Let's discuss the Smash Bros. demo!

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
As I write this it's in the middle of the night where your humble Queen Michael lives, and I'm waiting for my favorite café to open so I can go there and use their free wifi to download the Super Smash Bros. 3DS demo. Lots of you have already dowloaded it, though, so let's hear what you think about it, and I'll chime in with my opinion in about twelve hours.

So how do you like the graphics? The controls? Any other opinions you'd like to share or aspects you'd like to comment on?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I really like it.

Graphically it's fucking great. The one map we have access to looks nice but the character models steal the show, they all look amazingly well done. But gameplay is the most important part, obviously, and it's still pretty solid from what I've played of it. Functions like Brawl, but without the tripping which is always nice.

Mario, Link and Pikachu all function fairly similarly to previous incarnations. What is a nice touch (I think it did this, maybe I just missed something) but if you run and attack and an item is on the floor you can pick it up whilst still attacking. Some attacks are changed too, like Link's Up-B when stationary can be charged now, and I think Pikachu's Down-B can as well.

Megaman and Villager are... different. Of all the characters they could have demonstrated I like that they went for two of the ones that function really oddly compared to regular Smash conventions. Still haven't really gotten the hang of them, just wanted a taste before the full game actually comes out so I probably won't play it until release but I'll certainly get it.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
Speaking as someone who has played the shit out of the first game, has maybe a grand total of one hour in Melee and has never played Brawl, there was a bit of nostalgia washing over me. Unfortunately none of the available characters were ones I was particularly interested in (well, maybe Mega Man). The familiarity of Mario, Pikachu and Link was nice though.

It's been so long since I've played Smash Bros though, I feel like I have to relearn the controls. Because the game feels more like a 2D action platformer than a fighter I kept instinctively pressing B to jump.

Graphics are nice, when I first saw screen shots ages ago I thought the black outlines looked horrible but they're actually all right.

Overall I'm very much looking forward to the game coming out.

Queen Michael said:
hazabaza1 said:
Functions like Smash, but without the tripping which is always nice.
What do you mean by "Smash"?
Just the common abbreviation of Smash Bros. Presumably hazahaza is saying it functions as it should/as expected.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Seeing as I haven't played Smash Bros. since the N64 version, and the 'A' button has been burned into my brain as the jump button, I did horrid when I tried the demo. Didn't help that I was playing with my boyfriend, which was laggy as hell.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Got a demo code, played it hard for a couple of days, let my brother have a go, was handed back a broken 3DS.

Now waiting on the repair centre to see how much it's going to cost him.

So yeah, excellent demo. Looking forward to the full game. Very impressed by the graphics and feel. Nice mechanical changes seemingly make it far more aggressive and weighty than brawl.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Queen Michael said:
hazabaza1 said:
Functions like Smash, but without the tripping which is always nice.
What do you mean by "Smash"?
Meant to say like Brawl, my bad. Just feels more up to date than Melee did but again, without tripping (thank christ)

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I've enjoyed it a lot so far, I haven't played much since I don't want to burn myself out on the game. The visuals are great, and I already spoiled some of the music for myself on Youtube, and I can safely say, it will be worth buying both versions to get the free soundtrack. It's so good!

Since Link is my main character, it has been nice to get accustomed to the new controls with a character I know really well. However, it took me a little while to get jumping down for example. After having only used Gamecube controls since Melee, having to learn a new control style was a little hard.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I wish that they had switched the B button and A button from the way they're doing it now. It's against my instincts.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I had just one go at the match (I really need to used the Eshop more, I thought the demo was a seperate page, not within the Smash Bro page) and it little bit to get used (on a smaller screen) but none the less. it's the same gamre I still enjoyed.

My only main concern is the control mainly the analog stick as movement since I starting to see that recent info of broken analog stick from too much Smash being true. I really hoping they can let you adjust the control to asign the D pad for movement instead.

Also man, Streetpass is going to be a pain especially if it's 10!

Trinket to Ride

Jul 13, 2014
I'm just going to do random thoughts, because I can't really think of how to segue from one to the other:

-I love Link's little jump before he does a running slash now. It seems a bit more impactful, and I've actually dodged a couple of projectiles that way.

-I'm pleasantly surprised at how buttery smooth it runs. You can really tell background stuff is 30fps, but the main game is lovely.

-I don't like Mega Man as much as I thought I would. I like his smash attacks, but hate his specials. Crash Bomber is cool, and so is Rush Coil, but Metal Blade seems way to slow to be that useful, and Leaf Shield seems kind of like something you just have to remember to pop up every ten seconds.

-I'm surprised at how much I love Villager. That bowling ball side smash is awesome on ledges, and I love his/her specials, especially the pocket thing

-Why can't I be all-American Mario?

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
It's rather nice but so far i'm only good when playing as the Villager.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
Just beat pika-bot level 9 with 3:0 and minimal item use as link, felt like beating smough and ornstein for the first time again.
The game feels a lot faster then brawl from what i can tell (havent played melee yet) and hitting a smash feels awesome. Im not sure if i will get the 3ds version but im sold in the Wii u one.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I am really enjoying it, though I fear for the well-being of my circlepad. Been wrecking high level CPUs as Mario, Link and Villager. Can't wait for the full version!

Gonna be maining Lucina all day long like a boss.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
It's so great! I can't wait for the full version. I've been having lots of fun as Mega Man and Villager, but I really want to play Rosalina and Palutena. It took a while to get used to but the control scheme feels fairly natural, I don't feel like I'm performing worse then when I'm playing Brawl/Melee with a GC controller.

I have basically been playing a couple rounds every few hours since it came out. Good stuff.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Been playing it a bit, and it's been a mix of amazing and annoying.

The graphics are stunning. Far and away the best looking game on the 3DS (well, maybe second to Kingdom Hearts DDD). The small screen doesn't bother me at all, and I'm playing on an OG 3DS. Things only get tiny when there are 4 players going at it, and even then, that's really a problem that Smash has ALWAYS had.

The gameplay... well, it's Smash, and definitely a nice version of it. Definitely faster than Brawl, although KOs seem to be a bit harder to pull off. The playable vets are all immediately familiar (and I keep getting myself killed with Pikachu's recovery... which is par for the course, for me). Megaman seems a bit strange to me. I'll probably have to get used to him a bit. Villager is interesting, although I'm starting to get how he works. Incidentally:

TizzytheTormentor said:
For some reason, I can't fathom how the hell you can play Villager effectively, although I didn't try him out that much (his left/right B move almost got me killed a good few times)
The trick with his side specials is that you don't HAVE to ride the Gyroid. What you do is launch him, and the either jump in the air and do his slingshot move if your opponent jumps over it, or rush in and grab him if he shields. You basically use it to set up OTHER ways to damage your opponent. Or, if you get knocked off the stage, it makes for a very effective horizontal recovery if you don't want to use his balloons.

Really, my only annoyances with the demo is coming from the fact that, well, you can't change ANYTHING. The default controls are annoying, and the circle pad isn't very good for jumping (can't wait until I can turn that off). Playing the same stage over and over gets boring (I never liked Battlefield). And I really wish I could turn off items (I got so used to playing competitively that playing with items is actually getting on my nerves). Also, time instead of stock. Damn.

So really, anything that I find wrong with this version so far pretty much all boils down to the fact that I'm playing a demo. The full version will likely keep me entertained for a good long while.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
No 3DS so no Smash demo for me :,(
Just have to wait until the WiiU version comes out.
But based on these 15-ish comments it's looking promising :D

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Leemaster777 said:
Really, my only annoyances with the demo is coming from the fact that, well, you can't change ANYTHING. The default controls are annoying, and the circle pad isn't very good for jumping (can't wait until I can turn that off). Playing the same stage over and over gets boring (I never liked Battlefield). And I really wish I could turn off items (I got so used to playing competitively that playing with items is actually getting on my nerves). Also, time instead of stock. Damn.

So really, anything that I find wrong with this version so far pretty much all boils down to the fact that I'm playing a demo. The full version will likely keep me entertained for a good long while.
You can actually "turn off" items by choosing a Final Destination mode. To do this, just press x before you select the stage.

Also, thanks, indirectly, for the Villager tips.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
I really like what I've played so far - it seems much more balanced than any of its predecessors.

That being said, the controls for a Smash game just don't transition well to a handheld. I'm sure some people will get used to it and perform well enough, but there's not a chance in hell I'll ever play even close to my potential without a proper controller with decent button placement.

Yeah, I know that controller-like peripherals exist, but get real...