Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Syndrome Conundrum

Thecard

Apr 27, 2011
I'd like to see my stats and know what job I have. If there is a shortage anywhere, even somewhere dangerous, I'll do it.

max w. antilles

Feb 10, 2011
I still would love to be dwarfed as "antilles"
and i don't care much to be born into the fortress ;)
first 3 very dangerous years
and then 9 parasitic years of just sitting in the meetinghall and drinking booze...
wait a second, that doesn't sound so bad at all :)

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Chapter 104: From the journal of Stinthad Kekimtobul

1st Hematite, 1059, Early Summer

Spring has now come to an end, and as the new season begins I'm pleased to announce that we have made substantial progress in our efforts to improve living conditions in Reveredtour. For the first of what I hope will be many private bedrooms have been completed.

They are humble abodes, but perfectly functional. Each will contain a bed and some chests for personal storage. These bedrooms will be built in the same area as the animal kennels, which I found already had suitable designs for rooms. Speaking of which, we have made a wonderful acquisition.

The giant spider I mentioned some time ago has been caught and teamed. It turns out it was a female, so hopefully it will breed with our male to produce adorable baby spiders! Isn't that just delightful? Not only do they produce valuable silk, but their considerable size and potent venom means they may be powerful way beasts as well. The goblins can't claim to have anything like this!

On a less positive note I have yet to find replacements for the cave kraken and elk bird that died of old age. Unfortunately both of them were female, which is making this rather difficult. Though we have plenty of males running around all females are butchered to ensure the population of the animals remains manageable. I suppose we'll have to rely on catching new animals for now.

9th Hematite, 1059, Early Summer

I've sent the Earthen Tomes out gazelle hunting for the past few days to hone their skills. So far everything has gone well, but they have reported something odd. They claim to hear this horrible moaning sound coming from the ocean, and apparently there are some massive things lying under the waves.

Kraken's Notes: Whales aren't a very common sight. Even in forts bordering the ocean whales very rarely show up. As one would expect, they are one of the largest creatures in Dwarf Fortress. However, they are fairly benign creatures just like their real life counterparts. Even if they were aggressive their inability to move on dry land renders them harmless. Subsequently, hunting whales and recovering their corpse is impossible without some clever engineering. They are a tempting prize though, as the meat of a single whale can feed a small fort for years. Very rarely a whale may actually beach itself on land, making it easy to kill and butcher.

While the normal whale is completely harmless, they are greatly feared when one embarks near a corrupted ocean. As all undead are capable of walking on land, the once harmless whale is now capable of slowly lumbering into your fort and crushing hapless dwarves. Their power is somewhat exaggerated, but one should not underestimate any beast of their size.

I'm not sure exactly what these things are, but they seem to be slowly swimming down the coastline. I hope they don't come near the fort. I certainly wouldn't want to face an entire pack of creatures that big.

14th Hematite, 1059, Early Summer

Alright, one mystery has been solved. I now know what those giant creatures in the water are. They're whales!

Um, zombie whales.

And they're crawling on land. I...don't want to fight these things. Maybe if we just ignore them they will go away? That might work, right? Besides, I hate to say it but we have bigger problems to contend with at the moment.

Some giant...stone...human...thing, I guess, has shown up in the Crypt and is now stomping towards the fort. Or maybe it's just going to go swimming like all the other monsters. I've sent the military down there just in case. Better safe than sorry after all.

22nd Hematite, 1059 Early Summer

Okay, what is with this? Is there some magical treasure at the bottom of that lake? The fountain of youth? Infinite booze? Why do all these creatures just come to Reveredtour only to swim in the lake next to the farm? Am I missing something here?

I mean, I'm not complaining. I'd rather them swim than try to kill dwarves. It's just so bizarre.

27th Hematite, 1059, Early Summer

The elves have finished packing up and are now heading back to their home. I warned them to stay away from the zombie whales, but I don't think it event matters since they're going in the opposite direction of them. I'm not even sure those zombie whales are even moving. With how slow they are it's hard to tell. At least if anyone accidentally gets near them they should be able to run away easily.

Shorter update today for various reasons I won't go into. No, I don't know why the lake pacifies the Forgotten Beasts. It is a mystery.

gonzo20

Dec 18, 2008
hooray i havent been horribly slaughtered yet by the masses of undead whales or the forgotten beasts who seem to have found paradise under the water.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
I wonder if the lake is just some unintended consequence of Toady's programming? I'm curious if other people have this happen to them.

Edit: How many Forgotten beast are just chilling down there now? On a side note, I'm imagining them all sitting around a table formulating a plan to kill the dwarves Legion of Doom style.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
sheic99 said:
I wonder if the lake is just some unintended consequence of Toady's programming? I'm curious if other people have this happen to them.

Edit: How many Forgotten beast are just chilling down there now? On a side note, I'm imagining them all sitting around a table formulating a plan to kill the dwarves Legion of Doom style.
Before I've hypothesized that water messes with the forgotten beast AI, but that's just a guess. Currently there are 4 of them hanging out down there. Hopefully if I ever update to a new version they won't suddenly snap back into reality and storm the fort at once.

Shootandrun

Mar 4, 2011
Internet Kraken said:
sheic99 said:

Before I've hypothesized that water messes with the forgotten beast AI, but that's just a guess. Currently there are 4 of them hanging out down there. Hopefully if I ever update to a new version they won't suddenly snap back into reality and storm the fort at once.
Just in case, you should get ready to make the ceiling fall on their heads.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Shootandrun said:
Internet Kraken said:
sheic99 said:

or better. get a tunnel set up to the outside where Goblins usually hang out.

then during the next seige FORGOTTEN BEAST RUSH! >:D

Thecard

Apr 27, 2011
vallorn said:
Shootandrun said:
Internet Kraken said:
sheic99 said:

or better. get a tunnel set up to the outside where Goblins usually hang out.

then during the next seige FORGOTTEN BEAST RUSH! >:D
That actually is a good idea. set up a bridge that leads down into the caverns, then raise it with a lever in a meeting area. build another bridge the same way, but on the other side of the caverns. When the gobbos come, lower the bridge, and let them come into the caverns. Then, once there is a suitable amount of Goblins, raise both bridges, trapping them with the Forgotten Beasts. Served best with liberal amounts of MAGMA.

greatorder

Apr 22, 2011
hmm... the FBs do love that lake...

if you're correct, then if you get a flame FB go into that lake, you'l have 5 FBs seiging you!

beastpocalypse

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I don't get this game sometimes. No matter what I do, my forts just won't get exciting. I even settled in a Terrifying Scorching Freshwater Swamp, yet the worst I get is Zombie Honeybadgers that get shred to pieces by even a stray dog.

And on the other side there's Reverdtour that seems to be the epitome of Murphy's Law.
Thecard said:
That actually is a good idea. set up a bridge that leads down into the caverns, then raise it with a lever in a meeting area. build another bridge the same way, but on the other side of the caverns. When the gobbos come, lower the bridge, and let them come into the caverns. Then, once there is a suitable amount of Goblins, raise both bridges, trapping them with the Forgotten Beasts. Served best with liberal amounts of MAGMA.
The dwarfiness is great in this one. I say, execute it right away!

Feb 13, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
The elves have finished packing up and are now heading back to their home. I warned them to stay away from the zombie whales, but I don't think it event matters since they're going in the opposite direction of them.
Oh, so it would have been a bad thing to send them in the opposite direction? Whoops...with one arm it's not always easy to tell the difference.

Anyway, young Vallorn needs to learn why bows are a bad thing against Zombies.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Internet Kraken said:
The elves have finished packing up and are now heading back to their home. I warned them to stay away from the zombie whales, but I don't think it event matters since they're going in the opposite direction of them.
Oh, so it would have been a bad thing to send them in the opposite direction? Whoops...with one arm it's not always easy to tell the difference.

Bows are good against everything! especially living thing... oh wait i see your point... :p

Feb 12, 2011
Its obvious. The lake must be a monster equivalent of a hot spring resort. They show up not to terrorize your fort, but to relax in the soothing mineral waters. The fact that the water may be 'tainted' with the blood and tears of dwarfs would only be a perk.

Thecard

Apr 27, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
I don't get this game sometimes. No matter what I do, my forts just won't get exciting. I even settled in a Terrifying Scorching Freshwater Swamp, yet the worst I get is Zombie Honeybadgers that get shred to pieces by even a stray dog.

And on the other side there's Reverdtour that seems to be the epitome of Murphy's Law.
Well, few animals live in the scorching desert.

Feb 13, 2008
vallorn said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Internet Kraken said:

Bows are good against everything! especially living thing... oh wait i see your point... :p
That's my girl. Now, stuff some more wooden toys in the trade basket.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
I think the FBs are chilling in the lake because they feel insecure. I would too if I had to fight a crazy dwarf woman covered in blood and holding an infant in her one arm.

Wait, that poses an interesting question. Root, where do you hold your weapon?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Thecard said:
Well, few animals live in the scorching desert.
It's a swamp, not a desert. I actually thought a whole damned lot would live there, goblins in particular, and all kinds of dirty creatures hiding in the muck. But the opposite is true so it seems.