Lego: Pirates of the Caribbean Review

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I was hoping this game would be good :). Do you know anything about the different versions? Not sure whether to get this on DS or a console.

And reviewing another Lego game Susan? Shame on you for hogging them so :p.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
My brothers really enjoying this, im going to be helping him for the two player bits. You didnt mention the special musical Jack you can unlock! Original PotC song, YOOHOO indeed.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Watched On Stranger Tides last night. It's amazing!

And I will definitely be picking this up once exams finish. Haven't played a lego game in a while, and I'll need something fun at that point.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Vault Citizen said:
I was hoping this game would be good :). Do you know anything about the different versions? Not sure whether to get this on DS or a console.

And reviewing another Lego game Susan? Shame on you for hogging them so :p.
Nobody else actually ever wants to do them, believe it or not. So I luck out. :)

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
Ah Susan, you Child-at-Heart, you.

But really? Pirates is good? After the atrocity that was Lego Star Wars III, I am surprised that the bar has been raised so significantly.

Although I guess it's because Lucasarts didn't touch it with their arm of eternal stagnation (Their last good game was Grim Fandango).

I loved the movies (I'm going to go see On Stranger Tides) so it will be good to see if it lives up to the humour in full.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Boyninja616 said:

But really? Pirates is good? After the atrocity that was Lego Star Wars III, I am surprised that the bar has been raised so significantly.

Although I guess it's because Lucasarts didn't touch it with their arm of eternal stagnation (Their last good game was Grim Fandango).

I loved the movies (I'm going to go see On Stranger Tides) so it will be good to see if it lives up to the humour in full.
No-one was more surprised than me, man. You couldn't force me to play more Lego Clone Wars - you can't stop me from playing more Lego Pirates.

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Yes, finally, the game based on the toy that's based on the movie that's based on the Disney ride that's now based on the movie that has a brand of toys that now has a game based on them.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Boyninja616 said:

No-one was more surprised than me, man. You couldn't force me to play more Lego Clone Wars - you can't stop me from playing more Lego Pirates.
The great thing about Pirates is it's a bit of a throw-back game for the series. Boss battles are back to the usual fare, instead of the overly complicated things in Indy 2 and Clone Wars. Vehicle bits are few and far between (don't know why the series has this obsession with making you run a timed race where half of it is toward the camera... where you can't see the checkpoint until you've missed it). And it looks like they assembled a greatest hits collection of character types. Diggers, jumpers, strong guys, even Dark Jedis (in a slightly different way) are here for mini-kit collecting fun. And the movies have lots of diverse locations, great action sequences, and funny moments to make the Lego treatment shine... although the middle two movies are on the incomprehensible side in Lego mime, but still fun to watch.

Although I do find it odd that the original Lego Indiana Jones gets tossed in with the bad ones. I seem to recall Susan saying it was a buggy mess, but I played it on the PC and PS3 and can't remember anything but the mildest of glitches that all the games seem to share. Worst problem I had was a non-functioning co-op AI for a Red Mail Drop... always seems to be one place where I have to co-op with myself to get a collectible (happened in Harry Potter and Pirates as well). Mostly I found Lego Indy to be lots of fun, right up there with the original Star Wars games.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Played the demo yesterday and I had to pause the game because I couldn't stop laughing at how LEGO jack walks and runs. The developers did a great job bringing him to LEGO from.

I'll definitely try this game out if I ever get the chance. Might even get a Pirates LEGO set as well.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
direw0lf said:
I love lego pirates but I'm curious which lego Indy you didn't like
So am I. I played it on two different platforms and it performed up to standard.
Susan Arendt said:
direw0lf said:
I love lego pirates but I'm curious which lego Indy you didn't like
The first one. It was a broken, unfun mess. Didn't play the second one, though.
Second one has the most amazing hub system. A bit of a pain to find the characters and power-ups you unlocked, but the four different hubs (one for each movie) was the best part of the game.

The levels, on the other hand. They had moved all the collectibles to the hub, so levels had zero replay value. Story mode was extremely straight-forward, often only with about two screens worth of map (criminally short levels) and Free Play was some sort of challenge mode that required you go in the right character types... oh, and you had to find said character types in the huge hub. No handy menus to switch characters.

Worth checking out for the hub (seriously, best hub system in any Lego game) and I enjoyed seeing a different take on the story... but the levels and their Clone War style boss fights were just not up to standard.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Star Wars was pretty damn cool, and this looks good. Might have to pick it up, although most likely not until the price drops (poor student).

I do love the way they adapt the cutscenes.

direw0lf

Mar 31, 2009
Netrigan said:
Second one has the most amazing hub system. A bit of a pain to find the characters and power-ups you unlocked, but the four different hubs (one for each movie) was the best part of the game.

The levels, on the other hand. They had moved all the collectibles to the hub, so levels had zero replay value. Story mode was extremely straight-forward, often only with about two screens worth of map (criminally short levels) and Free Play was some sort of challenge mode that required you go in the right character types... oh, and you had to find said character types in the huge hub. No handy menus to switch characters.

Worth checking out for the hub (seriously, best hub system in any Lego game) and I enjoyed seeing a different take on the story... but the levels and their Clone War style boss fights were just not up to standard.
I loved the Hub system. while I agree the levels were too short and the boss fights kinda lame it is the only lego game I got 100% all because I enjoyed finding everything in the hubs.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Oh, good, might get that one.

Also am I the only one in the world to like Lego Indy? Lego Batman sucks on toast.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I'd been thinking about this game alot (Mostly because Pirates of the Caribbean is my favorite movie series), but this review cinched it. THE GAME WILL BE MINE!

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
That looked really fun, some of the parts of the video even made me laugh.
I'm not a real fan of the Lego games, but I do want to play this one. Looked hilarious.