Lesbian Wedding at Tokyo Disneyland Inspires Manga

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Lesbian Wedding at Tokyo Disneyland Inspires Manga

The manga is entitled "Lesbian-teki Kekkon Seikatsu" (Lesbian Married Life).

Although Japan does not official recognize gay marriage, that didn't stop the Tokyo Disney resort from (unofficially) officiating its first same-sex marriage [http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/05/world/asia/social-media-embrace-same-sex-wedding-at-tokyo-disneyland.html?_r=1&]. The marriage, between Koyuki Higashi and her partner Hiroko, received quite a lot of media attention, and now, manga writer Yuko Masuhara and artist Emiko Sugiyama worked with Higashi to create a manga based on her life.

The manga is entitled "Lesbian-teki Kekkon Seikatsu" (Lesbian Married Life) and follows the fictional exploits of Higashi and her bride. Publisher East Press released the manga on January 17 alongside a separate book, Futari no Mama kara, Kimitachi e, also by Higashi and Masuhara. The novel discusses the couple's desires to have a child.

You can pick the manga [http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%81%B5%E3%81%9F%E3%82%8A%E3%81%AE%E3%83%9E%E3%83%9E%E3%81%8B%E3%82%89%E3%80%81%E3%81%8D%E3%81%BF%E3%81%9F%E3%81%A1%E3%81%B8-%E3%82%88%E3%82%8A%E3%81%BF%E3%81%A1%E3%83%91%E3%83%B3-%E3%82%BB/dp/4781690629/] up on Amazon Japan, though they may not ship to your location.

So there you go, if you ever had the hankering for a manga about lesbian married life, you now have the perfect go-to comic! It might even get an anime adaptation!

Source: Anime News Network [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-02-01/gay-wedding-at-tokyo-disney-resort-inspires-manga]

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Yuri mangas are always fun I must admit. They always seem to be filled with flowers and rainbows and other cute imaginery, it tickles my fancy. Same with shoujo in general.

I might buy this, whenever my pay comes around.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The snarky part of me would like to say that if it got an anime adaptation it'd no doubt include copious amounts of fan service. Then I remembered that in my experience of series that have both an anime and manga version, the manga's are always worse, presumably because they don't need to worry about getting on TV.

Although I am aware that Japan is quite a conservative country, I always find it kind of odd considering their entertainment. Homosexuality, or homosexual connotations, are far more prevalent in anime and manga than in most Western media.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Legion said:
Although I am aware that Japan is quite a conservative country, I always find it kind of odd considering their entertainment. Homosexuality, or homosexual connotations, are far more prevalent in anime and manga than in most Western media.
Thats because they didnt have a religion going around telling them that sex was evil.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
gigastar said:
Thats because they didnt have a religion going around telling them that sex was evil.
And yet only 24% of Japan supports gay marriage...

Japan often confuses me like this. Otherwise, this is cool, but I don't think it'll trump Girlfriends or Octave...

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Seydaman said:
gigastar said:

Japan often confuses me like this. Otherwise, this is cool, but I don't think it'll trump Girlfriends or Octave...
Well...they don't need MORE hindering the birth rate. >.> They're doing that plenty by themselves.

I juvenile goat. I juvenile goat.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
LostGryphon said:
Well...they don't need MORE hindering the birth rate. >.> They're doing that plenty by themselves.

I don't get the joke, gay people don't go out and have sex with the opposite gender because they can't get married.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Seydaman said:
gigastar said:

I'm equally confused that it happened at disneyland. Granted, their policies have hopefully changed quite substantially, but Disney wasn't exactly known for tolerance...

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Seydaman said:
LostGryphon said:

I don't get the joke, gay people don't go out and have sex with the opposite gender because they can't get married.
It's been pretty well documented that at least some do, due to cultural/peer/social pressure to have and raise a family.

It was a joke though. No need to take it seriously.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
CrystalShadow said:
Seydaman said:
gigastar said:

I'm equally confused that it happened at disneyland. Granted, their policies have hopefully changed quite substantially, but Disney wasn't exactly known for tolerance...
Disney is actually pretty cool with gays. Gay Days are held in Disney parks every year for the LGBT communities and their friends and families, and it's a pretty bloody huge.

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
Raggedstar said:
CrystalShadow said:
Seydaman said:
gigastar said:

Disney is actually pretty cool with gays. Gay Days are held in Disney parks every year for the LGBT communities and their friends and families, and it's a pretty bloody huge.
I thought Disneyland didn't recognize gay Disneyland days as an official thing?

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Astalano said:
Raggedstar said:
CrystalShadow said:
Seydaman said:
gigastar said:

I thought Disneyland didn't recognize gay Disneyland days as an official thing?
I'm mostly familiar with Disney World in Florida, so I know Disney World supports the event to some degree (whether or not it's something they have an active part organizing or marketing). Either way, Disney doesn't condemn gays and tolerates gays and gay pride, otherwise they wouldn't allow thousands to gather at the parks for activities to the point where it's a well-known event. I responded to the idea that Disney is tolerant towards gays.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
plus the whole lesbian couple on disney television thing

buuuut

we all know this is mostly business, but at least the tide is turning

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Raggedstar said:
CrystalShadow said:
Seydaman said:
gigastar said:

Well, that shows that as an organisation they've progressed somewhat... XD. - Then again, you'd hope so, considering what they were like in the 50's and 60's...

Still, that WAS a long time ago...