Lego Mario Auctioned For Charity

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Lego Mario Auctioned For Charity

Are you in the mood to do a good deed, have a lot of spare cash, and a burning urge to collect Lego sculptures of videogame characters? Then step this way, because I have just the thing for you.

It's not often that you get a chance to score major nerd points and major light side points too, so if you've been looking to save some force points on Force Heal, this might just be of interest to you. The six foot tall LEGO statue of Mario is made of around 40,000 blocks and weighs around 110lbs, or as much as eight or nine very heavy cats if you need a frame of reference.

Its creator, Dutch Lego artist Dirk VH [http://www.flickr.com/photos/dm_meister/], is selling the piece on Ebay [http://offer.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=110449100365], with any money raised going to charity. The only problem is that starting bid is €2,500, or more than $3,750, which is going to put most people out of the running. But just think, it's only another 72 years before Mario is 100. Think of the resale value then!

Source: The Brothers Brick [http://www.brothers-brick.com/2009/10/23/how-much-would-you-pay-for-a-6-ft-tall-mario/]

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Well, I don't have that kind of money, but if I did, this would definitely spruce up the old living room! I'd change the Game Mania, though. Probably re-title it Jump Man or Itsa Me!

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
nilcypher said:
It's not often that you get a chance to score major nerd points and major light side points too, so if you've been looking to save some force points on Force Heal, this might just be of interest to you. The six foot tall LEGO statue of Mario is made of around 40,000 blocks and weighs around 110lbs, or as much as eight or nine very heavy cats if you need a frame of reference.
This entire paragraph is made of so much win it just caused my head to explode. But then it grew back so I could comment on it.

As for the statue, I'd rather build one myself. I wonder what costs more... the amount of blocks it took to build it, or the statue itself...

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
nilcypher said:
It's not often that you get a chance to score major nerd points and major light side points too, so if you've been looking to save some force points on Force Heal, this might just be of interest to you.
Full of total win in that statement...if I had the money or just the free time and the legos, I sitll couldn't make something that awesome.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Thats awesome, combine this with some mario wallpaper for pure awesomeness.

j_meister

Jul 20, 2008
Why is Luigi so small? Is this lego construct a visual representation of the brothers' egos? Mario being bloated and oversized and poor Luigi being small and underappreciated?
Mario - always stomping on the little guy.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Well, what better way to spend your money than on something you'll probably break trying to get inside.

The answer is nothing, this is awesome.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Man that is awsome. If I had tens of thousands of dollars lying around in spare cash, I would so buy it.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
I'm impresseded by the level of detail of the statue.
It's trully amazing!

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
id tie a small speaker to it so when people touch it id speak into it to scare them, theyd poke it, id scream "HELP! BAD-TOUCH! IM BEING RAPED!!!"

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
It always amazes me how they manage to keep these structures upright. Hey, if you wanted some serious nerd cred, you'd have to buy the building instructions from Dirk and make it yourself. Although that would cost you a lot of Lego blocks... More than ?2500 in Lego blocks, I wonder?

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
That's cool. For some reason, though, all I can think of is, "If I knock it over, will it come apart?"