Legendary Final Fantasy Concept Artist Puts His Work in Motion

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Legendary Final Fantasy Concept Artist Puts His Work in Motion

Deva Zan will be the animated film directorial debut of Final Fantasy concept artist Yoshitaka Amano.

Reading the manuals for the original Final Fantasy IX [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Sony-PSP/dp/B000NPTOTK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1292957448&sr=8-10]), one might notice the gorgeous, almost abstract character designs of a man named Yoshitaka Amano. Amano has become known for the style of his designs on the Final Fantasy series, and is now working towards his animated directorial debut that brings that same style into motion with Deva Zan.

Deva Zan looks just how you'd expect a moving Amano painting to look. That is to say, fricking sweet. Just in case you've never seen Amano's work before, here are a couple of examples of his work from Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy IX.

Deva Zan will launch simultaneously worldwide in spring 2012.

Source: GameSetWatch [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-12-21/deva-zan-by-final-fantasy-amano-to-open-simultaneously-worldwide]

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
While I'm not much of a fan (that said, the picture has reminded me that you can't go wrong with Vivi, ever), I have a question.

Does the first picture look like Batman to anyone else?

And the third one too, I guess.

Edit: Honestly, the monster looks better than the protagonist there, in my opinion. I like those hats, so I may be biased.

old account

Jul 11, 2009
... YES!
I would have loved to seen a Final Fantasy animation using this artwork. Yoshitaka the best character designs using such an interesting art work. I cannot wait to hear more about this. If able to, I would love to see a full animation as well. Thank you for posting!

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
That looked pretty good, I especially liked the shading wind effect.

Didn't Amano do Vampire Hunter D, or did he just draw concept art for it?

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Towels said:
Didn't Amano do Vampire Hunter D, or did he just draw concept art for it?
He did the character design and he also illustrated the book on which it's based.

He's been involved with animation for about 40 years, mostly doing character design but also a few stints as art director and animation director

but this is his first go at being THE director.

YoctoYotta

Feb 3, 2009
Anyone else find it ironic that Amano-san's beautiful hand-drawn artwork finally being fully realized in motion is only possible with CGI?

'Record Stops.'

Sep 6, 2010
Am I the only dude who is unimpressed here? I hate Yoshitaka Amano's artwork frankly. To me it sucks. Guy's a straight up hack, I'm sorry. Horrible artwork that I feel is ugly and unattractive. In fact, Final Fantasy is WAY better looking when that talentless dope isn't mucking around with the artwork. Seven is better because it doesn't have him, and Nine sucks because the dope is pulled back into it.

That being said, this movie isn't interesting to me, it's not for a guy who dislikes the artist in question.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Awesome! Amano is the man, my fave artist overall for years now. I did more than one project on him when I was going to school for fine arts. Amazing work, should be interesting to see it represented in animation.

Am I the only dude who is unimpressed here? I hate Yoshitaka Amano's artwork basic frankly. To me it sucks. Guy's a straight up hack, I'm sorry. Horrible artwork that I feel is ugly and unattractive. In fact, Final Fantasy is WAY better looking when that talentless dope isn't mucking around with the artwork. Seven is better because it doesn't have him, and Nine sucks because the dope is pulled back into it.

That being said, this movie isn't interesting to me, it's not for a guy who dislikes the artist in question.
His work is deep on more than a few levels. I never said I loved everything he did, but have you seen any of his art books? They are pretty amazing, and most of his stuff doesn't have anything to do with video games. Each to their own though.

Edit: Also, he creates art, he is a painter mostly, working in the realm of Water color and basic oils. Though he does do strait pen work as well. People should not confuse him with a graphic artist, who's purpose is to make things that look good, or "cool". Though he has done work in this area as well.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
That looks just beautiful, except for the fact that Zan looks like he's wearing lipstick.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Am I the only dude who is unimpressed here? I hate Yoshitaka Amano's artwork frankly. To me it sucks. Guy's a straight up hack, I'm sorry. Horrible artwork that I feel is ugly and unattractive. In fact, Final Fantasy is WAY better looking when that talentless dope isn't mucking around with the artwork. Seven is better because it doesn't have him, and Nine sucks because the dope is pulled back into it.

If he were a hack it would have been discovered FORTY YEARS AGO. You don't become a professional illustrator and character designer (especially at an animation studio) when you're not even old enough to drink without some serious talent, period.

Anyway, I am hoping this pays off for Amano. It's not his first work as an animation director, but I wonder how he'll do with CGI. Still, it'll LOOK great at the very least.

'Record Stops.'

Sep 6, 2010
Aiddon said:

If he were a hack it would have been discovered FORTY YEARS AGO. You don't become a professional illustrator and character designer (especially at an animation studio) when you're not even old enough to drink without some serious talent, period.

Anyway, I am hoping this pays off for Amano. It's not his first work as an animation director, but I wonder how he'll do with CGI. Still, it'll LOOK great at the very least.
Okay, okay. I was just voicing my opinion. I didn't realize the guy has an anti hate forcefield around his work. So forgive my unfounded insults of the great Yoshitaka-sama. I will completely change my opinion's regarding what is apparently God's gift to artist's. Jeez..