Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars Review

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
JoJoDeathunter said:
That's a shame, I really did like the first and second lego star wars game, guess they dropped the ball on this one. Considering this is definitely one aimed at the kids, making it too hard and frustating is a massive flaw.
If you like the first two you should definitely like this one. The levels are better designed and there are hundreds of characters on screen during big battles. Watch some footage online. Lego Indiana Jones 2 was bad. Clone Wars was refreshing.

smartengine

Mar 23, 2010
ALL if the of the lego games have been frustrating for me because:
1. Missing the point of the puzzle
2. Missing one blue stud to be a true Jedi
3. Getting whacked over the head by my partner with a lightsaber

Did it make any less fun. Sure did!
Did I rage quit? sure did!
When I look back to playing lego games, do I remember having a great time? Sure do!

Will I be play this one? Sure will!

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
is there still customisation off charaters?
I always loved creating a rondom boba wokie jedi :p

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
xchurchx said:
is there still customisation off charaters?
I always loved creating a rondom boba wokie jedi :p
This one lets you save over a dozen character creations, instead of the usual two.

Brainst0rm said:
Some of your problems might have to do with it being the Xbox version - guy on RPS didn't have nearly as many control problems as you with the PC version, although he did point out the terrible camera.

This isn't a game I would ever get anyway, but it's kind of fascinating to read this thumbs-down review and RPS' thumbs-up one and try to figure out what each reviewer is looking for to really have fun in a game.
There's something off about it. The LEGO series doesn't take a lot of chances with its core gameplay, but they're constantly trying out new variations... and sometimes it doesn't work super well.

The boss fights are both less complicated and more complicated. They tell you exactly what you need to do, but it comes across as more fiddlely. And certain droids have gotten upgrades which mean that unless you're playing as a Jedi or a rocket carrying clone trooper, you're just going to get killed over and over. The nature of the story also gets more repetitive than previous games. Instead of having one big General Grievous fight level, you're chasing the guy through several levels... with lots of mini-boss fights before you *finally* take him down.

I wasn't enjoying myself very much during story mode, but once I got the hang of the confusing hub system and got into Free Play, I started having a whole lot of fun. Most of the annoying boss fights are skipped in Free Play and there's lots of little nooks and crannies to explore... once you get the characters types to do so. The longer you play, the more LEGO it gets... but half-way through the campaign, my reaction to the game was almost exactly like this review. Just too much swapping between characters and doing the same thing over and over. And there are far too many spots where baddies endlessly respawn. In earlier games, this only happened in a handful of areas (and usually because you needed an enemy to proceed). Here, virtually every level does it and it's annoying as hell.

And there's one spot where the in-game tutorial failed me, because there's no obvious path through the episodes. In one of them, they explain how you can pick up a Super Battle Droid and use it to destroy certain obstacles... only I played that episode last, so the first time I had to do it, there was no instructions. I had to go on-line to find the answer.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
like lego
like star wars
don't like the clone war cartoons
give this one a miss then

(now lego POTC, that's the one I'm looking forward too!)

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I played this on my friend's Wii and I cant believe how beautiful the 360 and PS3 versions are while watching this.

And it seems like the Wii version is even harder. We spent 30 minutes in the arena figuring out how to take out Fett. Turns out we have to throw our lightsabers at him. Ok dosen't sound so hard but you have to throw it manually with the Wii's wonky controls.

I was never so pissed like that in months.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Prince Poetic said:
Love it on the 3DS.
Actually, me too.

lumenadducere said:
Brainst0rm said:
Some of your problems might have to do with it being the Xbox version - guy on RPS didn't have nearly as many control problems as you with the PC version, although he did point out the terrible camera.

This isn't a game I would ever get anyway, but it's kind of fascinating to read this thumbs-down review and RPS' thumbs-up one and try to figure out what each reviewer is looking for to really have fun in a game.
I was about to make a similar comment. I wonder what the difference is between them? Although the RPS reviewer definitely seems to be a bigger fan of the Lego games in general.
I adore the Lego games. Hell, I even finished Lego Indiana Jones, despite the fact that it was a buggy mess and had some genuinely lame secondary characters. The Lego Star Wars games are my favorites in the series, so I fully expected to love this, too. You have no idea how disappointed I was to not just not love it, but actually hate it.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
Still going to buy it some day. I have seen reviews saying it is good and bad, but the best thing is the quick look on Giant Bomb [http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-lego-star-wars-iii-the-clone-wars/17-3970/]. Nothing beats seeing how the game actually plays for half an hour. Couple that with two to four wise-cracking dudes who often have trouble doing the simplest thing in-game due to talking at the same time... you usually get to see enough to decide whether you would like the game or not. And from what I have read and seen, it seems like I will love it. But I'll wait a while due to money being what it is.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
I lol so hard at the Lego Star Wars will make your dog cry bit...golden.

So good, I know not to get this one, that is good.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Are you a wizard Susan, both of my dogs started barking when you talked about your dog. o_O

Also: DAMNIT MAKE KOTOR3 AND/OR STAR WARS COMMANDO 2

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
If you think the camera is buggy on single player...man...playin it on multiplayer was like pullin teeth. Maybe there was somethin I was missin, but we could not figure out for the life of me how to actually get the blasted thin to actually work in the RTS missions. Im in a cannon, tryin to take out another cannon. I got my sights lined up, bout to fire and....my girlfriend happens to move two steps, my camera explodes sideways and I'm targettin the ground at my feet.

It was really weird for me because we had just got done playin Lego Harry Potter for the first time not too long before that. The camera was still weird, but we were able to target each others "screens" if we were still close enough to actually hit what we wanted. To suddenly go from that to the Star Wars 3 system of bein only able to target the side of the screen you're on and havin the added annoyance that the side of the screen you're on constantly spinnin like a bloody top was enough to make us just give up in disgust.

Honestly this was the first Lego game that I've played where I actually had more success playin solo than with a partner and given how much more difficult it is to play solo instead of co-op...thats sayin somethin.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
xchurchx said:
Another Pointless game from lucas arts
Please just make battlefront 3 ............PLEASE!
No...because that would actually require Lucasarts to put effort into something.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Infernai said:
xchurchx said:
Another Pointless game from lucas arts
Please just make battlefront 3 ............PLEASE!
No...because that would actually require Lucasarts to put effort into something.
LucasArts should hire back Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert and start making incredible, quirky, hilarious adventure games again. I'm still sort of pissed LucasArts cancelled their later Sam & Max projects. Goddamn it.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
GameInformer claimed that this was the best Lego Star Wars game yet, now I'm really confused.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
This review is based off the XBox 360 version, but even within this thread Susan has mentioned she enjoyed the 3DS version of the game. Will there be a separate review for the 3DS version if the reception is so significantly different?

Chiefwakka

Mar 18, 2009
So the Lego games plays as bad as the third movie is to watch? No, the cutscenes are more enjoyable than the movie :p