Let's Play: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask: Update 14: Great Pain Temple

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008

This.

Fucking.

Room.

Tatl: ?What?s so bad about it? It doesn?t look that bad.?

At first glance perhaps.

Link: ?You can hookshot that torch? How the fuck would you know that if you didn?t already??

Tatl: ?Ohhh, so it stops spinning.?

Link: ?Well that?s convenient.?

Link: ?Oh fuck I fell down again.?

And again.And again. And again. You see this room, and by extension this dungeon, isn?t so much difficult as it is unforgiving. You fall down and you have to repeat the same unfreezing and freezing stuff again each and every time. And when you have a shitty controller like I do, it becomes doubly painful.

Oh yeah, and climbing that wheel is really tricky. Basically it?s the fairies in this room making this a chore.

Fairy: ?Hey don?t hate on us, we?re not FORCING you to save us.?

Link: ?FUCK!?

Yup?

Link: ?Okay, I?ve lost track of how many times I?ve fallen. The exit is right there, all I need to do is make that jump.?

Link: ?Bunny hood just in case.?

Tatl: ?Yay I love seesaws!?

Tatl: ?Jelly?s not so much.?

This was under the first seesaw incase you can?t tell.

Link: ?Well, that leads us to the exit? there?s a fairy in here isn?t there??

Yuuuuup.

Oh no pressure link, but if you fall off this narrow pipe you have to redo the entire seesaw stuff again.

Link: ???

Link: ?Don?t look down??

He fell.

Link: ?Okay, THIS time.?

Nintendo decided you have to be Zora Link to reach that platform.

That only took, what, 4 attempts?

Link: ?Shut your face.?

Jelly?s: ?WE WANT TO BE IN THE LET?S PLAY!?

Link: ?GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME YOU SCUM BAGS!?

Link: ?Okay fine, one photo together.?

Jelly: ?HI MUM.?

Tatl: ?Hey we?re back here. Does this mean??

Yes, we can find the boss room.

Link: ?Do we really have to? I mean, we?re so close.?

Do you want that Great Fairy blessing or what?

Link: ?Pfft, fine.?

Link: ?So how do we get this one? Can?t use the fairy mask under water.?

Or can we?

Tatl: ?No we can?t.?

But we can use it on the surface. Some people might say going back and getting the upgrade would be useful for the next boss fight.

Link: ?But we?re far too lazy for that.?

Tatl: ?Wow, we?ve been in this dungeon for a while now.?

Indeed, the world would have ended by now if we didn?t have the reverse song of time.

Hmm, a pit. You ready, holder of the Triforce of Courage?

Link: ?Let?s do this shit!?

Tatl: ?Wow, you took absolutely no damage from that fall.?

Link: ?My balls of steel broke my fall.?

Hmm, what?s this?

Man, that music was just so appropriate for this scene.

Tatl: ?That fish still looks fake.?

Boss time! We?re facing off against a giant fish, so how we do kill it?

Link: ?Why bother asking the audience? Most have probably already played this game and are reading for nostalgia?s sake.?

It?s called being dramatic, now shut up and shoot it in the eye with your arrow.

Tatl: ?KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT!?

Much like Goht, this battle wants you to use your racial mask to beat this boss. There?s no other way to damage him since arrows only stun him.

Link: ?Swim away!?

Tatl: ?Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.?

Tatl: ?I SAID KEEP SWIMMING DON?T STOP TO GET EATEN!?

Those bites can do serious damage.

You also can?t spend too long on the platform as he smashes into it to try and knock you off.

Link: ?Clever girl.?

Link: ?Oh this isn?t going to end well??

Link: ?HE?S PIERCING MY INSIDES!?

You have to arrow then Zora charge him something like 3 times.

At which point, he spawns help. But they?re pretty useless. This fight is rather repetitive.

God, Zora Link is graceful.

You know, when he?s not being eaten alive.

Link: ?Take that you scoundrel!?

Come on, you?re so close to killing him.

Tatl: ?FINISH HIM!?

*Link and Tatl high five*

Hey it?s kind of like the reverse from that growing fish in the tank.

Finally. No more Great Pain temple.

Link: ?Shall we??

Please my good Hero, go ahead.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008

Ohhh very blue here.

Hey there spaghetti legs.

Link: ?Like Ben leaving this LP unfished and pissing off all the readers.?

Link: ?Well that?s pretty obvious by this point.?

You could try to summon the giants when you have less than 4, but they can?t succeed. You need every single one. By the way, I forgot to mention this ages ago when I was talking about the prominence of the number 4 in this game, but do you know why that number is so significant?

Because in Japanese culture, 4 is the number of death.

Link: ?Well? that explains why this game gets pretty dark at times.?

Tatl: ?Anyone else getting a ?Gandalf? vibe from this turtle??

Link: ?Sweet! Time to play some music and get all the fine, fishy ladies.?

Tatl: ?I know furry refers to attraction to furred humanoids, but is there one for fish??

I really, really do not want to know.

Oh hey, the whole reef is here.

Let?s get the lights set up properly for this.

Link: ?Not without me it ain?t.?

Tatl: ?That?s better.?

Link: ?FISH WOMEEEEEEENNNNNNNN!?

*Tatl and Ben facepalm*

Link: ?Shame I can?t talk to tell this guy I actually saved the day.?

Yeah, it?s not even like Snowhead where all the Goron?s acknowledge you were the one who actually saved them. Bummer.

Link: ?Bro?s before hoes.?

Link: ?That?s good? That?s all you have to say??

Tatl: ?Maybe when you save the world she?ll call it an eventful afternoon.?

I don?t recall Lonely Island being turned into turtles, but I?m sure they?d write a funny song about it.

Tatl: ?I?m on a turtle??

Don?t you fucking start.

And not because, you know, Mikau forgot to wear a rubber.

Tatl: ?So, do these guys have a king or some form of governing? Because it seems like the only notable people here are the band members.?

Link: ?Maybe they chose their leaders through guitar battles.?

That? actually sounds awesome.

Tatl: ?Urgh, why can?t it be longer.? T_T

It is longer, in the credits.

It certainly is Lulu. So you?re probably wondering about depression which I haven?t really talked about much since we got here. I can?t say I speak from experience, but depression is much like a deep, dark pool of water. It sucks you in, covers you and holds you down, fills your lungs and distorts your view of the outside world. It is something that no human on this Earth will not experience to some degree, but some will have it far worse than others.

Depression is the last symptom of grief that can be considered negative. Denial is refusal to acknowledge, anger is the fight against that knowledge, bargaining is the attempted exchange but depression? It is like the first true acceptance, but it?s so difficult to live with that you feel yourself sinking deeper into that water until it becomes the very thing you breathe. People may say ?cheer up? but it?s difficult to do so when the very way you view the world is through a bleak, distorted surface.

People have many ways to deal with depression. Sometimes it?s music, sometimes it?s causing distress to others? and sometimes, it?s when you dive right in. When you wallow in that feeling for just a moment. To just let yourself feel overwhelmed, just for a little bit. Because there is something so powerful that can make the worst of times seem like they?re passing, that makes you realise it?s okay to feel like that.

Acceptance.

Link: ?That?s because it is, or would you rather I make a joke after that heartfelt discussion of depression that Ben just did??

Tatl: ?He is many things, genius is not one of them.?

It?s with a degree of embarrassment I admit I had almost rewound time at that point before deciding to quit and save. I lay in bed, thinking before I heard this noise in my head.

I FORGOT TO RETURN THE FAIRIES.

Naturally I got up and did that before I do something INCREDIBLY stupid and have to collect them all again.

Link: ?Courage eh? Don?t suppose you have any Triforce?s lying around??

Link: ?Wow, I?m so high I could swear my hearts were suddenly out-lined white.?

Fuck. Yes.

It says ?enemies do half as much damage? but what it really means is she just doubled your health. Only now collected hearts to refill hearth are essentially worth double hearts. Really, this is one of the most important upgrades in the game.

Link: ?Love you babe.?

Awww, he?s even waving goodbye this time.

Link: ?Okay, now what??

Now, incase I do something stupid again, we?re going to find all the frogs since we already got the one in Great bay.

But first money.

I kind of thought Zora Link could swim in the swamp, but this works too.

Yup, we?re back here again.

Okay, now we need to bring Spring.

Which means?

Killing Goht, for the third time in this game alone.

Tatl: ?The gang?s all here!?

Link: ?Why thank you, I have been drinking protein shakes.?

Tatl: ?Hehe, that was cute.?

Link: ?Shut up, I wanted the heart and nothing else.?

How about fuck off I?m not going through all that shit again?
This was a massive update where even Link and Tatl get some time to voice their opinions. Let me know if you enjoyed their input or if I should just stick to my own commentary. Enjoy!

Question time: I know I already voiced my opinion about the whole Batman Ben Affleck thing, but what do you think? Or if you don?t care, how do you feel the internet?s reaction has been?

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Fact: the only way to truly end this fight is like this:

I agree with you in regards to Twilight Princess. Although I played it when I was still forming my psyche and loved it then, the fact is that Twilight Princess is just a better game. Better combat, better dungeons, better items (seriously, the spinning top was HILARIOUS) a world that felt like a living, breathing place than just a level hub, a story that was actually, y'know, a story, with character arcs and themes and crap, and best of all, Midna, who remains my favorite Zelda companion. Zelda is one of the most iterative franchises in all of gaming, so if you want to ***** about Twilight Princess being vaguely similar to Ocarina of Time, then I guess we better toss Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Oracle of Time/Ages, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, and pretty much every game in the series apart from the first one, Zelda 2, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker in the bin. Though, to be fair, Skyward Sword belongs there anyway.

In regards to Batfleck, eh, I just don't know. I'll have to see him in action, and I'll reserve judgement until I actually see BatmanSuperman/World's Finest/BatmanVsSuperman/Man of Steel 2/Man of Tommorow/Whatever the hell they're going to call this movie. Kevin Conroy will always by my Batman anyway. The internet's reaction is deplorable, as usual, but honestly, I think both sides have been behaving pretty disgustingly. On one hand, we have insane comic fans being insane comic fans (we are a passionate bunch, aren't we) but on the other, we have pundits and critics lambasting the other side for not being open to different interpretations of the character...immediately after they slammed Man of Steel for being a different interpretation of the character. Yes, Moviebob and others, I'm looking at you. /rantover

Great update, as usual. I liked the voices of link and the rest (surprise surpruse), and, I must say, you tackled the Great Bay Temple far better than I ever could. I've never broken a controller, but I came closest on this goddamn place.

The stone tower is coming soon! I can't wait to hear what you are gonna say about...that.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
woodaba said:
I agree with you in regards to Twilight Princess. Although I played it when I was still forming my psyche and loved it then, the fact is that Twilight Princess is just a better game. Better combat, better dungeons, better items (seriously, the spinning top was HILARIOUS) a world that felt like a living, breathing place than just a level hub, a story that was actually, y'know, a story, with character arcs and themes and crap, and best of all, Midna, who remains my favorite Zelda companion. Zelda is one of the most iterative franchises in all of gaming, so if you want to ***** about Twilight Princess being vaguely similar to Ocarina of Time, then I guess we better toss Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Oracle of Time/Ages, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, and pretty much every game in the series apart from the first one, Zelda 2, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker in the bin. Though, to be fair, Skyward Sword belongs there anyway.

Great update, as usual. I liked the voices of link and the rest (surprise surpruse), and, I must say, you tackled the Great Bay Temple far better than I ever could. I've never broken a controller, but I came closest on this goddamn place.

The stone tower is coming soon! I can't wait to hear what you are gonna say about...that.
Pretty much every point I have for thinking Twilight Princess is a better game than Ocarina but naturally that's all subjective.

Thanks about the voices. I noticed I naturally gravitated towards an id, ego and superego style trio almost without noticing (try and guess which is which). Also thought you might have enjoyed Bob's little cameo there.

I cannot wait for Stone Temple, there is so much I want to talk about with that place.