Let's Play: Sacrifice - Update - Part 2

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
>PART TWO< [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.386354-Lets-Play-Sacrifice-Update-Part-2-SOLIS-THE-PROPHECY#15422607]

"What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too I was certain, and I was friendless and homeless... and so, I prayed."
Hello, and welcome to my first Let's Play! Well okay, it's actually my second, after the first attempt to LP this game came to halt due to technical issues and my own lack of forsight. This time around I'll be keeping frequent save files so that, in the event of a major cock-up, I don't have to start over from the very beginning.

[HEADING=3]THE GAME WE'RE PLAYING:[/HEADING]

Sacrifice, one of my all time favourites.

That's a bit of a tough question. It's a fantasy RPG, but you won't find any elves or dwarves swinging around battle axes nor any loot to collect. It's also strategy game, but one in which you directly control your character from the thick of things. Resource gathering is minimal and the focus is more on short, chaotic skirmishes than long, drawn out battles.

You play as a vagrant wizard escaping the destruction of his own world, who travels to another realm in the hopes of finding a new home and quickly becomes embroiled in a conflict between the five ruling gods. With each mission he takes, he gains new, more powerful spells to cast and creatures to summon.

Sacrifice was developed by Shiny Entertainment, of Earthworm Jim and MDK fame. It was the last original IP they worked on, and probably the most thouroughly bizarre (which is saying quite a lot.)

[HEADING=3]THIS WILL BE A VIDEO/TEXT AND SCREENCAP LET'S PLAY[/HEADING]

Words alone really aren't enough to do Sacrifice justice, though I can understand if you don't want to sit through ten minutes of someone else's gameplay to get to the story bits. Therefore, I'll include a text summary of each mission alongside the video, with screencaps (and dialogue included.)

[HEADING=3]HOW IT WORKS[/HEADING]

Due to the narrative's branching nature, it only makes sense that the audience should have a say in what happens, so any time we come to a significant fork in the road I'll hold a vote on our course of action. Usually this means choosing which god to serve for the next mission, though a few other descisions will eventually pop up. Currently I have plenty of free time, so I'll try to update at least once a week.

[HEADING=1]PART ONE[/HEADING]​

Meet Eldred, as he wanders through a charred wasteland blithering to himself.

After encountering an old blind seer by the name of Mithras among some burnt out ruins, the white wizard relates his tale of how all this destruction came to be, and the part he played in bringing it about. We are enter a flashback as Eldred presents himself to the gods, who are all eager to have him for their own. Each introduces him or herself in grandiose fashion and assigns a task for Eldred, who now faces his first major decision as he must choose which of them to align himself with.

Who should he serve? Keep in mind that it only affects the current mission, at least for now.

PERSEPHONE

The goddess of life, Persephone's spell book focuses mostly on healing spells. Her creatures are fairly balanced in terms of health, damage and speed, and they regenerate health faster than those of other gods.

JAMES

The god of earth, James's creatures are slow moving but extremely durable (some are even immune to certain types of magic.) That said, they seem to have a pretty significant weakness to fire.

STRATOS

The god of air, Stratos has some of the most damaging spells, but also has some of the weakest creatures (albeit the fastest.)

PYRO

The god of fire, Pyro's spell book is focused on the offensive and can do a lot of damage very quickly. The same is true of his followers, though they are quite fragile in trade.

CHARNEL

The god of death, Charnel's spells tend to be slower in action, though not necessarily any less damaging. His creatures do not regenerate automatically, but instead steal life from their foes.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
No takers, I see. Unfortunate, as I had actually been quite looking forward to this.

Oh well, onwards and upwards. If no one posts within the next few hours I'll just have to move on regardless.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Sober Thal said:
-Drifter- said:
Great game!

Pick James. Why? Comedy is always a great choice!

Will this be a video lets play series? Or ya gunna type everything out??
Both. Figured some people may not want to sit through lengthy gameplay vids. I'll also include screencaps and even a few illustrations.

Uncreation

Aug 4, 2009
Awesome game indeed! I applaud you for doing this sir. I will try to keep an eye on this thread.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
-Drifter- said:
Sober Thal said:
-Drifter- said:
Great game!

Pick James. Why? Comedy is always a great choice!

Will this be a video lets play series? Or ya gunna type everything out??
Both. Figured some people may not want to sit through lengthy gameplay vids. I'll also include screencaps and even a few illustrations.
Nah, go Charnel. He's such a magnificent bastard.

sonofliber

Mar 8, 2010
fing awesome game one of my all time favorites, i would go with stratos or charnel (screw piro)

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Currently the vote sits at:

James: 1
Stratos: 1
Charnel: 2

I'm going to do a practice run of the first mission. If the vote is the same by the time I'm done, I'll start recording.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
-Drifter- said:

I'm going to do a practice run of the first mission. If the vote is the same by the time I'm done, I'll start recording.
So then, my Persephone vote is prolly moot at this point?

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Erana said:
-Drifter- said:

So then, my Persephone vote is prolly moot at this point?
'Fraid so. I've already finished recording. You'll get another shot tomorrow, though.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
[HEADING=1]PART TWO[/HEADING]​

Eldred travels to an ancient dragon bone yard to cause some mischief for the god of slaughter.

Eldred: We were sent the bone yards of Solis; ancient dragon burial grounds. There, we would seek out a necromancer called "The Ragman."

Mithras: Ah, the Ragman. Before he was displaced by Acheron, the Ragman was known as the lord of terror. That was many generations ago.
- Mission Start -

CHARNEL: After he failed me, I left the Ragman chained to a rock in a cavern not far from here. It is time he was set free. Unfortunately, the dragons who daily tear at his flesh are unlikely to cooperate. You must drive them away, and use Gangrel here to sever the chains.

[GANGREL APPEARS]

GANGREL: I thirst for blood!

Zyzyx introduces Eldred to his new minions.

[HEADING=2]FALLEN[/HEADING]

ZYZYX: The fleet-footed Fallen can send out a stream of those insect that are always buzzing about them, which is particularly useful against flying enemies. Oh, and they are very good at playing dead, which allows them to heal themselves.
Our flying friend suggest that 12 Fallen should be sufficient to scare off the dragons.

CHARNEL: A good aproach. I trust you will be able to aquire souls from the locals as necessary.

[HEADING=2]SCYTHE[/HEADING]

ZYZYX: Scythes are deadly in combat. They feed off the creatures they slice up, restoring their health with every attack. But they can be picked off by spells and can't attack flying creatures, so making sure they get into combat is the real trick.
[HEADING=2]LOCUST[/HEADING]

ZYZYX: The Locust is a fragile creature that relies on staying out of the reach of its enemies to survive. It has a very effective attack that will drain enemies of their mana as well as their health.
With that out of the way, the mission begins. After building a manalith (a structure that gives the player mana,) summoning a couple Manahoars (creatures which transmit this mana to the player) and getting everyone in formation, Eldred and company head out and quickly stumble across some of James' Troggs [http://sacrifice-shiny.wikia.com/wiki/Trogg] guarding a small village. Unfortunately for them, they're both outnumbered and outmatched, and are swiftly cut to ribbons by Gangrel. The peasants prove surprisingly non-chalant about the whole thing, standing around and making idle conversation while Eldred destroys a nearby manalith to build one of his own.

He decides to leave them alone, as it's doubtful their souls will be needed to reach the Fallen quota. The band travels away from the village and soon comes across another manalith, this one seemingly unguarded. As they get closer, though, they're ambushed by Earthflings [http://sacrifice-shiny.wikia.com/wiki/Earthfling] disguised as rocks. However, like their comrades before them, the Yeomen are easily dispatched and their souls harvested. Moving on, Eldred makes his way up a nearby hill and spots something on the other side.

ZYZYX: Sirocco.

SIROCCO: Parasites! You will torment me no longer!

ELDRED: And then she flew away. Her purpose was unclear, but it could not be good. There was such a madness in her voice.
After their little dragon encounter, the group continues down the hill and spies a third manalith. Eldred sends Gangrel and the two other scythes to destroy it, checking the surrounding area for more Earthlings. He comes across two odd looking stones on the side of a hill but they don't react to his presence, so he returns to the fountain. Once there, though, the rocks spring to life and everyone is once again under attack. This time there are more of them, and one the Locuts is killed. Again, however, the ambushers do not fare well against Gangrel's blades.

Their souls are sent back to the altar to be converted, and soon there'll be enough to summon all the Fallen needed. However, Eldred doesn't feel like waiting, and instead orders some of his own creatures killed and uses their souls instead.

Once all the Fallen are summoned, Eldred appears before the cave in which the Ragman is chained. Gangrel and the others rush in, and the sound of battle can be heard. After a few seconds there is silence, and the Ragman emerges.

RAGMAN: Sirocco is beaten. Her life is a waking nightmare, and she suffers my torment with me.

CHARNEL: Ragman, the years have not diffused your malice. You have tainted everything that was once pure in this valley, including the vaunted and ancient Sirocco. There is hope for you after all. You may consider your penance complete... for the time being.

RAGMAN: I am yours to command, master.

CHARNEL: First, we must consecrate an altar for you, then we shall see how much control you have over this dragon.

Then, something rather unexpected happens.

ELDRED: I shortly discovered that my actions had been witnessed.

JAMES: I can see you're a decent fellow.

ZYZYX: James has offered you a boon.

It seems James noted Eldred's benevolence towards the farmers earlier, and rewarded him thusly. The boon is accepted, and with that the mission ends.

So, which god should we go with this time?

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
Well, there is Persephone in this stage, where the Scarabs and the Ethereal Form may be the best of the Level 2 spells.

In the other hand, i would like to see how you "handle" playing with Stratos and the use of Vortix

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
In fact, all gods are viable choices because the single player is quite easy. If you really want a challenge you should use units and micromanagement in a more complex way, like:

1)Sending Frostwolfs far away to scout and destroy ALL manaliths
2)Using more Vortix than snipers and artillery class monsters
3)Going with Pyro to get Tickfernos and instead of having them to defend you and pray for them to hit something someday, you should micro them to get close enough to the enemy wizard before firing so they always drain him.
4)Make more use of The Fallen ambushes with Play Death

In short, spice up your lets play a bit or will look stale.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
-Drifter- said:
Ahhh Sacrifice, one of the best games that Interplay made, really unique :)

I got it on steam last year out of pure nostalgia and I remember that some of the later levels are damn tricky.

I like to go with the three "good" gods (Morally speaking) in the early levels so I can take advantage of Persephone's' healing spells in turn with the tough units from James. Plus a bit of Stratos never hurts, STORM GIANTS :D

For this mission in particular I would go with Persephone, you get the healing unit Scarab which is a big bonus ^^

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
lRookiel said:
-Drifter- said:
Ahhh Sacrifice, one of the best games that Interplay made, really unique :)

I got it on steam last year out of pure nostalgia and I remember that some of the later levels are damn tricky.

I like to go with the three "good" gods (Morally speaking) in the early levels so I can take advantage of Persephone's' healing spells in turn with the tough units from James. Plus a bit of Stratos never hurts, STORM GIANTS :D

For this mission in particular I would go with Persephone, you get the healing unit Scarab which is a big bonus ^^
You know? i wanted at first for him to get the best creatures possible but in the end, it will make the game too easy. After all, the computer doesn't have access to powers the player has except an adventaje in souls and starting position, so it would be better for the lets player to try weird combinations and use them at their maximum efficacy.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Go with Persephone or James...seriously Persephone is awesome, if only due to my nerd-boner because its Jennifer Hale speaking her.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
-Drifter- said:
DioWallachia said:
2)Using more Vortix than snipers and artillery class monsters
I assume you're voting for Stratos for next mission, then?
yes, but still i am not sure if you are considering what i said before. Is just that, once you get the best creatures in the game with 4-5 souls, all the other ones are ignored completely and it would be nice to see how someone manages to win against an opponent that WILL abuse the most powerful units.

Is just to see if the lesser units can still make a diference withinh the system of Rock<Paper<Scissors.