Let's talk about Detective Pikachu.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I know this film came out a while back now, but I just saw it and want to have a discussion about it.

So did anybody else see it? What are your thoughts on the movie?

I thought it was ok. The cg pokemon didn't actually look that bad, but it was a little weird people just seemed to be using pokemon just as pets, it didn't really seem like a civilization that evolved around working with pokemon. My main problem with the movie was that it simply wasn't a good mystery movie, it was an action comedy. The main characters didn't actually solve anything, the bad guy gave it all away himself. First he points them in the direction of the lab, and then once they find Mewtwo and he recaptures it he just goes ahead and monologues his whole plan. It's not even a very good plan. What's the point of merging all the humans with pokemon? I can see why he wants to do it for himself, but why go city wide other than to give the movie a bombastic climax? And why the heck was the female lead running through the streets yelling at people to not let their pokemon breathe in the gas? It just made her look like an idiot. The gas is everywhere, what are they supposed to do? Suffocate their pokemon instead? Pull out the SCBAs they are all lugging around in their backpacks?

The movie would have been a lot better if it had been about solving a more low key mystery. Something requiring methodical observation and logical deduction, not running away from earthquakes and rooftop battles. You know, something that actually would require a detective. Frankly, the pikachu didn't even really act like a detective, more like a comedian in a hunting hat. It's just disappointing because I like the idea of a pikachu only the one guy can understand solving mysteries and stuff (kind of like the Cat Who mysteries if the main character could talk to the cat), but that just isn't at all what we got.

On a side note, did anybody play the DS games? Were they any good?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The film is a 7 out of 10. 6 that worse. I know the kids love it more and remember it more fondly when they are going to become adults.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm still having trouble accepting I live in a world where a live action Pokemon movie was only a middling success but a live action movie starring Sonic the Hedgehog was a raging success. I'm not prepared to accept any explanation other than Faustian pacts or seriously dark and depraved magic.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm still having trouble accepting I live in a world where a live action Pokemon movie was only a middling success but a live action movie starring Sonic the Hedgehog was a raging success. I'm not prepared to accept any explanation other than Faustian pacts or seriously dark and depraved magic.
Cuz he's Sonic the Hedgehog. No matter how much he's been beat down or pushed back, he managed and finds a way to speed all the way through. I still don't like the movie, but it doesn't bother me

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I mean, was it? According to Wikipedia Sonic grossed $319.7 million at the box office and Detective Pikachu grossed $433 million. Also Sonic has 63% on Rotten Tomatoes while Detective Pikachu has 67%. It seems like DP wins by a slight margin

Reactions: Bedinsis

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I mean, was it? According to Wikipedia Sonic grossed $319.7 million at the box office and Detective Pikachu grossed $433 million. Also Sonic has 63% on Rotten Tomatoes while Detective Pikachu has 67%. It seems like DP wins by a slight margin
*re-checks numbers* Huh, for some reason I got it in my head Sonic made shitloads more money. Oh well, I'll leave it for thread context but statement withdrawn. I still find it weird that a Pokemon movie didn't involve the invention of new numbers to count its money though.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
*re-checks numbers* Huh, for some reason I got it in my head Sonic made shitloads more money. Oh well, I'll leave it for thread context but statement withdrawn. I still find it weird that a Pokemon movie didn't involve the invention of new numbers to count its money though.
It looks a lot better if you count it in yen. The Pokemon movie made ¥47 723 961 000.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I thought the movie was surprisingly solid. I expecting to be really annoyed by pandering or crap writing, but no it was quite pleasant. I don't really have anything to add so instead I'll share that I worked at Toys'R's when the original Pokedex was released. I can confirm Parents would pay any price to obtain those things in time for Christmas. Any....price.

I wish I could say I am a Pokemon Fan, but I just never really got into it I actually spent my first paycheck when I was 15-16 to buy a Yellow Gameboy Color with the yellow Pokemon game. I got stuck somewhere involving ghosts(its been like 20 years no idea.). I think I get major reservations whenever I'm accosted by a game that tells me out of the gates its going to be a major time investment.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I thought the movie was surprisingly solid. I expecting to be really annoyed by pandering or crap writing, but no it was quite pleasant. I don't really have anything to add so instead I'll share that I worked at Toys'R's when the original Pokedex was released. I can confirm Parents would pay any price to obtain those things in time for Christmas. Any....price.

I wish I could say I am a Pokemon Fan, but I just never really got into it I actually spent my first paycheck when I was 15-16 to buy a Yellow Gameboy Color with the yellow Pokemon game. I got stuck somewhere involving ghosts(its been like 20 years no idea.). I think I get major reservations whenever I'm accosted by a game that tells me out of the gates its going to be a major time investment.
I was 9 when Pokemon yellow came out. I got it during the weekend it first launched.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Bear in mind that that was the last major release before covid-19 made cinema visits impossible in many parts of the world, so therefore it is probably talked about more than would otherwise be warranted. If it is brought up more often in conversation then you might subconsciously believe "many people must've seen it".

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I saw it and I dunno, it made almost no impression on me, other than the 3 main character all seemed to be acting in completely different movies. The main guy was in a grim grr serious down on his luck, my dad is dead/missing mystery movie, the reporter lady was from every Adam Sandler romantic comedy ever with about the same amount of attempted jokes, and Detective Pikachu was just doing Deadpool. Like I get some people like Deadpool, but Ryan Reynolds really pulled a Leslie Nielson and became a parody of himself and just wants to do the same character in every movie.
Detective Pikachu, Hitman Bodyguard, Hobbs vs Shaw, that up coming Free Guy, the Deadpool movies...its all the same damn character. And it was sorta funny in the first Deadpool.
Oh and the main villain was from the 70s era James Bonds and defeated in a expected 70s way.

Reactions: BrawlMan