Legends of Tomorrow Unites DC Television Heroes In New Trailer

Fanghawk

New member
Feb 17, 2011
3,861
0
0
Legends of Tomorrow Unites DC Television Heroes In New Trailer

CW's Legends of Tomorrow continues the story of Arrow and The Flash with a conflict between Rip Hunter and Vandal Savage.[/B]

Marvel Studios has the market cornered when it comes to shared superhero universes on film - but in television, DC is on a much stronger footing. It started with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/arrow>Arrow, a CW television series based on the exploits of the comic book vigilante Green Arrow. Then <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20flash?os=the+flash>The Flash introduced superpowers, time travel, and many more traditional comic book concepts to the world's lore. Now DC is going full-blown team-up with Legends of Tomorrow, centering on a time-travel plot involving Rip Hunter and the immortal Vandal Savage.

Set in the same fictional universe as Arrow and Flash, Legends of Tomorrow introduces Rip Hunter - a time-traveler who knows an apocalyptic future will be initiated by Savage. To prevent the disaster, Hunter travels to modern-day and unites a team newly-rising heroes and villains. Outside of Arrow and Flash (who presumably fill the occasional guest role), these "Legends" include the Atom, Hawkgirl, Captain Cold, Heat Wave, White Canary, and Firestorm.

The trailer introduces the misfit team during their first meeting on a secluded rooftop, only for Hunter (played by Arthur Darvill) to step into view and reveal why everyone must come together. Along the way, we see displays of each character's power, a fight scene in an enemy base... and the foot of a giant robot smashing through the roof. Consider me sold.

Combined, Legends of Tomorrow could make for an incredibly impressive series, and it kicks the doors wide open for countless other DC heroes. Green Lantern is perhaps the most likely example, considering <a href=http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Arrow-What-Chances-Diggle-Becomes-Green-Lantern-71907.html>he's already rumored to appear in Arrow for Season 4 and was the subject of <a href=http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=120524>a recent Ferris Air Easter Egg in The Flash.

Taking a group of characters who aren't as well-known as <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134049-Warner-Bros-Confirms-Justice-League-Movie>the Justice League might be a risky movie, but the CW has done fantastic work with Arrow and The Flash so far. Legends of Tomorrow should be well-worth watching when it launches in the 2015-2016 television season.

Permalink
 

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
3,924
715
118
Country
Philippines
Cool, but did they really, really, need to bring Sara back? It's a bit stupid having a character who has been brought back from the dead twice. And that intro was a bit cringeworthy.

On a sidenote, anyone see that Arrow Season 3 finale? It was crazy. Just glad Felicity doesn't have to be such a badly acted whiny little ***** anymore. Not sure what this trailer means for the Arrow's future though.

And what happened to the suicide squad series? Wasn't that supposed to happen?
 

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
13,768
0
0
Yeesh. That was a bit painful.

Whoever's making this, I really don't think they have the budget or the acting secret sauce to pull off that kind of straight-faced goofishness.
 

ron1n

New member
Jan 28, 2013
401
0
0
Really cringe worthy dialogue, but I find Arrow dialogue in general is just as bad.

Still, least it seems like this show won't take itself as seriously as Arrow and has instead borrowed the same tone as The Flash (which is a better show in every way) and the action looks decent so can't really complain.

Plus more Wentworth Miller as Captain Cold is never a bad thing.

At the very least it's leagues ahead of that horrid Supergirl trailer, ugh.
 

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
4,419
0
0
Oh, so Palmers... accident after the climax of Arrows finale wasnt fatal. Thats good, would have been a waste to kill him off there.

Also have to wonder eactly how the League of Assassins, with old Ra's dead and Malcolm replacing him, is going to fit in from now on. They must have some level of involvement if Sara was ressurected in the Lazarus Pit.

Also, i cant help but note that someone working for DC actually does know how to emulate the MCU. Its a wonder why they havent taken those folks and put them in charge of the movies instead.

Zhukov said:
Yeesh. That was a bit painful.

Whoever's making this, I really don't think they have the budget or the acting secret sauce to pull off that kind of straight-faced goofishness.
Well i always thought that cheese was an inherent part of a superhero series, and that the good ones dont let cheese ruin the plot.

And even in this case, ill take the goof over the insistently dark and gritty DC movies.

Speaking of which, DC/WB still seem more comitted to pushing the DCCU, for all the disaster thats going to be if that Supergirl trailer was any accurate indication.
 

P-89 Scorpion

New member
Sep 25, 2014
466
0
0
Zhukov said:
Yeesh. That was a bit painful.

Whoever's making this, I really don't think they have the budget or the acting secret sauce to pull off that kind of straight-faced goofishness.
So you don't like the Flash then?
 

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
18,157
1
3
Country
UK
Zhukov said:
Yeesh. That was a bit painful.

Whoever's making this, I really don't think they have the budget or the acting secret sauce to pull off that kind of straight-faced goofishness.
Yeah I lost it when the enemies were actually using laser guns and it actually make a "pew pew" sound? What is this??? GI Joe???

Also they bloody made The Atom into an Iron Man wannabe even when they did kept his shrinking power!
 

Politrukk

New member
May 5, 2015
605
0
0
"but in television, DC is on a much stronger footing"

OP must not have seen Daredevil then...

Or the plans for the Defenders show.


Edit:

Masters of Time?

Really?

Dr.Who wants his copyright back.
 

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
4,419
0
0
Politrukk said:
"but in television, DC is on a much stronger footing"

OP must not have seen Daredevil then...
I thought Daredevil was released on Netflix, and was not actually broadcast?

Also theyre definitely on a stronger footing compared to thier movies.
 

P-89 Scorpion

New member
Sep 25, 2014
466
0
0
Bob_McMillan said:
Cool, but did they really, really, need to bring Sara back? It's a bit stupid having a character who has been brought back from the dead twice. And that intro was a bit cringeworthy.

On a sidenote, anyone see that Arrow Season 3 finale? It was crazy. Just glad Felicity doesn't have to be such a badly acted whiny little ***** anymore. Not sure what this trailer means for the Arrow's future though.

And what happened to the suicide squad series? Wasn't that supposed to happen?

Sara never died the first time she was presumed dead just like Oliver was.

Never heard of a Suicide Squad tv show just the film.

I'm hoping season 4 of Arrow's second half will be 'Green Arrow and Green Lantern' based on the 1970's Green Lantern and Green Arrow book were they travelled the USA fighting bad guys with the TV show using the hunting down of Damien Darhk and H.I.V.E the ones responsible for Diggle's brothers death as the season plot.
 

Politrukk

New member
May 5, 2015
605
0
0
gigastar said:
Politrukk said:
"but in television, DC is on a much stronger footing"

OP must not have seen Daredevil then...
I thought Daredevil was released on Netflix, and was not actually broadcast?

Also theyre definitely on a stronger footing compared to thier movies.
Well.... Netflix isn't really its own medium though, at least I've not seen specified netflixboxes with netflixscreens

So i'm counting that as television.
 

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
1,900
0
0
Honestly not sure what to think. I have been enjoying the Flash but I was never the biggest fan of Arrow and the writers basicly ripping off Batman for most of this season has not helped. It was cool to see Atom finaly shrink but he still feels like a poor mans Tony Stark.

I will wait and see but I am already having trouble with the premise. A guy goes back in time to recrute a group of Superheroes to help him save the future and he recrutes the B team?

But that is a small issue and I doubt it will bother most people. As long as people enjoy it where is the harm.
 

Fanghawk

New member
Feb 17, 2011
3,861
0
0
Politrukk said:
"but in television, DC is on a much stronger footing"

OP must not have seen Daredevil then...

Or the plans for the Defenders show.
"A much stronger footing" isn't the same as saying DC is the undisputed winner. It means DC is doing better with TV than movies right now.

That said, Daredevil is the only Netflix show out so far - Defenders doesn't even have a release date.

Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter are picking up the slack for Marvel but they aren't technically superhero shows.
 

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
1,900
0
0
P-89 Scorpion said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Cool, but did they really, really, need to bring Sara back? It's a bit stupid having a character who has been brought back from the dead twice. And that intro was a bit cringeworthy.

On a sidenote, anyone see that Arrow Season 3 finale? It was crazy. Just glad Felicity doesn't have to be such a badly acted whiny little ***** anymore. Not sure what this trailer means for the Arrow's future though.

And what happened to the suicide squad series? Wasn't that supposed to happen?

Sara never died the first time she was presumed dead just like Oliver was.

Never heard of a Suicide Squad tv show just the film.

I'm hoping season 4 of Arrow's second half will be 'Green Arrow and Green Lantern' based on the 1970's Green Lantern and Green Arrow book were they travelled the USA fighting bad guys with the TV show using the hunting down of Damien Darhk and H.I.V.E the ones responsible for Diggle's brothers death as the season plot.
I love Green Lantern but there is no way the show would get the budget to do it properly. Green Lanterns can simply do too many things. Plus it would kind of make Arrow a bit useless. One has a Bow and Arrow and the other has the most powerfull weapon in the universe. I know who my money would be on.
 

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
13,768
0
0
P-89 Scorpion said:
Zhukov said:
Yeesh. That was a bit painful.

Whoever's making this, I really don't think they have the budget or the acting secret sauce to pull off that kind of straight-faced goofishness.
So you don't like the Flash then?
Haven't seen it.

I'm only vaguely aware that DC having been doing things with televisions. That trailer was my first actual taste.

It hasn't exactly instilled me with a raging desire to chase down their offerings.
 

jab136

New member
Sep 21, 2012
97
0
0
Fanghawk said:
Politrukk said:
"but in television, DC is on a much stronger footing"

OP must not have seen Daredevil then...

Or the plans for the Defenders show.
"A much stronger footing" isn't the same as saying DC is the undisputed winner. It means DC is doing better with TV than movies right now.

That said, Daredevil is the only Netflix show out so far - Defenders doesn't even have a release date.

Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter are picking up the slack for Marvel but they aren't technically superhero shows.
I don't know, Agents of shield is definitely turning into a superhero show
what with skye/daisy/quake, as well as the rest of the inhumans, and the release of the terrigen crystals into the fish oil is gonna bring out a lot more
Daredevil was pretty good as well, although, Arrow and Flash are shows that I really enjoy watching
 

Daelin Dwin

Accidentally Prescient
Feb 3, 2014
13
0
0
Arthur Darvill as a "Master of Time" will never cease to amuse me.

This looks kinda goofy but in a Power Rangers level camp way, which is good.
 

P-89 Scorpion

New member
Sep 25, 2014
466
0
0
Gizmo1990 said:
I love Green Lantern but there is no way the show would get the budget to do it properly. Green Lanterns can simply do too many things. Plus it would kind of make Arrow a bit useless. One has a Bow and Arrow and the other has the most powerfull weapon in the universe. I know who my money would be on.

You mean like how Hawkeye is useless in Avengers with Thor a guy who in the comics can destroy planets on the team?

For how to beat a Green Lantern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOcC1y-9aeU
 

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
3,924
715
118
Country
Philippines
P-89 Scorpion said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Cool, but did they really, really, need to bring Sara back? It's a bit stupid having a character who has been brought back from the dead twice. And that intro was a bit cringeworthy.

On a sidenote, anyone see that Arrow Season 3 finale? It was crazy. Just glad Felicity doesn't have to be such a badly acted whiny little ***** anymore. Not sure what this trailer means for the Arrow's future though.

And what happened to the suicide squad series? Wasn't that supposed to happen?

Sara never died the first time she was presumed dead just like Oliver was.

Never heard of a Suicide Squad tv show just the film.

I'm hoping season 4 of Arrow's second half will be 'Green Arrow and Green Lantern' based on the 1970's Green Lantern and Green Arrow book were they travelled the USA fighting bad guys with the TV show using the hunting down of Damien Darhk and H.I.V.E the ones responsible for Diggle's brothers death as the season plot.
You know what I mean with Sara :p

I dunno, wasnt there a clip released where the Flash and the Suicide Squad met or something?

Your idea os nice though, always liked that relationship, it would be even better if Flash and GL met up and Arrow would get jealous. That episode of Flash where they teased GL's existence was awesome.

P-89 Scorpion said:
Gizmo1990 said:
I love Green Lantern but there is no way the show would get the budget to do it properly. Green Lanterns can simply do too many things. Plus it would kind of make Arrow a bit useless. One has a Bow and Arrow and the other has the most powerfull weapon in the universe. I know who my money would be on.

You mean like how Hawkeye is useless in Avengers with Thor a guy who in the comics can destroy planets on the team?

For how to beat a Green Lantern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOcC1y-9aeU
Its a good thing then that Oliver's alias is pretty much Bruce Wayne now.
 

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Apr 9, 2020
1,612
34
53
New Jersey
Country
United States
Gender
Male
It's amazing how much these shows are embracing the ridiculousness of the comics, meanwhile the people who are making the DC movies seem to be ashamed of the source material they're working with.

While Arrow was a complete mess this season I absolutely loved 'The Flash', so I'll give this a watch.

Also, I find it both hilarious and appropriate that Arthur Darvill is a time cop.

Politrukk said:
Masters of Time?

Really?

Dr.Who wants his copyright back.
Actually from what I've looked up, it seems Rip Hunter and the Time Masters pre-dates Doctor Who by a few years.