LEGO Harry Potter, Indiana Jones 2 In Development

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
LEGO Harry Potter, Indiana Jones 2 In Development

Looks like it's the week of accidental leaks: an online resume posted by an animator at LEGO (Movie) developer Traveller's Tales lists two new LEGO titles: Harry Potter, and a second LEGO Indiana Jones - also, potentially The Hobbit.

She might not be as high-profile a name as Charlotte Parker [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90076-Fable-III-Accidentally-Announced], an animator working for UK development studio Traveller's Tales. Parker's curriculum vitae briefly listed her as having done work for two LEGO movie adaptations long rumored to be in development: LEGO Harry Potter and a second LEGO Indiana Jones.

It's no surprise, really - Harry Potter has always been ripe for the LEGO treatment, and with seven books there's always plenty of room for a sequel-minded developer to extend it into multiple games. LEGO Indiana Jones did well, though unfortunately this second game won't be a new adventure for the Nazi-punching archaeologist a la Fate of Atlantis - instead, we'll be getting a LEGO-ified version of the thoroughly mediocre Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Perhaps more interesting is the fact that Parker's CV also stated that she worked on a demo to pitch to Peter Jackson for a LEGO game based on his upcoming movie adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. Of course, it was only a pitch, so there's absolutely nothing concrete yet. Still, with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman, Harry Potter, and the works of Tolkien under their belt, there aren't that many storied film franchises left to give the LEGO treatment. Not kid-friendly ones, anyway - LEGO Godfather probably wouldn't go over too well.

Best of luck to Ms. Parker, because this sort of thing can't be good for anyone looking to keep their job.

(Kotaku [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/lego-harry-potter-crystal-skull-games-next-from-travellers-tales])

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Don't forget about the "secret" LEGO MMO in development. I'm not sure it's the same company, but it's definitely in the works.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Don't forget about the "secret" LEGO MMO in development. I'm not sure it's the same company, but it's definitely in the works.
You mean LEGO Universe? Ain't nothin' secret about it, man.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Shh...we can't let "them" know...I might rent the Harry Potter game, at least.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Now that you mention the name, I do remember hearing about it for quite a while. And feel like a fool for not realizing it sooner. >_>

the captain

Nov 20, 2008
This sounds awesome. I loved Lego Star Wars and Indy, and I can't wait to play LOTR or Harry Potter. I just wonder how they're going to handle doing the spells in HP since Lego people can't talk and it's a real pain in the ass to do button combos or specific Wii-mote movements.

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
the captain said:
This sounds awesome. I loved Lego Star Wars and Indy, and I can't wait to play LOTR or Harry Potter. I just wonder how they're going to handle doing the spells in HP since Lego people can't talk and it's a real pain in the ass to do button combos or specific Wii-mote movements.
I'm going to feel like a nerd for sharing this, but at a later point in the Harry Potter series, the concept of 'non-verbal' spell casting comes up. As far as wand casting goes, the Wii version of OOTP didn't do too badly with this.

the captain

Nov 20, 2008
Chimaera said:
the captain said:
I'm going to feel like a nerd for sharing this, but at a later point in the Harry Potter series, the concept of 'non-verbal' spell casting comes up. As far as wand casting goes, the Wii version of OOTP didn't do too badly with this.
I will 1-up you on nerdsmanship good sir! The basic idea behind no-verbal spells is that "Your adversary has no warning about what kind of magic you are about to perform, which gives you a split-second advantage", however this is very complex magic that isn't taught before the 6th year at Hogwarts. So they really wouldn't be able to have tghe younger characters using them. Also, one of the tenets of the Lego games is that certain people have certain abilities which make them useful in each level. If everyone has the same abilities and spells, then they really wouldn't need for the game to have multiple person parties to accomplish missions.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Chimaera said:
the captain said:
We can abstract him as having the Silent Spell feat, it removes the verbal component required for casting a spell. Now we can figure out a minimum level for him, if his feat hasn't been houseruled. I do wonder, how do Lego hands work for the gestures of spells, maybe the whole thing's 4E and somatic components are out.

(Dear Lord I'm a nerd.)