Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Syndrome Conundrum

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
vallorn said:
hey kraken. dont let me get crippled this time ok?
You're an infant of a soldier. The fuck do you think is going to happen?
... good point... well 1 very short life coming right up!

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I played Dwarf Fortress a few months ago quite heavily, but I had to use a graphical packs. The default mode is just too harsh on the eyes. Ultimately I quit playing because I find the interface to be too unfriendly and sluggish and only gets worse the larger your fortress gets.

That being said I am sure I'll eventually play it again.

Cool thread though.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
I take back what I said about my dwarf joining the army. I'm pretty sure she'd stab herself with her own spear at this point.

greatorder

Apr 22, 2011
BoogieManFL said:
I played Dwarf Fortress a few months ago quite heavily, but I had to use a graphical packs. The default mode is just too harsh on the eyes. Ultimately I quit playing because I find the interface to be too unfriendly and sluggish and only gets worse the larger your fortress gets.

That being said I am sure I'll eventually play it again.

Cool thread though.
if toady implements multitthreading, I'll let you know :)

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Chapter 103: From the journal of Stinthad Kekimtobul

1st Felsite, 1059, Late Spring

Wonderful! We st"arted off the month with a new batch of migrants approaching Reveredtour. We could always use some more workers around here, and hopefully some replacements for the recent military losses.

It's a fairly large group to. With this many dwarves, surely there must be some experience among them.

8th Felsite, 1059, Late Spring

It seems my assumption was correct. Many of the dwarves had at least average skills in professions we are lacking, so this migrant wave has been quite useful. Of course there was still your typical batch of dwarves fit only to be masons or haulers. Or at least they would be if we didn't need a military more than anything else.

3 of these dwarves had some minor fighting skills so they have been thrown into another new squad. Hopefully Gonzo20 can lead the Earthen Tomes to glory rather than defeat.

12th Felsite, 1059, Late Spring

Coleus Rattus seems to have finally gathered all the materials she needs, much to my relief. Apparently what we were lacking was stone blocks, which honestly surprises me. I guess I should have the masons produce some extra ones so we don't run into this problem again.

Wait, what kind of clothing is made from stone blocks?

14th Felsite, 1059, Late Spring

Oh god, what is this? Why do Ettins keep trying to attack Reveredtour? What did we ever do to piss them off?

Okay, let's not panic here. I'll just do what I normally do. Call everyone inside, raise the bridge, gather the military, and then watch them cut the Ettin to pieces. Yeah! Everything is going to be just fi-

NO!!! RUN AWAY ELVES!!!

17th Felsite, 1059, Late Spring

The elves had rather unfortunate timing this year, approaching the fort at the same time as one of those horrible Ettins. I'll admit I wasn't sure what to do. Should I have raised the bridge, leaving the elves to their fate but letting the military prepare? Or send the military out to rescue them and risk losing dwarves in the process? It was not an easy decision, and fortunately I did not have to make it.

By pure chance a cave kraken was wandering outside the fort when the Ettin arrived. I have no idea why it was out there, but it may have saved many lives. For the cave kraken distracted the Ettin while the elves made their way to the fort.

The cave kraken had no chance of beating the Ettin alone, but it did put up quite a fight. It even managed to lure the Ettin in the complete opposite direction of the elves. It eventually died, but not before the elves managed to make it inside safely.

The military also had time to gather, so while the Ettin was now charging towards the entrance we were prepared to face it.

The Ettin ran across the bridge, as is typical of these encounters. I wasn't particularly worried at this point. Our military was more than capable of taking down Ettins.

Indeed, the Ettin never really stood a chance. The entire military set upon it, swarming the Ettin in an instant. It was actually rather difficult to tell what was going on with so many dwarves attacking at once. However, it was clear when the final blow was struck

One of the soldiers dealt a decisive blow to the Ettin, knocking it back a good 10 feet. That's quite the accomplishment considering how big they are. The Ettin didn't get back up, the many injuries it had received taking their final toll on the brute.

I must admit, I was quite...surprised, I suppose, when I learned who had landed that final blow.

It was Gonzo20, the new Commander with almost no skills whatsoever. I can't believe he actually managed to slay the Ettin! Grated it was with the help of the entire military, but it's still very impressive. Perhaps the Earthen Tomes will have a brighter future than the other squads after all.

22nd Felsite, 1059, Late Spring

Coleus Rattus finished making her artifact and...well, wow! It's the prettiest dress I've ever seen!

I mean really! It's made form the highest quality spider silk we have! It's got some wonderful tunnel tube bands on it... I'm not sure why there's dog bone and octopre skin, but who cares! It doesn't even have pointless spikes or disturbing images! I love this dress!

Maybe those strange spirits aren't so bad. I mean, aside from possessing dwarves and making them shot horrible things.

27th Felsite, 1059, Late Spring

I ordered Silent Thunder to trade with the elves today. She was somewhat reluctant to do so after the incident last year, but she's never been one to defy orders. She went to talk with the elves despite her lack of confidence.

Fortunately the elves were more than willing to trade. It seems they're not going to hold the incident from last year against us. I told Silent Thunder to give them a rather generous profit, which was quite easy as there was little they had that interested us.

The elves found no offending objects among what we offered them. The trade was a complete success. Hopefully this means that our relations with the elves will continue to be positive.

Once again the dwarfing life has reached 0, so if you want to be dwarfed speak up so I won't have to delay an update involving migrants.

Anyways, I was worried when the elves decided to show up at the same time as the Ettin and really thought it was going to end poorly for someone. That cave kraken sacrificing itself really did save me a lot of trouble. I was a bit worried that it dying would make Root upset, but she's still to happy over having a daughter for this to affect her mood much.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Huh, so you got desperate enough to include my "signpost" suggestion when OhJohnNo isn't even dead yet. Perhaps if you properly run out, you could just start naming the migrants randomly.

Wait! Maybe they could be related. That would be cool.

Also, DUMATBISEK IS SPY

gonzo20

Dec 18, 2008
omfg i made a kill! i didnt get horribly mauled or eaten (yet). maybe i will become the next alath (hoping anyway)

EDIT: may i see my skills and personality oh mighty kraken? i wish to kill in the name of khorne! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

vallorn

Nov 18, 2009
Frozen_Flame said:
Vallorn you've just saved us from a possible Root-led tantrum spiral. Congrats :p
even as a child i saved this fort! a bright future awaits!

greatorder

Apr 22, 2011
vallorn said:
Frozen_Flame said:
Vallorn you've just saved us from a possible Root-led tantrum spiral. Congrats :p
never forget, you are being carried by root. she will sacrifice you for her own life. it's a natural dwarven thing

Feb 13, 2008
greatorder said:
vallorn said:
Frozen_Flame said:
never forget, you are being carried by root. she will sacrifice you for her own life. it's a natural dwarven thing
Hey, I resent that.

Not as much as I resent my little Kraken saving the Elves from the Ettin, but I'm sure he had his reasons.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
If you're desperate for names, you could always start naming them after Superheroes, like I do. There's great amusement in watching Batman punch a goblin to death.

vallorn

Nov 18, 2009
sheic99 said:
If you're desperate for names, you could always start naming them after Superheroes, like I do. There's great amusement in watching Batman punch a goblin to death.
let him wear a batleather cloak and name him Batdwarf! destroyer of Goblins!