freedom... but she says that Amon was about Equality, when the big reveal about Amon was that that was just a front for him to try and get into power, and he didn't care at all about equality, and she says Unaloq was about spirituality, but wanting to wipe out humans and make spirits supreme isn't the same thing as spirituality. It's like they wanted to tie everything from each season together, but they didn't have that plan from the start so they tried to make it up.

Also Meelo really does need to stop talking.

"when the big reveal about Amon was that that was just a front for him to try and get into power"

When did that happen? the only reveal was that he was a water bender there was no 'I will rule the world when bending is gone element'.

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
When the airbender kids rush to hug Korra, completely ignoring Toph; for a full minute i thought they were going to pull a 6th-sense on us and we find out Toph's actually been a ghost THE ENTIRE TIME!
...but that would've been a bit lame. Glad they decided against it ^^

Amazing Mavis

Oct 19, 2014
Neferius said:
When the airbender kids rush to hug Korra, completely ignoring Toph; for a full minute i thought they were going to pull a 6th-sense on us and we find out Toph's actually been a ghost THE ENTIRE TIME!
...but that would've been a bit lame. Glad they decided against it ^^
That thought did cross on my mind too, and I was actually kind of expecting that to happen ever since Toph reappeared. But yeah, it is better that way. As for how the kids rushed past Toph, it kind of corresponds to how they reacted to their grandmother Katara all the way in the first episodes. (Meelo demanded to know who that strange old lady was.)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah Meelo annoyed the hell out of me since I didn't get his deal wanting to be in charged and to antagonise his sisters. Ikki on the other hand seen reasonable althought I didn't fully believe in her conflict against her older sister (her earn her tatoo due to her learning of the past and her culture before she get that spirit upgrade nor did she acted arrogant after she got the tattoo) until she want to leave the swamp just cos she can't sense Korra spirit.

Amazing Mavis

Oct 19, 2014
Scarim Coral said:
I didn't get his deal wanting to be in charged and to antagonist his sisters.
Do you recall Meelo's uncle, Bumi, who used to be a commander of the Second Division of the United Forces? Who single handedly took out an entire camp full of Unalaq's troops and evil spirits, thus proving all of his other mentioned military feats true?

Meelo did take a quite liking to him, apparently to a point of idolization considering his increased 'militarism' in his general behaviour. For example the use of military ranks when answering the radio, not to mention how he trained all those lemurs.

So given that backround, with the fact that women rarely serve in the military, him wanting to be the leader is not that far-fetched. Not to mention that he is still in the age when girls are kind of icky, especially sisters, although he has always had eye for feminine beauty.

As for the sibling relationships and disagreements, not that uncommon.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Amon really wasn't for equality though. He used it as a front to grab for power over the city, so while his grab for power did generally involve equalizing the populace, he never really cared about it, it just gave him a decent platform to garner followers.

And with Korra, I was really disappointed that her ailment wasn't that she didn't think the world needed an Avatar anymore, but that she just was afraid of getting hurt again. That was such a let down and kind of a stab at her character depth if you ask me. Yes, being afraid of getting hurt is a big thing that affects people, but it's such a common and tip of the iceberg mental block, it's so boring and I can't even say cliche, because I haven't seen too many writers too boring and bland that would use that.

This season seems to already be finding a way of going downhill and we've only hit episode 4, I should not be this bored already. Even the infamous season 2 seemed to have more to it than this(at least at episode 4), and it had the most boring villain in Avatar history that might get dethroned by the bland Kuvira.

Do they just swap writers each season? "Alright guys, first season is done, new guys, come on in. Wait, you're awful. Okay, team three, work your magic. Okay, that was brilliant, but let's not fuck up the pattern, new people, go go go."

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
MiskWisk said:
My only real complaint is that this season seems to be rushing character development so far. I can understand it somewhat, I feel part of the problem exists because of the fact the show was originally only supposed to be one season so things weren't as well planned out as they could have been at the start and with only 9 more episodes, they do need to hurry up with the plot. That said, I really would prefer a slightly slower pace to dealing with the issues to make them seem a little more real instead of the current feel I am getting which is more of a whack-a-mole approach to problems; they pop up, stay for a short time and are smacked down again without much of a chance to have a lasting impact.
I've been saying this from the very beginning. I would say it's not so much they only planned for one season (though that contributes to it slightly). IT's the fact each season is at least 6-8 episodes SHORTER than A:TLA. That's roughly a third of a season less for character development through side-stories, fun filler arcs, and less world building. And I want to assume this is partly Nickelodeon's fault for not given them more episodes to work with. Perhaps they decided for this series to just have less episodes. Regardless, this has been what's held back the series the most and that's really disappointing because outside of that, it's REALLY good.

OT: I enjoyed Meelo's bullshit in this episode. For as little as he's in the show normally, it's nice to see a plot around the kids and how they've grown over the past three years. They really are all different parts of Aang and it's kind of cool to see that in action. Ikki was definitely the star of this episode and it's about time she pulled her weight around here. I kinda hope Toph makes ONE last appearance in the big final fight. I doubt it'll happen, but to see the Blind Bandit wreck house one last time would be amazing. And she's an old lady! Just imagine her in her prime! She would destroy them all! Bwa! Ha! Ha!

EDIT:
klaynexas3 said:
Even the infamous season 2 seemed to have more to it than this(at least at episode 4), and it had the most boring villain in Avatar history that might get dethroned by the bland Kuvira."
Hold up here! Season two, bad? It's probably one of my favorite seasons in the entire series with season three right behind it. Origin story for the Avatar cycle, Bolin screwing around in the movers, Spirit-world shenanigans, and every fucking scene with Varrick being solid gold. To be fair, that season had 2 to 3 villains (depends if you count Vaatu as a separate villain from Unalaq). And while Vaatu was incredibly boring and the final fight was "meh", Unalaq was interesting for most of the early parts of the season and Varrick being the surprise extra villain who is just there to make money and fuck with people was brilliant. And, thus far, I'm liking what season 4 is doing, but haven't seen anything truly mind-blowing yet.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Sorry... In my personal estimation the Korra series is ruined due to a grievously missed opportunity they seemingly oblivious to tripping over the potential built from season 2.

Lets go back to season to in order to understand what was being built.

In the middle of the season you have a two part arch about Whan and how the first Avatar came to be.

When Wan finds his human and spirit friends fighting each other, he joins himself with Raava to pacify them; but this puts him in mortal danger, and can do nothing to stop the spirits from killing his friends. Upon traveling the Southern spirit portal with Raava, Wan battles Vaatu before convincing Raava to possess him.
Fighting Vaatu with the four elements, Harmonic Convergence occurs, causing the two portals to overlap with each other. Using the energy generated by the event, Wan fuses with Raava permanently, thereby becoming the first Avatar.
In the season finale after this huge build up of Unalaq trying to become a "dark avatar" for all intents and purposes he succeeds. We KNOW he succeeds due to the dark avatar state attacking republic city. For that brief period (before the completely illogical and inexplicable "Korra State" turns the tide of that fight)

Korra unlocks her innermost spiritual energy and teleports to Republic City to discover a fragment of Raava within Vaatu, for Vaatu cannot live without Raava. Jinora's spirit illuminates the fragment, and Korra withdraws Raava and purifies Unavaatu, destroying Unalaq.
Now put those two parts together. They fabricate the "origin" of the avatar so we know how the avatar came to be. Then push the story line foreshadowing the birth of a "dark Avatar" in Unalaq" who did in fact merge with Vaatu, much in the same way Wan originally merged with Raava. Unalaqs death in essence meant that a new "dark Avatar" cycle had to have been created, even if the first dark avatar was gimped and ham stringed at the starting gun. Moreover we know that there was a dark avatar and even though Vaatu was "vanquished" we understand that Vaatu can no more be destroyed than Raava can without completely upending the entire cosmos of this "universe"

Now with this potential new Dark Cycle there are ideas that reinforce it. We understand from the lore that light and dark are in opposition to each other and must be balanced. So if the light cycle was moving Earth, Fire, Air, Water, ....ect ect ect. Then the Dark cycle would have to revolve backwards. Given that Unalaq is the first Dark Avatar and his native element was water, then it stands to reason the dark cycle should run Water, Air, Fire, Earth.... Water, etc.

This notion is in fact reinforced and at the same time presents another element that should have been properly exploited. If Unalaq is the first Dark Avatar and his starting element was water, that means the next dark avatar would have to be a native airbender. Granted that was going to be pretty hard to envision an air bender being evil when you know all of the worlds airbenders and at the time it did not appear any more would be emerging soon. Oh wait, thats right... The one who effectively disrupted Unalaqs dark avatar state. Jinora.

Lets watch. (SEASON 2 Ending Spoiler Alert

During the battle, Jinora's spirit manifested in the form of light, and entered his body, pulling out a small, but usable, source of light from which Raava could reform. Korra's spirit subdued the Dark Avatar and ripped the light source out of his chest, recreating Raava. Korra's spirit subsequently performed the spirit purification ritual on Unalaq and Vaatu, vanquishing both of them.[3]

Now when Korra State sees that the tiny shard of Raava is free... Notice, Jinora is her own separated ball of yellow light... INSIDE the dark avatar state. More precisely her spirit has merged with that of Unalaq so as to wrest control of the dark state long enough to provide Korra with that opening to Raava.

Then Korra has to take Jinora's spirt and Raava back to the spirit world to end harmonic convergence. Jinora's spirit departs back to her corporeal form and Raava & Korra merge beginning their own rebooted Avatar cycle.

With Unalaq no where to be found (unless they pull a major resurrection out of their asses for the ending of season 4) So as far as anyone knows thus far for all intents the first Dark Avatar is dead. Now we understand light and darkness are two different things and truthfully light/Dark are different things than Good v Evil. We also saw "how" this Dark avatar was destroyed and that logically points to the transition between Dark Avatars to be different than how the avatar changes hands only upon the death of the former Avatar. In the case of the Dark Avatar, it is logical that the title has to be forcibly taken given the manner in which Jinora effectively consumed Unalaq in order to hold Vaatu in check long enough to free Raava. That means the dark avatar must be taken (or potentially given by, either forcibly or bequeathed) from the former dark avatar.

Now as for what should have happened predicated on this. First and foremost, Jinora would have to be heavily pushed to the forefront of season 3 in order to rapidly build up her character. In that process a major plot thread of the season would be
Jinoras story being plagued by intrusive visions of Unalaq goading her, pushing her moral compass, ect. Jinora trying to figure out why she is being tormented by Unalaq and what she could do to rid herself of his presence. As a misdirection Jinora misinterprets Unalaq as losing his corporeal form and now being left effectively as a spirit. However that assessment is wrong as what she is experiencing is the antithesis of Avatar Callback that Korra lost during season 2, and Unalaq is effectively the only historical dark avatar in that cycle that Jinora is accessible to.

Now from here, that would have left Season 3 as a throw away "exposition-ary" season. That would have been able to leave the whole "Zaheer" story arc mostly the same as it was. Zaheer could have been tied back into the Dark Avatar saga fairly easily, only with a few modifications. Effectively you would need to switch bending between Zaheer and his combustion bending girl friend leaving Zaheer some form of fire bender. The bulk of Season 3 could still have been the anti establishment trope they went with but instead have the climax with Zaheer coming to understand the only way to destroy the "authority" of the avatar was to become the voice of opposition against the current Avatar to undermine it. This presents the potential for the end of Season 3 being Zaheer dispensing with his "we need no rules" Anarchism and submit to the course of assuming the role of Dark Avatar. Which all this would set up a gut wrenching season 3 finale where Zaheer effectively kills Jinora to assume that role. With that tweak to his bending, it puts him as a native fire bender and would be logical in the path of the Dark Avatar Cycle.

So Recap.
Dark Avatar
Dark Avatar Cycle
Cycles run backwards from each other.
Dark avatar must be taken/given instead of randomly reincarnated like the Avatar.
Jinora is the Second Dark Avatar

Making Zaheer the Third dark avatar and not actually squandering Henry Rollins like what was done by season 3.
Season 4 built around Zaheer trying to forever render both Avatars powerless and pursue his "power to the people" goal he had from season 3 but lacked the means to do it without nullifying the avatars attempts to "balance" the world back to that status quo. Honestly to do anything else in my personal estimation is not only ham fisting the story, but its outright ignoring the story that was already being built.

Do not get me wrong I still like the series, but as it is looking like now Season 3 was a throw away and even 4 episodes in and thus far it seems like the avatars big adversary will be ... herself. That is NOT a good ending for a series. Hell that doesnt even make for a good ending for a season. Worse it kinda misses the point of what Avatar IS, The conflict should be with striving to gain that worldly balance, not to center the Avatar. With only 11 episodes left to season 4 they are going to have to pull from the well an antagonist because 13 episodes is NOT going to be anywhere near long enough to flesh out a credible nemesis that would hypothetically need to be the biggest threat of the entire series and KuVira lacks any credible threat (at least at this moment) to become the biggest of the bad, which likely will end this series on a very weak conflict due to having to share space with the conflict of inner turmoil. This doesnt even seem like this is the same intended plan they had when they secured the 4 season deal for the series.

Honestly I really do think that this squandering of its own narrative and talents is actually pretty well known. I mean Nick shunted the series into Burnoff mode under the claim "Oh it always does better online, so why should we bother airing it when we can rerun Spongebob" even though even the releases of episodes and even the fourth seasons are being hastily rolled out as if Nick is trying to dump a critically acclaimed ratings albatross.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
viranimus said:
Honestly I really do think that this squandering of its own narrative and talents is actually pretty well known. I mean Nick shunted the series into Burnoff mode under the claim "Oh it always does better online, so why should we bother airing it when we can rerun Spongebob" even though even the releases of episodes and even the fourth seasons are being hastily rolled out as if Nick is trying to dump a critically acclaimed ratings albatross.
many factors go into how a network treats a show. the (subjective) quality of it isn't one such factor. The legend of Korra started to pick up more viewers from older demographics as it went on, but gradually lost numbers in its key demos.

There are a variety of reasons for this, schedule shuffling not the least thereof, but sadly the ultimate reason Nick decided it was better off re-running spongebob than keeping Korra on the air is because kids 2-14 seem to prefer spongebob to it. :/

Amazing Mavis

Oct 19, 2014
A rock is a rock. But just because something is a rock, it does not predetermine how that rock will be used; it could be a piece that decorates the garden, a cornerstone of a national monument, a kid's toy once some glue and googly-eyes have been applied.

So; I am waiting to see how things play out before making my judgement. (Well, I will speculate.)

But... just like the first show, it seems the Legend of Korra works much better when it is binge watched.