Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7 Review

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007

You may want to consider dropping out of school.

Read Full Article

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
It seems like it might be a good game. I have always liked the lego games, ever since star wars. So I will probably pick it up.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The console version looks great...well, the Xbox360/ PS3 version but I'm curious to see how the 3DS version turned out. Apparently when it was new Lego Star Wars 3 suffered from a glitch that made it nearly unplayable (or so I heard) so I'm curious to see if this one has any debilitating bugs or just weather or not it would be worth it to grab this for the 3DS.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
That is disappointing. I like the Lego games until they become a peg grind.

I still liked Lego Indiana Jones, but sometimes I get to feeling once you played one Lego game, you have played them all.

Mr C

May 8, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
The console version looks great...well, the Xbox360/ PS3 version but I'm curious to see how the 3DS version turned out. Apparently when it was new Lego Star Wars 3 suffered from a glitch that made it nearly unplayable (or so I heard) so I'm curious to see if this one has any debilitating bugs or just weather or not it would be worth it to grab this for the 3DS.
Lego Star Wars 3 for the 3DS has a glitch on one level which prevents you continuing. It has only happened to me once. I have completed the game to 100% (hope the ghost of Yahtzee is not watching), so can promise that it doesn't render the game unplayable. I believe the level design is different from the console versions and the 3d effect is great.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I have tried atleast a dozen times to get into Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 but I can't. I loved Lego Star Wars, Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Pirates while I disliked Lego Star Wars III and Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4.

In the first game, I disliked having to manually move the Lego pieces. There is no reward in pulling your hair out to build a staircase that in previous games would have been a simple matter.

I played the demo for this game and I had hoped to see some of the upgrades from Lego Pirates in it, most notably, the name of a character (or spell) being displayed while switching. I know the spells are color coded but it could have been a simple matter to label the spells.

This game was recalled on PC because of DRM issues preventing the game from running, looking for Disc 2 when there is none. Why has there be no news about that, the game has been out for a week now.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
I guess I only have myself to blame for not knowing Sirius Black dies. I can't even remember which movie I saw last.

Logie--bear

TARDIS Stalker
Feb 2, 2008
Lego Pirates was brilliant all up until the 4th movie. Is that related to movie game syndrome? :p

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Honestly the only lego game I've played was the original lego star wars and it didn't make me remotely interested in playing any of the other lego games. I just never found the game play compelling enough to be interested in continuing and it was so easy that i got bored and never picked it up again halfway through.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
I do like the Lego games but it feels like they stagnated... they splash on a new skin and that's it... I think they are in need of a new game engine or something in that magnitude.. How ever when you buy a Lego game you know what you get same mechanic as the previous (grind studs/gold/red/etc) witch is nice... But for us "grown-ups" we would like something new a new element...

But I probably end up picking this one up to ;-P since I like both Lego and HP...

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
XDravond said:
I do like the Lego games but it feels like they stagnated... they splash on a new skin and that's it... I think they are in need of a new game engine or something in that magnitude.. How ever when you buy a Lego game you know what you get same mechanic as the previous (grind studs/gold/red/etc) witch is nice... But for us "grown-ups" we would like something new a new element...

But I probably end up picking this one up to ;-P since I like both Lego and HP...
If those new ideas are like the ones in Harry Potter 1-4 or Star Wars III then no thanks. Lego Pirates felt like a throwback and that was nice. It did allow for you to take all characters into free play mode so that's the kind of improvement I like.

Weirdwolf

Jan 26, 2010
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!!
I have the first game and complained about several game killing glitches and got no other response than a stock, "we are looking into it" from the makers, never hearing anything else.
This game is worse, so far it has crashed 6 times at random intervals on my wii and yet again my friends are having the same problem, a quick search on the internet finds lots of other people complaining about the same thing
I don't know what the hell is wrong with the people who make it but it seems that they just don't give a damn about their customers if they own a wii. The Lego games have always had a reputation for being buggy, I can accept a few glitches every game does something a little crazy occasionally,(the Lego POTC game kept crashing until you changed the sound on the wii to mono/stereo) but when you have a game that is unplayable on the platform that it is made for it's about time that the makers of the game did what is right,they should damn well apologize to their customers and offer them a copy of the game that does work or admit to the retailers who sell their games that the damn thing is broken and we should be able to get our money back.
I'm sorry if this seems like a long rant,(well I know it is a long rant) but I know that if people aren't told that the game is broken and the makers don't give a damn about the customers that keep them in business some other poor bugger is going to end up buying a game for their kids that will do nothing but annoy and disappoint them.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I actually laughed at the Sirius scene. I can certainly see why some people might think it awkward, but I didn't.

I played the first game, loving Lego titles, and gave up shortly after completing year one. It's just not fun. And part of it, I think, are the ridiculous costs Susan mentions.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
DO you really think that if I'm looking for my LEGO fix I haven't already exhausted the existing supply? I'M DYING HERE!!

Mattexl

Sep 27, 2007
I really enjoyed the game. Played through all story levels this weekend and loved every minute of it. As opposed to some of the prior games, I only got caught up a few times when weird geometry preventing me from moving forward b/c of items being stuck behind environment pieces. I played the PS3 version and had no technical issues at all.

Yes, it is definitely more of the same, with little change from prior games. But I still really enjoyed it. I love HP, and really like the comical bent Traveller's Tales puts on the stories and scenes. I agree, as a dramatic retelling of the HP story, it is a bit out of sync with the weightiness of the final books. But I still think it was good fun. I really liked their take on the tale of the Deathly Hallows. A very fun way of telling the story!

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Susan Arendt said:

Read Full Article
Do you think that anything more can be done with the Lego "insert movie here" series that hasn't already been done?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Not G. Ivingname said:
Susan Arendt said:

Read Full Article
Do you think that anything more can be done with the Lego "insert movie here" series that hasn't already been done?
Lego Pirates, which I reviewed earlier this year, was a phenomenally fun game, and the new elements of HP 5-7, like the spectrespecs, were also quite fun. So long as the balance of effort/reward is good, and some creativity is applied to the "find X unlockable" formula, there's still plenty of life in the series. It's all about finding appropriate source material - it has to be relatively lighthearted and full of action.