Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds Tweaked for 2DS

Feb 22, 2009
It's baffling to me that they were releasing a top-down-perspective game exclusively on the 3DS to begin with. Really now, Nintendo, make some actual 3D games for your allegedly next-gen platforms please?

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I'm really glad to hear that the puzzels will be doable in 2d, seeing as I don't really enjoy the throbbing headaches I get from playing with the 3D on. Really this is the first Zelda game in a long time where announcements leading up to launch are making me more excited instead of less.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Owyn_Merrilin said:
There's plenty escaping it. One's natural tendency when driving a car is going to involve hitting the gas and brakes much harder than necessary, that doesn't mean the technology is flawed. Technology in general has a learning curve, and it's a combination of that and undiagnosed stereo vision problems that people tend to complain about when it comes to stereoscopic 3D.

Edit: Also, the fact that I was surprised people actually do that shows that it's not the natural tendency for everyone. Mine is to ignore the physical screen and focus on the image. It's the brain's ability to do that, to treat the screen as a window, that makes the whole thing work in the first place.
Again, it's a flaw in a technology if it fails to compensate for the natural tendencies of most people. Easily the most common complaint about the 3DS and it's games is that it's 3D only functions properly in a very small window and gives headaches, which means that there are countless people with a tendency to look at the screen instead of the image (besides, as far as one's eyes are concerned there's no mechanical difference between the two, your eyes pick up the same light regardless) and since that's the case, the technology fails to compensate for that tendency. The 3D effect has a rather alarming number of people who can't use it properly, which means it's flawed. To use your car analogy, if a car's controls were unnecessarily designed to be so complicated that it requires a degree on the level of an airline pilot in order to be use the car, people would be blaming the car manufacturers instead of the car itself, and the same thing applies here. People are blaming Nintendo for it's terrible 3D function because they know it shouldn't be difficult for them to use it.

The 3DS, as a product created for the maximum possible use of people across the planet, is a system designed to work with little to no effort or "learning curve" for any random person that picks it up. If any part of it or any other system designed for such can't work properly for a very large majority of people, then the technology is flawed.

In fact, the entire reason the 2DS and the 3D off switch on the 3DS exists is because Nintendo is aware that their 3D technology doesn't work very well.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
There's plenty escaping it. One's natural tendency when driving a car is going to involve hitting the gas and brakes much harder than necessary, that doesn't mean the technology is flawed. Technology in general has a learning curve, and it's a combination of that and undiagnosed stereo vision problems that people tend to complain about when it comes to stereoscopic 3D.

Edit: Also, the fact that I was surprised people actually do that shows that it's not the natural tendency for everyone. Mine is to ignore the physical screen and focus on the image. It's the brain's ability to do that, to treat the screen as a window, that makes the whole thing work in the first place.
Again, it's a flaw in a technology if it fails to compensate for the natural tendencies of most people. Easily the most common complaint about the 3DS and it's games is that it's 3D only functions properly in a very small window and gives headaches, which means that there are countless people with a tendency to look at the screen instead of the image (besides, as far as one's eyes are concerned there's no mechanical difference between the two, your eyes pick up the same light regardless) and since that's the case, the technology fails to compensate for that tendency. The 3D effect has a rather alarming number of people who can't use it properly, which means it's flawed. To use your car analogy, if a car's controls were unnecessarily designed to be so complicated that it requires a degree on the level of an airline pilot in order to be use the car, people would be blaming the car manufacturers instead of the car itself, and the same thing applies here. People are blaming Nintendo for it's terrible 3D function because they know it shouldn't be difficult for them to use it.

The 3DS, as a product created for the maximum possible use of people across the planet, is a system designed to work with little to no effort or "learning curve" for any random person that picks it up. If any part of it or any other system designed for such can't work properly for a very large majority of people, then the technology is flawed.

In fact, the entire reason the 2DS and the 3D off switch on the 3DS exists is because Nintendo is aware that their 3D technology doesn't work very well.
Have you ever driven, man? There's a huge disconnect the first time you get behind the wheel of a car. By comparison viewing 3D content is as natural as breathing.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
gonna be honest here, pokemon xy limited the 3d stuff because it actually does slowdown the framerate, so it's good that they took that issue head on so that others didn't have to just wing it further down the road

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Have you ever driven, man? There's a huge disconnect the first time you get behind the wheel of a car. By comparison viewing 3D content is as natural as breathing.
If you must know, enough to get my license, but I avoid driving unless absolutely necessary just because it's far too expensive to be worth it. I take public transportation everywhere whenever I can, I don't even own a car.

That's a false equivalence, getting behind the wheel and picking up and playing a 3DS are completely different. I'd expect viewing 3D content to be as natural as breathing in comparison to driving a car, they aren't even in the same league in terms of difficulty. The difference is the 3DS' 3D is supposed to work well and instantaneously for the vast majority of people from the moment one picks it up, cars by both necessity and function are much more complicated to use. Also, unless I was stupid enough to walk/drive and play my 3DS at the same time, I don't have to worry about hitting things or having things hit me like I would with a car, not to mention I don't have any laws I have to follow just to be able to use my 3DS.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
If you must know, enough to get my license, but I avoid driving unless absolutely necessary just because it's far too expensive to be worth it. I take public transportation everywhere whenever I can, I don't even own a car.

That's a false equivalence, getting behind the wheel and picking up and playing a 3DS are completely different. I'd expect viewing 3D content to be as natural as breathing in comparison to driving a car, they aren't even in the same league in terms of difficulty. The difference is the 3DS' 3D is supposed to work well and instantaneously for the vast majority of people from the moment one picks it up, cars by both necessity and function are much more complicated to use. Also, unless I was stupid enough to walk/drive and play my 3DS at the same time, I don't have to worry about hitting things or having things hit me like I would with a car, not to mention I don't have any laws I have to follow just to be able to use my 3DS.
It /is/ as natural as breathing if you go in with the right mindset. What you said was basically "any technology that doesn't immediately work the way a person[footnote]that person apparently being you, since there's at least two people in this thread now who naturally treat the screen as a window, which is the way to go about it that doesn't result in strained vision and headaches[/footnote] would expect is flawed." I gave a counterexample where most people who have used it would be aware of a spot where it's not totally intuitive. There's tons of stuff that you have to use a certain way for it to work, that's not inherently a flaw. Even something as simple as a bottle opener, or a pen, can be tricky. With a pen it's not even the act of writing, sometimes just figuring out how to make a mark with it can be non-obvious the first time you encounter a new mechanism, even if that mechanism is overall better than the ones you're used to.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Owyn_Merrilin said:
It /is/ as natural as breathing if you go in with the right mindset. What you said was basically "any technology that doesn't immediately work the way a person[footnote]that person apparently being you, since there's at least two people in this thread now who naturally treat the screen as a window, which is the way to go about it that doesn't result in strained vision and headaches[/footnote] would expect is flawed." I gave a counterexample where most people who have used it would be aware of a spot where it's not totally intuitive. There's tons of stuff that you have to use a certain way for it to work, that's not inherently a flaw. Even something as simple as a bottle opener, or a pen, can be tricky. With a pen it's not even the act of writing, sometimes just figuring out how to make a mark with it can be non-obvious the first time you encounter a new mechanism, even if that mechanism is overall better than the ones you're used to.
No, any technology that doesn't work the way it's designed to and for a large percentage of the intended users is flawed.

You don't seem to get the point. The 3DS 3D function is designed and intended to work for the vast majority of people with little to no effort on their part. For your pen analogy, having to learn "to look at the image instead of the screen" when it's unnecessary (which it is) for the 3DS is like a pen that's curved like a check mark and having to learn the incredibly awkward way be able to write with it, it would be so much more effective to simply design both to work how people tend to use it, not the other way around.

Owyn, you and Rainbow might be lucky enough to be able to use the 3DS intuitively. However, I and judging by the fact that the 3D function is the most common complaint about the 3DS a rather large number of people are not. This means the technology is flawed, that's all there is to it.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
immortalfrieza said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
taciturnCandid said:
immortalfrieza said:
MrMixelPixel said:
If this game can actually make me use the 3D feature of my 3DS of my own volition... I'll truly be impressed.
Unless they've figured out a way to allow the 3D to actually be functional and not have such a ridiculously small window of effectiveness and cause headaches without changing the hardware then I doubt it.
Try looking through the screen and not at it. That seems to fix most problems with it. I used to have the problems with limited viewing area and headaches and then I tried that and it works.
People actually try to focus on the screen, instead of the image when viewing 3D content? That explains so much about the backlash, and validates my belief that it's a case of people just not being used to the technology, and not a flaw in the technology itself.
No, it's a flaw in the technology. If one's natural tendency is to look at the screen instead of the image (for the record, I don't know what the difference is supposed to be) and the technology doesn't cater to that tendency, then the technology is flawed.

Captcha:finagle's law

There's no escaping it.

Edit: Also, the fact that I was surprised people actually do that shows that it's not the natural tendency for everyone. Mine is to ignore the physical screen and focus on the image. It's the brain's ability to do that, to treat the screen as a window, that makes the whole thing work in the first place. I mean, when you're looking out a window, is your natural tendency to focus on the glass?
I found using the 3DS's 3D fairly easy, the trick really is to treat the screen as a window, then again, I wear glasses, so I'm used to looking at things from behind a sheet of plastic :p (after all, if I focused on the lenses of my glasses rather than what was behind them, I'd be permanently cross-eyed)

if you're trying to look at the screen, you'll get an effect similar to if you tried to focus on the distance, whilst attempting to see something close to you.

just let your depth perception take control of your eyes and try not to think about it too much :p

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
AdamG3691 said:
I found using the 3DS's 3D fairly easy, the trick really is to treat the screen as a window, then again, I wear glasses, so I'm used to looking at things from behind a sheet of plastic :p (after all, if I focused on the lenses of my glasses rather than what was behind them, I'd be permanently cross-eyed)

if you're trying to look at the screen, you'll get an effect similar to if you tried to focus on the distance, whilst attempting to see something close to you.

just let your depth perception take control of your eyes and try not to think about it too much :p
Let me ask you this, you mind explaining why I've never had issues with any other form of 3D if the 3DS' 3D isn't the problem?

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
I used to be able to see the 3D effect but forsome reason I can't anymore, it would really suck if I have to check a faq not because I can't figure it out but because I Can't see the 3D