Leonardo DiCaprio Gives 'Red Riding Hood' the 'Twilight' Treatment

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
Iron Criterion said:
Popular doesn't always mean 'good' or 'right'
Popular does mean good.

What makes good music? People liking it.

You don't get to decide what is good or bad because you do or don't like something - it's what the people like. And Twilight has a lot of fans.
The majority of humans are idiots. Thus if anything is popular by mainstream standards. Its pretty much almost every time shit. Almost. Twilight is an abomination and its fans should be dragged after cars until all their skin is gone and theres nothing left but a bloody lump.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
Quote from wiki page on fairy stories:

Association with children

Originally, adults were the audience of a fairy tale just as often as children.[56] Literary fairy tales appeared in works intended for adults, but in the 19th and 20th centuries the fairy tale became associated with children's literature. (the source is Jack Zipes, an eminent children's literature writer - I've read the article, though a long time ago, and this is certainly the gist of what he said).

Whether that is particularly true in regard to Red Riding Hood, I couldn't say, without research, but I'd be interested in your sources.

ravensheart18 said:
Susurrus said:
The really terrible thing about this is that it COULD have gone in an interesting direction.

The original Red Riding Hood was not a story for children. It was a story composed of the following elements, with an undertone of "Don't trust strangers".
Elements:
Bestiality
Incest
Cannibalism.
A "Gothic" film containing these elements, and re-using the earliest versions of the original stories, would be awesome.
The original story was for children. Children's stories used to be scarier. Don't trust strangers isn't just he understone, it was among the key lessons of most verisons of the story.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
Kenko said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Iron Criterion said:
Popular does mean good.

You don't get to decide what is good or bad because you do or don't like something - it's what the people like. And Twilight has a lot of fans.
The majority of humans are idiots. Thus if anything is popular by mainstream standards. Its pretty much almost every time shit. Almost. Twilight is an abomination and its fans should be dragged after cars until all their skin is gone and theres nothing left but a bloody lump.
The majority of humans are of average intelligence, because 'smart' and 'stupid' are decided by what is less than the common intelligence and more than it.

Majority equals the standard.
Standard is not good enough. Especially when it rapes lore and such that is waaaaaaaay waaaaaay better.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
I don't get the hate for Twilight.

It's pretty popular - must be doing something right :\
Sparkly emo vegi vampires, girls seem to like that sh*t, the rest of humanity does not

Tucker154

Jul 20, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
Iron Criterion said:
Popular does mean good.

Then let us hate and well let you love.BTW does that mean you like Lady Gaga.Ya,she creats shit

'Aredor

Jan 24, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
A movie's purpose is to entertain -- it can be other things as well, such as education and protest.

So if you enjoy a movie, it is good to you. It did its job of entertaining.
Now that's just plain not true, different filmmakers have different intentions, a lot of them consider their work as art, they'd certainly be very offended if you told them that to you, they're merely entertainers.

And telling someone that something "is good to them" although they explicitly state that it is not is very... let's say, inconsiderate, for lack of a better word that's not too impolite.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I agree with Monkfish.

I really wish I could find this demographic however. Similar to the teens that put Brittney Spears at the top of the charts, I can never actually find these people. Everyone I talk to dislikes it. Except in Twilight's case, a lot of older women...

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
Iron Criterion said:
Popular does mean good.

Ah, but there are certain criteria that can be measured objectively: Is the acting believable? Is the story coherent? How well is it edited and scored? If, for example, you replaced all music in Twilight with the same song, it would still be quite popular, but you'd certainly agree that, from an artistic stand point, it would make the movie a lot worse.

Besides, if whether something is good or not depends on its popularity, what about pieces of art whose popularity changes over time? There are more than enough examples of books that were received very poorly upon publication but gained a lot of success with passing time. Were they originally not good but got better with time, although they didn't change at all?
No, you're wrong!!
Who Let the Dogs Out is one of the greatest songs of all time. It surpasses almost all classical music. Fuck off Bach, here comes the Baha Men.

Vanilla Ice is probably the top three rap artists of all time.

Both the perm and the bowl cut are two of the sexiest haircuts of all time!

Family Matters is a TV standard. Oh yeah same with Step by Step. Television at its finest.

McDonalds actually makes the best burger in the world. By far!!

Scrunchies are the most elegant way to hold one's hair back.

Pet rocks actually make wonderful pets.

I get sooo turned on by a pair of Crocs, by the way!!

Sep 9, 2010
SomeLameStuff said:
Pirate Kitty said:
I don't get the hate for Twilight.

It's pretty popular - must be doing something right :\
Popular =/= good

Look at Call of Duty. Or the Jonas Brothers. *shudder*
You forgot Bieber *cries*
OT:Ok I resent that a "gothic theme with romantic elements" is immediatly translated to "angst". Seems like your missing a few steps there. And it has Leonardo Decaprio in it so either it will be amazing or it will kill his acting career

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
O Brothers of the Grimm. Please come back from wherever you are and help restore the world order.

Tekkawarrior

Aug 17, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
That is so epic.

Some of them are actually in tears XD
Monkfish Acc. said:
Tekkawarrior said:
Imagine those were fourty year old men going cuckoo batshit bananas over teenage girls.
Pretty fucking creepy, isn't it.

Hello double-standards.
And you know what's worse? They have forum especially dedicated strictly to twilight moms.
I wont post a link but please google it :D
(not being lazy, I'm just not sure how that goes with forum rules)