LEGO Heads to Hoth in New, Huge Star Wars Set

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
LEGO Heads to Hoth in New, Huge Star Wars Set

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1277/1277279.jpg
LEGO's newly announced Assault on Hoth set will recreate the Rebel defense of Hoth.

If there's one thing that the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/lego>LEGO Group loves, it's selling <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165829-LEGO-Unveils-Huge-Batcave-Set-to-Celebrate-Adam-West-Series-50th-Anniversary>massive and expensive play sets based on popular intellectual properties. That being the case, it should serve as little surprise that the company has used the 2016 New York Toy Fair to unveil another massive set that should make Star Wars squeal with joy right before they weep over the doom soon to consume their wallets.

Based on the Battle of Hoth from The Empire Strikes Back, LEGO's new Assault on Hoth set will contain 2,144 pieces and cost a whopping 249.99 US dollars. A recreation of the Rebel Alliance's defense of their base on the ice planet Hoth, the set will include modular wall and trench sections, sliding blast doors, a control room, an explode-able shield generator, an ion cannon and weapons installations including heavy blasters, turrets and more. The set will also come with a Rebel Snowspeeder, Imperial Speeder bike, Tauntan, Wampa and 14 mini-figures including Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Wedge Antilles and more. It even comes with a Wampa cave. The set itself will hit store shelves beginning on April 30th.

Speaking as someone who adores these sorts of sets, I'm going to go ahead and say that I'm beyond excited for Assault on Hoth. Mind you, I don't think it's perfect. I think it could use a few more Imperial assets. The absence of any AT-ATs especially makes it feel, to me, like there's something missing. Then again, <a href=http://shop.lego.com/en-US/AT-AT-75054>the most recent LEGO AT-AT set contained more than 1,000 pieces and cost more than 100 dollars all on its own, so it's a concession that's perhaps understandable. Whatever criticisms I might have, Assault on Hoth still looks like a must-have product for Star Wars fans. Now we all just need to figure out how we're going to pay for it.
[gallery=5697]

Source: Brother's Brick

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I... don't like this.

I had about half of this set (its an amalgamation of I think 5 sets with a few new stuff added), and I think the originals were much better.

The new Hoth turret looks weird, nothing at all like the movie, and I hate sets that are so focused with "playability", aka flick or spring missiles.

The dish turret is just ugly looking, again with the "playability". I wish I could shake the hand of whoever created stud shooters, so I could cut it off and slap them in the face with it.

The Wampa cave, while a great set on it's own, makes no sense. It's just an excuse to shove Luke and the Wampa in there.

I like Han's winter get up better in the old set, where he had a blue hood. It was more special.

The new additions, the base, shield generators, and nipple cannon are mixed. The base looks cool, the new "trench" is nice too. But the shield generators and nipple cannon look stupid. Why are they so small? For that matter, why are all the turrets so small? Princess Leia's minifig is cool though, a different hairpiece I think.

I agree with Stew, how is two Snowtroopers an assault? The speeder bike is fun though, I love how the minifigs sit so well on it (I have this set too).

I'm confused, who are they making this for? The kids? Looks like a complicated build for kids, expensive too. For the older fans? Why put lame playability shit and inaccurate details then?

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Lego Snow Speeders! I spent most of my childhood trying to build these from random Legos, what a time to be a kid.