Lego: Pirates of the Caribbean Review

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
direw0lf said:
I love lego pirates but I'm curious which lego Indy you didn't like
The first one. It was a broken, unfun mess. Didn't play the second one, though.
Definitely! I got stuck in an infinite loop of death at one point. Had to complete re-start to get out of the stupid thing.

Going to get onto the Pirates though. ARRR!!

HydraMoon

From high atop the treehouse
May 3, 2011
Definitely going to order this. The video of Jack walking is what sealed the deal for me. How can I resist a little drunken Lego pirate?

On Lego Indiana Jones (first one) I don't remember it being buggy just very very twitchy. It's partly why I didn't finish the game. If I have to fight the controls it just sucks the fun out of it. I felt like I was controlling jello instead of Lego. Even having Doctor Jones in it couldn't get me to finish it.

maantren

Jan 16, 2008
Great review, thank you, I look forward to playing it. My wife and I love working through the Lego games.

Cheers

Colin

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
I KNEW you were a Dog person!

Hey Susan, did you play co-op or singleplayer? Is it still fun without co-op, which I understand is the emphasis of the whole "Lego what's-it" franchise?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Apart from a comment about how the original Lego Indy wasn't good, good review. Glad to know the new game keeps up the fun and amazingness of the other titles. I'll have to pick this one up, hoping that it's better than the Batman one was.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
As a serious, hardcore gamer, I find myself surprised that I really want to play this game.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Oh so its actually good? Yay! My girlfriend and I love the Lego games ever since I conned her into playin the original Lego Star Wars. After that we tried out Lego Harry Potter...yayness followed. Unfortunately then we decided to try out the other...less than fun ones. Lego Indy was...frustratin and Lego Batman was a good distraction, but mostly meh worthy. When we picked up Lego Star Wars III she actually swore off Lego games because of how absolutely awful that game was.

Maybe I can convince her to give them one last try now with your recommendation Susan. Cheers ^-^

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
direw0lf said:
I'm curious now, what did you think of LEGO Star Wars II, and LEGO Batman? In my eyes, Batman was the best so far, although I've only played Star Wars I and II and Batman...
Anyway, I had no idea this was coming out, but I am now overjoyed that it is, and that it's so great. Now if only I could afford it...

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
brunothepig said:
Susan Arendt said:
direw0lf said:
I'm curious now, what did you think of LEGO Star Wars II, and LEGO Batman? In my eyes, Batman was the best so far, although I've only played Star Wars I and II and Batman...
Anyway, I had no idea this was coming out, but I am now overjoyed that it is, and that it's so great. Now if only I could afford it...
Finally, someone else who enjoyed Lego Batman. The original story might be a bit of a disconnect for some players, but I thought it did a wonderful job. It and Arkham Asylum are the two best Batman games.

mysticx

Oct 29, 2009
KushinLos said:
Funny how I loved the Lego Indiana Jones games, but not the Lego Star Wars games.
Me too, at least i love the first Lego Indy (the second was meh IMO), love it enough to have 2 versions of it, PSP and PS3, never really got into the Lego star wars games though, no idea why...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
GrizzlerBorno said:

Hey Susan, did you play co-op or singleplayer? Is it still fun without co-op, which I understand is the emphasis of the whole "Lego what's-it" franchise?
I have both a dog and a cat and dote on them excessively. It's really quite embarrassing.

I played single player and it's still loads of fun. Better with a friend, of course, but still absolutely fantastic all by yourself. It can be a bit awkward, of course, having to switch between characters, and sometimes the AI is a bit on the stupid side, but the annoyances are brief and minor.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Ive had friends say how much they loved the lego games (Harry potter mostly). This game actually looks preety good and i love lego.. i think i may actually go and buy it =]

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Huh. I've been a closet lego game fan since lego star wars unpredictably ended up being the best star wars game of the obligitory bunch released in the wake of episode 3. After lego indy did bad things with my childhood, and lego star wars 3 instantly rang alarm bells, i had put on my cynic hat for this one, but it seems i was wrong. I might pick it up when the price drops.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
GrizzlerBorno said:

I have both a dog and a cat and dote on them excessively. It's really quite embarrassing.

I played single player and it's still loads of fun. Better with a friend, of course, but still absolutely fantastic all by yourself. It can be a bit awkward, of course, having to switch between characters, and sometimes the AI is a bit on the stupid side, but the annoyances are brief and minor.
Well I have neither, and am utterly devastated to find that the cartoons of my youth, lied to me (in that, a cat and a dog cannot under any circumstance co-exist in the same house without the ensuing of Anvil-dropping, Piano-rolling Chaos)....Sad now. :(

Anyway, thanks a lot for the info. I'll try and give it a shot when I can.

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
You know, now that Traveler's Tales announced that "Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7" is coming later this year, I think a "Lego Lord of the Rings" is just around the corner.

I mean, think about it. The Hobbit movie is coming up, there couldn't be a better time to release it. Just as Lego Pirates was released right before the fourth movie, they could release Lego LotR right before the first part of "The Hobbit". Then release a second game right before the second part, covering "The Hobbit" (the first game would only cover the original LotR trilogy).

I mean, it makes sense to me. The movies have a great amount of action that could be well translated into a Lego game. As long as they don't make it boring, hard and repetitive as "Lego Star Wars III", it should be good.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
I just played through the demo and was smiling the whole time. Since my girlfriend LOVES pirates (we are seeing the new one tomorrow) and her birthday is the 21st (yay apocalypse!) I decided I have to get it for her... unfortunately that means I will have to fork out another 50 bucks after getting her portal 2 and sims 3 though...

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Cool, will probably get the game then (but skip the shitty forth movie).

Oh, but you thought Indiana Jones was a bad lego game? I thought it was even better than lego Star wars! The Batman one and the most recent Star Wars III were, from what I understand, the weakest (unimaginative, and lacking the nostalgic re-imagination of the classic movies).

All they need now is a lego back to the future. Have they started it already?