lets collectively lol @ these "I need feminism because..." pics

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
boots said:
Smeatza said:
I believe in
-equal pay for equal work
-a human's right to do with her body what she wants
-a human's worth is not inherently tied to their ability to reproduce and other's desire to copulate with her
-one should employ the best person for the job, regardless of gender or race
-nobody should have to endure any kind of harassment to maintain or progress through their career.
Congratulations, you're a feminist! Welcome to the club. Would you like some cheese and crackers?
That's like saying "well you wear white so your're a member of the Klu Klux Klan."
It's a nice troll tactic but just not true.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
boots said:
Smeatza said:
That's like saying "well you wear white so your're a member of the Klu Klux Klan."
It's a nice troll tactic but just not true.
Reported for the troll accusation, though the mods probably have quite a lot on their hands with this thread.

Read, memorise, and become a better poster. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct] :)
I think you need to read the rules yourself, me pointing out that what you wrote was deliberately inflammatory is not against the rules.
However, low content posts are (like if you were to post just to tell someone you reported them). But don't worry, I wouldn't use such underhanded tactics as to report someone who is saying something I don't like.
I'll give you another chance to explain, why do you think any compassionate person is automatically part of a political group with a very specific set of beliefs?

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
boots said:
Smeatza said:
I'll give you another chance to explain, why do you think any compassionate person is automatically part of a political group with a very specific set of beliefs?
Well for starters you are saying that feminism has a "very specific set of beliefs" so you're falling at the first hurdle.

But at its most basic, feminism is the belief that all genders should have equal treatment. Since you stated that you agree with that you are, by default, feminist. Even if you choose not to use the label.

Really what you're saying when you say, "I'm not a feminist" is that you're not a radical feminist/second wave feminist/a feminist according to Glenn Beck's understanding of feminism.

I never understand people who say, "I'm not a feminist, I'm an egalitarian!" as though the two are mutually exclusive.

Oh, and the statement "feminism means believing women are/should be superior!" is a lie. Not much else to say about it, really. It's a lie.
Unfortunately, due to the negative connotations that come with the radical branch, feminism has been extremely tarnished and I feel it is better to self identify as egalitarian these days to avoid any idea that my position lines up with those radicals. It is sad, but they were louder, more proactive and they captured the imagination of the public, so the moderates have effectively been sidelined in the public view these days.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
boots said:
the clockmaker said:
Unfortunately, due to the negative connotations that come with the radical branch, feminism has been extremely tarnished and I feel it is better to self identify as egalitarian these days to avoid any idea that my position lines up with those radicals. It is sad, but they were louder, more proactive and they captured the imagination of the public, so the moderates have effectively been sidelined in the public view these days.
See, I have no problem with people choosing to identify as egalitarian instead of feminist. It's when people loudly say, "I'm not feminist because I believe in equal rights!" that I get pissed. It's one thing not to associate yourself with a group, but to deliberately vilify them in this way essentially means you're establishing yourself as an anti-feminist, and you'd rather associate with people like this guy. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89cole_Polytechnique_massacre]
lets try and avoid comparing anyone to mass murderers for now.
I also disagree with the notion that feminism has been irredeemably "tarnished" by the rad fems. That's like saying that Christians shouldn't identify as Christians any more because they're aligning themselves with the Westboro Baptist Church, or that everyone who identifies as Muslim is implicitly aligning themselves with al-Qaeda.

Now I'm probably going to get flak for comparing feminism to a religion. OK, let's say it's more like refusing to identify as a Republican in order to avoid any association with Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly.

The solution to feminism being "tarnished" isn't to abandon it entirely and let it become the dominion of the rad fems. The solution is to speak up louder and with greater reason than the obnoxious fringe groups.
Well see I can accomplish every sort of ideological equity (equality is a sticking point for me, equity= we all get the same chances, equality=we all get the same result) under the auspices of egalitarianism, so I really don't feel the personal need to fight a battle over the term 'feminism' when I feel, personally, that I have a better suited one free for my use. That being said however, if someone chooses to self-identify as feminist, I will not hold that against them, recognising that they will, by definition hold many of the same views as myself, so long as they conduct themselves in an inclusive, non-belligerent manner.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
I need feminism, because I need to keep a shitlist of "isms" to destroy when I become a famous intellectual, and nationalism is kinda done.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
the clockmaker said:
itsthesheppy said:
Quoted above: somebody who I don't think quite got it, but spent a great deal of time and energy into not getting it. Comedy or tragedy? Depends on your perspective I suppose.
You really cannot help but fall back on exclusionary thoughts can you? First off, people like me should not be involved because we are A-White and B-Have a penis (notably you brought up the topic of ethnicity out of nowhere). Then you attempt to shoo me off by claiming that 'I just don't get it'.

You cannot articulate what it is I don't get, nor how I have not gotten 'it' but apparently I do not fall into the ranks of the magically informed like you do. Come on sweetheart, its okay, you can tell me, I won't tell the nasty 'other', that your belligerent tactics require in order to not seem dickish.

If you can rebut or otherwise negate anything I said, do so, if not, well you will have shown that the understanding that you hold, your treasured attribute that allows you to 'get it' without being able show what it is, well you will have shown that it is nothing more than a flimsy arrogant façade.
Quoted above, somebody who is dedicated to not getting it. Truly stalwart.

Ultrajoe said:
I need Feminism because of this thread.
Here's a guy who gets it. I think.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
the clockmaker said:
It is sad, but they were louder, more proactive and they captured the imagination of the public, so the moderates have effectively been sidelined in the public view these days.
Well...they "captured the imagination" of a certain segment of the public, yes. One could argue it was a segment of the public just ACHING to have their confirmation biases supported when it came to the terrifying specter of feminism. I've never found the radicals to be terribly convincing, nor have I found that their antics tarnished the definition of a word.

itsthesheppy said:
Quoted above: somebody who I don't think quite got it, but spent a great deal of time and energy into not getting it. Comedy or tragedy? Depends on your perspective I suppose.
Sheppy, stop flame baiting. Seriously. If you don't want to discuss something with someone, find a better way to express it. What you're doing here is one gradient away from "I know you are but what am I?"

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
boots said:
Well for starters you are saying that feminism has a "very specific set of beliefs" so you're falling at the first hurdle.
If I believe in a totally free market (and therefore paying women less because it's more profitable) am I still feminist?
Feminism may seem broad and unspecific to you (as you're a feminist) but in the grand scheme of things, it isn't

boots said:
But at its most basic, feminism is the belief that all genders should have equal treatment. Since you stated that you agree with that you are, by default, feminist. Even if you choose not to use the label.
Wikipedia defines feminism as - Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women.
The dictionary defines feminism as:
1. the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.
2. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) an organized movement for the attainment of such rights for women.
3. feminine character. (obviously irrelevant here)

The emphasis is clearly on females. No they are not man-hating bigots (not all of them) but they are in general just as apathetic to race and men's (mainly men's) issues as any average person. I've found this to be the case in definition and in practice (although admittedly I've only had a few in depth conversations with feminists).

Why should I believe your definition over that of wikipedia and the dictionary? And what reason do I have to believe that your version of feminism is the mainstream one?

boots said:
Really what you're saying when you say, "I'm not a feminist" is that you're not a radical feminist/second wave feminist/a feminist according to Glenn Beck's understanding of feminism.
If somebody is opposed to immigration are they automatically a conservative/republican? If somebody supports free healthcare are they automatically a liberal?
Feminists have adopted certain policies as a standard but that does not make them feminist policies. And therefore agreeing with these policies does not necessarily make one a feminist.

boots said:
I never understand people who say, "I'm not a feminist, I'm an egalitarian!" as though the two are mutually exclusive.
I don't think it's a case of them being mutually exclusive but one not being enough.
What they should be saying is "I'm not just a feminist - I'm an egalitarian"

boots said:
Oh, and the statement "feminism means believing women are/should be superior!" is a lie. Not much else to say about it, really. It's a lie.
Mostly, except for the very extreme cases.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
the clockmaker said:
It is sad, but they were louder, more proactive and they captured the imagination of the public, so the moderates have effectively been sidelined in the public view these days.
Well...they "captured the imagination" of a certain segment of the public, yes. One could argue it was a segment of the public just ACHING to have their confirmation biases supported when it came to the terrifying specter of feminism. I've never found the radicals to be terribly convincing, nor have I found that their antics tarnished the definition of a word.

itsthesheppy said:
Sheppy, stop flame baiting. Seriously. If you don't want to discuss something with someone, find a better way to express it. What you're doing here is one gradient away from "I know you are but what am I?"
Expressing my disgust with these conversations, conducted as they are in the privileged echo chamber of white male gamers, is flame baiting? Fair enough. I'll leave you to it. It's been going 15 pages at this point, I'm sure you guys are very close to solving it once and for all. Because we all know, if you want to solve an issue like sexism and marginalization, you want to talk to the primary benefactors of it. They'll know what's best.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
itsthesheppy said:
Expressing my disgust with these conversations, conducted as they are in the privileged echo chamber of white male gamers, is flame baiting? Fair enough. I'll leave you to it. It's been going 15 pages at this point, I'm sure you guys are very close to solving it once and for all. Because we all know, if you want to solve an issue like sexism and marginalization, you want to talk to the primary benefactors of it. They'll know what's best.
Oh for fucks sake, you are just throwing wild punches now. Stop tilting at windmills. Saying "Lol u don't get it" is flame baiting, yes. If you want to debate someone, debate them. If you consider them beneath your contempt, ignore them. What you're doing now is just going to end with a bunch of infractions.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
itsthesheppy said:
the clockmaker said:
itsthesheppy said:
You really cannot help but fall back on exclusionary thoughts can you? First off, people like me should not be involved because we are A-White and B-Have a penis (notably you brought up the topic of ethnicity out of nowhere). Then you attempt to shoo me off by claiming that 'I just don't get it'.

You cannot articulate what it is I don't get, nor how I have not gotten 'it' but apparently I do not fall into the ranks of the magically informed like you do. Come on sweetheart, its okay, you can tell me, I won't tell the nasty 'other', that your belligerent tactics require in order to not seem dickish.

If you can rebut or otherwise negate anything I said, do so, if not, well you will have shown that the understanding that you hold, your treasured attribute that allows you to 'get it' without being able show what it is, well you will have shown that it is nothing more than a flimsy arrogant façade.
Quoted above, somebody who is dedicated to not getting it. Truly stalwart.

Ultrajoe said:
I need Feminism because of this thread.
Here's a guy who gets it. I think.
You really have nothing of value to say do you? But go on, keep muttering that you understand and I don't, keep telling yourself that this imaginary 'it' exists and that only you understand 'it'.

If you have something to say, say it, if not stop sitting back acting like you are the lone wise individual in a sea of idiots, because from what I have seen, the most exclusionist, discriminatory and arrogant person in this thread is you.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
I most likely have simply had an overly bad trend of experiences with radical feminists. As I said, I will not harp against those who choose to self identify as such, I am just happy sticking under the banner of egalitarianism. I would say a fair amount of people who are 'anti-feminist' feel broadly along the same lines.

Ernil Menegil

Aug 2, 2010
defskyoen said:
Here is another reason why I need feminism, who else would be courageous enough to demand eugenics and the eradication of the male gender for the betterment of the human race? Nobody, that's who.

It's password-protected now unfortunately, so they can discuss the solution to the male problem without any involvement or interjection by the patriarchy: http://cherryblossomlife.com/2013/02/01/are-men-aware-of-their-condition/
Crikey the lunacy is strong in this one.

Do they even realize that men and women are both part of one species, and that the demise of the male is very much the demise of the species as a whole? Including them? Have they discovered the immortal gene or something?

Wrapping my head around this. Cannot compute. BSOD. Hard disk corrupted. MACHINE BLOWN UP.