Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Syndrome Conundrum

Engarde

Jul 24, 2010
I am surprised the swollen dwarf didn't grow bigger and bigger and pop like a fat, bearded blood balloon. Fingers crossed the syndromes stay mild!

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
why dont you have Nobles yet Kraken? and what are you planning for them when they do turn up?

adasdad

Aug 2, 2011
Aidinthel said:
adasdad said:
though seriously, suffocation?
Maybe your lungs filled with blood or something. From what I've seen of DF I am not at all surprised that the game would have calculated your injuries in such detail.

i understand, but its not really a dramatic way to die.

freetogoodhome

Mar 2, 2008
Is it possible that he survived the syndrome because his hand was smashed open therefore causing blood loss so he didn't pop?

Thecard

Apr 27, 2011
freetogoodhome said:
Is it possible that he survived the syndrome because his hand was smashed open therefore causing blood loss so he didn't pop?
Probably not how it worked, but it would be awesome if it did. The reason he didn't explode was probably that the random severity was not high enough, meaning it was like he was stung by a horde of mosquitoes. Which don't have malaria. Why don't they have malaria? Toady?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Chapter 109: From the journal of Stinthad Kekimtobul

2nd Obsidian, 1059, Late Winter

The start of the final month comes with the announcement of new life in the fort. At first I was quite happy to hear that another couple had a child to raise, but uh...

Well I'm not saying that Root and Aidinthel shouldn't raise a family, I just don't like Root carrying children into warzones. I don't know how she's going to carry two of them at the same time and fight, and I'm certainly not going to ask. She'd just get mad again.

The little girl is named after another fallen soldier. Hopefully she won't lead such a tragic life.

4th Obsidian, 1059, Late Winter

Finally, after months of work the masons have finished the Blood Bowl.

I like to think Rabid would be pleased with this. Not only is it fully functional, but it also has a pretty design! Sort of. I guess it doesn't really matter since it will be drenched in blood and pus at some point. I'll probably have some weapon traps installed to give us an edge in combat, but if the need arises the Blood Bowl can be used.

11th Obsidian, 1059, Late Winter

Of course. The last month couldn't just be nice and peaceful. Another one of these dumb forgotten beasts had to come along and ruin everything. What is this? A flying toad? That's dumb. I'm not afraid of it. Nobody is. The military is going to smash it, and then I'm going to get some peace and quiet.

Please? I'm not asking for much. I just don't want to have to add more dwarves to the obituary.

13th Obsidian, 1059, Late Winter

The entrance to Reveredtour from the first cavern is an area chocked in a permanent fog of miasma, the source of which is many rotting corpses and countless caged zombies. I never really considered it until now, but I think this much miasma is a serious health risk. Also, it keeps me from seeing a damn thing going on there.

However I could definitely tell that there was a fight going on from all the yelling and croaking. I could not tell who was winning, but I was confident that we had the upper hand.

And of course I was right. The only thing I was able to see clearly was Lord Shonus decapitating the flying toad. Another victory for Reveredtour! Now, I should probably do something about that miasma so visibility is not a problem in the future.

18th Obsidian, 1059, Late Winter

Another dwarf has been born here in Reveredtour. This is the second child of PurpleLemur and ChatoicKraus, who are overjoyed to have another child to raise.

A perfectly healthy baby girl. I must admit that I was worried that all these forgotten beats might have spread terrible diseases into Reveredtour, but if the vulnerable babies aren't getting sick then I doubt we have anything to worry about.

25th Obsidian, 1059, Late Winter

In order to solve the miasma problem I've had the old entrance walled off and a new one dug out. It's very close to the old one, but isn't covered in a disgusting cloud of miasma. This should make working in the first cavern a lot more pleasant.

Pretty uneventful month, but hey what can you do. Better than everyone randomly dropping dead, which I was constantly worried about after what happened to Rhiannon.

Anyways, looks like there are a ton of questions. I'll answer those later when I'm less lazy.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
How is Root going to carry a second baby. Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't Root only have one arm?

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
sheic99 said:
How is Root going to carry a second baby. Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't Root only have one arm?
Don't worry. My girls are getting along nicely.

Come and play with us.​
How do you hold the spear though?

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
sheic99 said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
sheic99 said:
Don't worry. My girls are getting along nicely.

Come and play with us.​
How do you hold the spear though?
Like Roranoa Zolo holds his third sword... In his mouth!

gonzo20

Dec 18, 2008
awwww i havent done anything cool lately, which is a shame, but at least im not dying from a syndrome or being eaten by a giant flying toad (although it would be hilarious)

Feb 12, 2011
Lovely miasma cloud down there. Also nice to see the blood bowl finished up finally. I hope it works out as well as planned.

If you need more names for dwarfing migrants, feel free to use the later part of my username: Endrati

Limecake

May 18, 2011
I finally got my own fortress off the ground. although now my miners are dead because I dug down a z-layer and I guess they couldn't get out and died of thirst. a shame really.

I'm starting to get the hang of it, just so many buttons to push.

EDIT: I thought that beast would put up more of a fight than that.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
gonzo20 said:
awwww i havent done anything cool lately, which is a shame, but at least im not dying from a syndrome or being eaten by a giant flying toad (although it would be hilarious)
YOU haven't done anything cool? The last anything I did was commit dwarfslaughter. Unless you count fathering two very-doomed children.