LEGO Unveils Epic 3000-Piece Avengers Helicarrier

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
LEGO Unveils Epic 3000-Piece Avengers Helicarrier

LEGO has announced a new helicarrier construction set based on the ship as seen in <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/avengers>The Avengers.

The LEGO Group has its hands in a lot franchise pots, with one of the most notable being Marvel's universe of superheroes. That being the case, the toy company's Marvel line has long suffered from a very specific problem: its complete lack of a helicarrier. It's a void that some have tried to fill. Last year, for instance, a fan-built helicarrier gained enough support <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137427-S-H-I-E-L-D-Helicarrier-Up-For-Review-After-Successful-LEGO-Ideas-Campaign>at LEGO Ideas to become eligible for official review by the company. Sadly for its builder, it now appears <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/lego>that LEGO had other plans in mind.

In an announcement this morning, the company unveiled a brand new construction set based on the helicarrier seen in The Avengers and Captain America: The Winter Solider. Apparently "in the product pipeline" for some time now, the set will cost $349.99 in the United States. Included in the set will be five full-sized mini-figures representing Nick Fury, Black Widow, Captain America, Hawkeye and Maria Hill. Purchasers will also receive 12 scaled down microfigures based on the Marvel characters, as well as three micro-scale Quinjets, three fighter jets, two forklift trucks, four roadblocks and special weapon pieces for Hawkeye, Black Widow and Captain America.

[gallery=3756]
Once completed the helicarrier itself will measure nearly a foot tall, 31-inches long, 17-inches wide and use a whopping 2,996 pieces. LEGO's announcement also made a special point of noting the high level of special detailing and functionality integrated into the build. In addition to looking the part on the outside it will also feature a detailed interior. Builders interested in sprucing it up further will also be able to buy a trio a LEGO Power Functions sets that, when coupled with the helicarrier motorize its rotors and add lighting. The rotors can also be turned manually using a built-in crank constructed with in-box LEGO Technic pieces. Taken altogether, it certainly looks like a doozy of a play set and easily one of the most notable additions (so far) to the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139106-Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-LEGO-Sets-Revealed>company's 2015 catalog. LEGO and Marvel fans interested in getting their hands on the new helicarrier set will be able to do so beginning in March 2015.

voltair27

Apr 9, 2012
Please tell me one of the computer screens on the bridge has Galaga on it.

Also, is that the Hulk's holding cell I see?

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I really like the new minifigures, but I don't have the money or the space for such a large set. Neat though, I've never seen LEGO microfigures before.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
In the words of Luke Cage, "Sweet Christmas!"

And I mean that, that is the only time I ever see a kid getting that is Christmas.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I'm doing to start saving my money for this one in my budget, but I really do wish they had also done the 20k piece one.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
huh looks like they upped the pricetag on those sets. I distinctly remember the big collector sets being ~0.10 USD per piece.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I love it, but it sounds really expensive. I feel terrible knowing that my family gave me so many LEGO sets as a kid, then had to put me through college before I realized just how much money everything costs.

That said, I'm definitely getting some Marvel LEGO sets once I start my job in the summer, especially those Agents so I can have HYDRA battles.

syl3r

Oct 21, 2014
i dont know.... i realy loved the one proposed by a fan, but this one? nah, dont like it.
i realy love lego, but nowadays i want the collector/model versions, not the ones to play with.
the starwars sets are REALY awesome for that, and the proposed helicarrier would have fit right into that.
but this one realy screams just playset, not something awesome you place somewhere to look at.

also, am i the only one that thinks it looks kinda small on the pcitures?

Taranis_tm

Jul 5, 2010
Why do those Power Functions sound like day one DLC? ;-)

Too bad the fan-proposed model didn't get into production.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012

THAT man is playing Galaga. Thought we wouldn't notice, but we did.

I'm not totally impressed with this set. Show me a Triskelion complete with multiple hellicarriers or a full-blown Battle of New York in Lego, then I'll be impressed.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Taranis_tm said:

To be fair, the fan proposed model had an order of magnitude more bricks, and would have cost a stupidly large amount of money, so they downscaled it big time.

syl3r

Oct 21, 2014
Rainboq said:
Taranis_tm said:

To be fair, the fan proposed model had an order of magnitude more bricks, and would have cost a stupidly large amount of money, so they downscaled it big time.
but the person who did that also did a downscaled version, that would have been ok.
i mean, if you want a benchmark on whats possible, look at the super star destroyer.
a helicarrier in that size and i will throw my money at lego (if also is a model, not a playset)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I would sell my kidney for one of those. Seriously, anyone need a kidney? I don't drink, smoke or do drugs. It's in prime condition.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Rainboq said:
Taranis_tm said:

The fan proposed model only just got the votes to start being reviewed a few weeks ago. And it was a digital build so freely violated the laws of physics such as weight and gravity. Lego's had this monster on the drawing board for well over a year.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
I really don't care for it.

And the microfigs are really dumb.