Legion: The Gears of War Universe

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
[HEADING=2]'An insight into Gears of War'[/HEADING]

Gears of War. A series loved and hated by many. Those that enjoy it praise its visceral combat and fast paced action, those that hate it criticise its shallow story and over-masculine characters.

The problem, however, is that the series is very rarely looked at for what it is. It is actually much more than a story about some muscular dudes sticking chainsaws into muscular aliens; it is a story about loss, hope and redemption, about survival and what it costs. About love, betrayal and family.

What I am going to try and do is attempt to show the naysayers what they are missing when they look at the Gears of War universe as just another space marine cliché. I warn you now that this will be a long one, and it won't even scratch the surface.

[HEADING=3]The world and the setting[/HEADING]​

Gears of War is set on a planet known as Sera. The details are not extensive but basically humans inhabit it and it's a planet very similar to Earth. The one major difference from the beginning is that the planet has an energy source known as Imulsion buried beneath it's surface. This energy source, much like oil on Earth, is not evenly distributed throughout the planet. Some countries are rich with it, while others struggle to get what they can.

Naturally this results in war. The poorer countries attack the richer ones in the hope that they can get the energy that they need to sustain themselves effectively. These wars (known as the Pendulum Wars) last for 79 years, resulting in every living human having been alive during wartime.

This I think, is an important point. Imagine having lived your entire life when your country is at war, where every able bodied man is expected to be in the army and potentially die for it. Not only that, but the chances are that their fathers and grandfathers shared the same fate. We are not unfamiliar to war as a race, but we have never had every country at war at once. Pretty much every family would have someone close to them die, and resources would constantly be strained. For an entire planet to suffer this for 79 years is a pretty grim concept. Eventually peace reigns, the Coalition of Ordered Governments is formed (The COG) and the planet is united under one banner.

Then E Day begins. 79 years of war, 79 years of sacrificing millions of lives for valuable resources, but when things start working out a new threat emerges from the ground and slaughters around a quarter of the human population in days. Not only that, but no reason is given as to why, women and children are not spared and no prisoners are taken. The enemy is cold, relentless and determined to destroy all human life. Humanity is not prepared for the massacre and is forced to decimate every city on the planet except one (Jacinto) in order to prevent the Locust from using their resources.

This is another important point to be made. Imagine if our world was so threatened that we had to use nuclear warheads on every part of the planet except one small area which would be used to defend the remaining population. Imagine having to make that decision. It is this which shows how loss and survival are focal points of the Gears universe, humanity isn't forced to destroy colonies or fight newly discovered enemies in the far regions of space, their are forced to destroy their own world in order to survive.

The last defence of humanity.

[HEADING=3]The characters and their stories[/HEADING]​

People frequently claim that Gears of War is full of macho, obnoxious bastards who have no depth or characterisation, an insight into them shows that this couldn't be farther from the truth.

Marcus Fenix, the protagonist of the games, is a soldier for the COG army, refusing to join as an officer despite being the right class, as well as being highly intelligent, he chooses to fight as a normal soldier rather than leading from the safety of a base. Marcus fights for his country and becomes a decorated war hero after helping win a decisive battle at a place known as 'Aspho Fields' during the Pendulum Wars. Upon Emergence Day he continues his duties and helps fight back the Locust horde for 10 years. He gains information that his father (A respected COG scientist named Adam Fenix) is in trouble and abandons his post in order to save him, but is too late.

He is then accused of dereliction of duty and would have been sentenced to death, were it not from the defence given by his best friend Dominic Santiago (more on him later). He is instead given 40 years in maximum security and left to rot.

4 years into his sentence humanity is desperate enough to free everyone due to numbers being too low. He is rescued again by Dom and returns to active duty. Upon doing so he is asked to join a squad that's mission is to map the Locusts homes in order to destroy them. Now consider this for a moment: You are a war veteran of over a decade, you are loyal to your country but fail in your duty once in order to save the last member of your family. The military treats you like a criminal and would have you killed but settles for life in prison. After leaving you for dead for 4 years they then ask you to step back up and fight for them again. How pissed off would you be?

I think it is fair to say that the aggressive, angry attitude shown by the character is justified given the circumstances, not only having lost his father but to then suffer the consequences of his actions. This is where his name comes from, and what I meant by redemption. Fenix meaning 'Phoenix' and Pheonix meaning re-birth is used to show how he is starting from the beginning and redeeming himself for his past mistake.

A true friend always has your back.

Then there is Dominic Santiago. Dom joined the military at the age of 16 and took commando training. Having married his childhood sweet heart and having two children he is starting to live the life wanted, along with Marcus he is awarded the 'Embry Star' for his service during the battle of Aspho Fields and is highly respected among the military.

On E-Day however his world is thrown into chaos and despair. His two children are with their grandparents when the Locust attack and are both killed, his wife Maria cannot cope with their losses and refuses to believe her children are dead. Dom has to then cope with the loss of his children and his wife's growing mental instability while fighting for humanities survival on the front-line. Eventually the grief results in Maria leaving the sanctuary of Jacinto to search for them, which leads Dom to search frantically for her whenever he is able to.

10 Years into the war he is forced to defend Marcus at his trial. This costs him any chance of advancing ranks due to him being considered to hold his friendship higher than his duty as a soldier, he is willing to do so despite knowing this.

He is then challenged once again during the time-line of the second Gears of War game when he discovers his wife has been captured by the Locust. Upon finding her wasted away and insane he is forced to kill her himself in order to end her suffering, adding onto not only the grief of his two dead children, but the belief that if he had gotten there sooner he could have saved her. Despite all this he has to remain strong and carry on fighting. This highlights how Gears of War is also about love. To search for a loved one for years, and upon being reunited having to end their life is a tragedy most humans would never have to even consider, let alone do.

The end.

Assuming you are still reading I congratulate you, it is quite a chunk of information but I really could not see what to cut out in order to get my point across, I haven't even gone into details about the 'Stranded' or any of the support characters, but were I to do so I sincerely doubt anyone would be left reading it by the end, as there's a lot of information to go into. Assuming the response is a positive one, I may very well make this a two-part discussion.

The universe the games are set in is extremely dark and far deep, and I am fully aware that all of this is put across extremely poorly in the games. However, I am not trying to convince anyone that the game-play is any less shallow than it appears, I am simply trying to let people realise that the story, the characterisation and the emotion is there, it's just buried beneath the rubble.

Constructive criticism is welcome as always. I must admit I found writing this in an interesting way extremely difficult though.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Nice review. I played both Gears a few times, and I've read the books, which actually don't contain much fighting, and more story than the games.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I don't think i'd call it a review, but I liked it none the less and it's nice to know theirs more backstory to the games I've played than just shoot the locust. I'd consider this more of a Catch-up on the GOW universe for when the third one comes out.

I put that, if their wasn't as horrible a lag problem Gears 2 would likely have been my all time favorite online shooter.

Lycaeus_Wrex

Jan 19, 2009
You neatly summed up the reason why many people assume this is just another meat-headed shoot-em-up; the fact that none of what you've described above is conveyed throughout the game. At all. You get maybe...20mins of backstory and character development (if that) in an 8hr+ game.

Unless the player seeks it out through third-party products, there is simply no depth presented with any of the characters, or even the world they're fighting on! t's a very poor show from the developers; who created it, sold it, and pushed it, as a mindless shooter when it could have been so much more.

L. Wrex

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Lycaeus_Wrex said:
You neatly summed up the reason why many people assume this is just another meat-headed shoot-em-up; the fact that none of what you've described above is conveyed throughout the game. At all. You get maybe...20mins of backstory and character development (if that) in an 8hr+ game.

Unless the player seeks it out through third-party products, there is simply no depth presented with any of the characters, or even the world they're fighting on! t's a very poor show from the developers; who created it, sold it, and pushed it, as a mindless shooter when it could have been so much more.

L. Wrex
It's what's so damn frustrating about it. Why would you make all of this story and depth and not show it in the bloody game? It's mind boggling really.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
As a fan who owns both games, all the books, and made his username based of one of its songs, all I got to say is bravo.

You summed up the back story very well and explained to everyone that Gears actually has a story. Again well done.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Well, i personally knew that Gears of War have a rich backstory - but it's a good thing someone spreads this info farther. Cheers!

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Thank you, this was an excellent read. Speaking as one who enjoyed both the Gears of War games and pursued the story in earnest, I can say that it is a seep story if you take the time to analyze it and still remains a good competent shooter for those who don't care about story

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Lycaeus_Wrex said:

L. Wrex
Actually, there's a heck of a lot more backstory and character development in the second than the first. The second is still no Mass Effect, but it makes the story much more personal and interesting. It's not quite right to say that none of this is in the games. Beyond that, even the first game had many subtle cues and hints as to Dom's wife, Marcus' past, and even Hoffman's military history (which is an awesome story).

I also must object to the term "mindless shooter." I play Gears of War online on a regular basis, and proper strategy is absolutely vital to this game. If played as it should be, it's far from mindless.

OT: Good job! A pretty good summary of the main parts of the Gears universe and the hidden depth there. I'm glad they developed it more: Gears of War 1 basically wasted the fantastic setting on a horribly shallow story and next to no character development: with the sequel, the graphic novels, and the books, they've expanded things a lot more, and you've done a good job summarizing the main points.

I would be all for a second part: after all, Cole is arguably the most stereotypical and shallow of them all, and yet if you look into him (especially if you read Aspho Fields), he's really not. Hearing more about Hoffman, Cole, and Baird would be even more interesting. Great stuff!

Exostaff

Aug 14, 2009
This is a really good, well put together explanation. I played the first one, it was quite good, but it confused me. All I knew was that the aliens were the bad guys and Dom was my friend! I even thought it was set on Earth!
I'm thinking of having another run through of the game now, then getting my hands on the second one. It sounds like it is better.

Lycaeus_Wrex

Jan 19, 2009
Thaius said:
Actually, there's a heck of a lot more backstory and character development in the second than the first. The second is still no Mass Effect, but it makes the story much more personal and interesting. It's not quite right to say that none of this is in the games. Beyond that, even the first game had many subtle cues and hints as to Dom's wife, Marcus' past, and even Hoffman's military history (which is an awesome story).

I also must object to the term "mindless shooter." I play Gears of War online on a regular basis, and proper strategy is absolutely vital to this game. If played as it should be, it's far from mindless.
I did say that there was about 20mins of backstory included which, lets be fair, isn't quite the magnum opus that Epic would want you to believe.

I'd also argue against your second point, that there were many subtle hints regarding Marcus' and Dom's past in the first game. There is a tiny portion of one level dedicated to each. In Marcus' case; where they move through the trial chamber and a few passing remarks are made about his trial and how 'it was a sham' (Act I) and in Dom's; where they find the settlement of the Stranded and the leader mentions that he still hasn't heard any mention of Dom's wife. (Act II) Bar those two I don't recall there ever being a section in the game that directly relates to trying to develop or expand upon any of the main characters. Anya is a great example. Who is she? Why is she there? What's her motivation? None of this is covered in the first game at all. The Stranded are another. What are they? Who are they? Why do they hate the COGs so much? Again, not covered in Gears 1.

Maybe some of what I've discussed above is developed in Gears 2, but seeing as thats a 360 exclusive I can't play it, so am stuck with what little information I've been given/can glean of the internet. I think that this is simply a very poor show on behalf of the developers.

I have to say that I *love* Gears 1, it was one of my favourite games for a while, but 'proper strategy' simply did not exist. You took cover, and then took potshots at exposed enemies who sometimes exercised the brilliant military strategem of 'run straight at you'. Yes, flanking was an option, but this was very limited in where and how you could perform it.

Sorry for the wall of text, I was merely trying to reinforce my earlier points.

L. Wrex

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
I'm with those who are saying that the backstory isn't prominent enough. I own both the games, and have played through both of them multiple games, but there is so much lore that's sacrificed for the gameplay, which is quite sad.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Lycaeus_Wrex said:
Thaius said:

I did say that there was about 20mins of backstory included which, lets be fair, isn't quite the magnum opus that Epic would want you to believe.

I'd also argue against your second point, that there were many subtle hints regarding Marcus' and Dom's past in the first game. There is a tiny portion of one level dedicated to each. In Marcus' case; where they move through the trial chamber and a few passing remarks are made about his trial and how 'it was a sham' (Act I) and in Dom's; where they find the settlement of the Stranded and the leader mentions that he still hasn't heard any mention of Dom's wife. (Act II) Bar those two I don't recall there ever being a section in the game that directly relates to trying to develop or expand upon any of the main characters. Anya is a great example. Who is she? Why is she there? What's her motivation? None of this is covered in the first game at all. The Stranded are another. What are they? Who are they? Why do they hate the COGs so much? Again, not covered in Gears 1.

Maybe some of what I've discussed above is developed in Gears 2, but seeing as thats a 360 exclusive I can't play it, so am stuck with what little information I've been given/can glean of the internet. I think that this is simply a very poor show on behalf of the developers.

I have to say that I *love* Gears 1, it was one of my favourite games for a while, but 'proper strategy' simply did not exist. You took cover, and then took potshots at exposed enemies who sometimes exercised the brilliant military strategem of 'run straight at you'. Yes, flanking was an option, but this was very limited in where and how you could perform it.

Sorry for the wall of text, I was merely trying to reinforce my earlier points.

L. Wrex
It's true, they weren't exactly assaulting the player with references to untold backstory, but there was enough that, for me at least, it interested me a bit (though I admit to only catching said subtleties during the second playthrough, especially the tensions between Anya and Marcus). Good job, heh: I honestly didn't expect you to be able to name the specific locations in which these references took place. But yeah, I personally do think that the first game dropped the ball when it came to story: it had a great setting and characters with potentially rich backstories, but squandered it all in a story that effectively came down to "kill the bad guys."

But if it helps any, the second game did largely fix this. It's still not exactly Mass Effect, but it goes MUCH deeper into Dom's story, and gives a good deal more development to Marcus and Dom's friend relationship as well. It even gets much closer to Marcus' father. Still though, the best way to really find the depth of the series is in the expanded universe: thankfully, Aspho Fields is a great book. Worth reading if you want the game to actually mean something.

EDIT: Forgot to address the issue of strategy. My bad.

I'm referring more to strategy in the multiplayer. Guardian and Submission especially involve huge amount of strategy, and it truly is a game that is best played with a full team of people you know that have mics and can coordinate. The campaign... not so amazingly much, though a lot more on co-op. But the multiplayer can be extremely strategic, and is at its best when doing so.