LEGO Builders Recreate Sydney Opera House

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
LEGO Builders Recreate Sydney Opera House

LEGO builders Ryan McNaught and Erik Varszegi recently unveiled their detailed recreation of the famous Sydney Opera House.

The more custom LEGO models that I see, the more I begin to believe that the pinnacle of mankind's achievement may lie in our ability to recreate our world with miniature plastic blocks. I mean, sure, we've done other impressive things, and I suppose the feat of constructing real-world buildings is technically more impressive than hobbyists piecing together a LEGO brick replica. That said, in terms of inducing pure childlike glee, nothing quite has the same power as a brilliantly built piece of LEGO art.

Enter Ryan McNaught and Erik Varszegi who recently unveiled their LEGO brick version of the world famous Sydney Opera House. McNaught says this isn't "the most technically difficult" project he's been involved in. That said, he expressed that the Sydney Opera House's iconic design "represent one of the hardest shapes to construct out of LEGO bricks." The project has been in the works for "over 2 years."

[gallery=2029]

According to McNaught, the Opera House's design was split into two distinct sections: the base/interior and the "sails." The split design "allowed LEGO Master Builder Erik Varszegi and I to independently work on the model, with the main obstacle being that Erik lives and works in Enfield, Connecticut, USA and I in Melbourne, Australia." To help coordinate their efforts, the duo created the shell of the model digitally to make sure its "geometry and key features" stayed aligned even as they built their portions in separate locations. Suffice it to say that their efforts have certainly paid off.

Source: Flickr

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
There aren't many things on Earth that I care enough about to want to see in person before I die. One of the few, however, is the Sydney Opera House. The real one, not the LEGO one.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
ZZoMBiE13 said:
There aren't many things on Earth that I care enough about to want to see in person before I die. One of the few, however, is the Sydney Opera House. The real one, not the LEGO one.
As someone who lives and works in Sydney I can say you won't be disapointed. Especially if you walk around the front and look across the whole bay/river, absolutely beautiful sight. P.S. Might I suggest taking a ferry to Manly and back when you visit :)

OT: Amazing work, that would have been hard enough to do as one person but for 2 people to work on it separately and pull it together like that so perfectly, great job and a credit to the real thing as well.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Wow that's amazingly detailed.

All it's missing is the little toasted sandwich maker that sits near the walkway around the back of the opera house.
Next a Lego Pinchgut Island and then the whole harbor!