Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Parasondox said:
Zontar said:
Parasondox said:
Zontar said:
Parasondox said:
I Without his iron fist, DareDevil can take him apart.
Yeah but to be blunt those are two characters where even with the use of his Iron Fist it should be up for debate who would win.
Let's open that up. Who do you think would win or do you think, from the series alone not comic books, is better trained, shown more skill and would win in a fight better the two?
Without the use of Iron Fist? DareDevil hands down, he had Stick to train him and teach him how to use this senses to their full abilities which the monks did not do for Danny.
I agree but for 15 years what has those monks been teaching him? 15 years should have given him loads of experience. Maybe not as Iron Fist but before his trial.
True but it's not just the training, DD is a superior fighter because of how finely tuned his senses are.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
I sort of liked it but the more I think about it, the less I do. And everything about what I don't like has to do with the Hand. Not only are the Netflix Hand super damn bland and uninteresting, but making Iron Fist's sole purpose to defend K'un-Lun from them is so idiotic I can't even.....I mean why would one of the Seven Cities of Heaven, which is thousands upon thousands of years old AND it appears on the himalayas in mainland china only once every fifteen years AND it's full of kung fu super monks (Lei Kung is a force of nature by himself, and lets not even talk about Yu-Ti) care about some bloody ninjas from feudal japan. I just hate how they shoehorned them in just for the Defenders, when there were so many better ways tying Iron Fist into them than what they did.

I also don't much like how they did Davos, but I'm willing to give him a pass because I dearly want Steel Serpent to show up.

Fight choreography could also be better. Danny Rand is supposed to be hands down the best martial artist in the marvel universe (well, tied with Shang Chi), and it doesn't show.

TL;DR - My main gripe is how they gutted/changed the IF mythos to make way for the Defenders team-up. I just hope the Defenders is worth it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Finished the show the other day. It was a real chore for me and my wife to sit through. And she's generally a good sport about bad shows/films. Aside from the already mentioned bad acting, bad writing, bad fighting, and generally bad everything (except Ward and Harold Meecham, god I loved those 2, so over the top it was refreshing), aside from all that, I also was annoyed by the ending.

He looks up at a pair of red lights, they remind him of the dragon eyes, and now he can summon the Iron Fist again?! WTF?!

Also, when Joy decides to talk to the guy about killing Danny....I'm sorry, wut? Where in the fuck did that come from?! She had always been in support of Danny, even when she is bleeding to death on a couch, she still states that Danny will come to help them. That he wouldn't abandon them, and he didn't. She was vindicated in her faith in Danny in that scene.

So then where does this "I'll listen to your plans for killing Danny" bullshit come from?!

All of the insanity in her life was due to her unstable brother (who I can at least somewhat empathize given his situation), and her crazy, not really dead, frankenstein of a father. Both of which she clearly learns by the end. So what the hell is with this redirection of her problems to Danny??

I just, that was total crap.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Honestly I enjoyed it. Sure I didn't like it nearly as much as I have other Marvel Netflix releases, but as a martial arts practitioner and enthusiast I really appreciated the choreography. This was one of the first shows that I've seen in recent years that actually told a story through the combat (and believe it or not, it wasn't Danny's fight scenes that told a story, it was Colleen's combat). I've studied enough martial arts and had enough friends who studied different styles (on top of liking to watch tournaments), that I could detect the style shifts showing her struggling with her dedication to Kendo, Jujitsu, and Bushido (though last is literally just her way of life, not an actual martial arts style) and her Chinese heritage with Kung Fu.

As for the controversy I've heard 2 major points talked about. The first seems to be about Danny being a white guy who becomes master of a distinctly Asian fighting style, followed by the second talking about exploiting stereotypes... This is really confusing to me as the two points are in distinct opposition to each other. The first is a complaint that an Asian didn't get the role of a distinctly Asian style Kung Fu master and their second that the show relies on commonly held beliefs about who acts like what (with Colleen and Ward as the primary targets). Aside from this some places talk about the writing and the characters in some small detail, of which some I agree with (mainly that they shouldn't have bothered with yet another background story unless they were actually going to give the full background) and some I do not (that Danny should be an Asian guy and not act like such a self-righteous prick all the time). Honestly I felt it did a fair job with the source material, and aside from being yet another origin story without a full origin I am very happy with it. The pacing is great, the writing is good, the actors are decent, and the fights are amazing (though they do understate Danny's powers and abilities).

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I'm half way through and its better than I expected.

Disclaimer: I expected it to be a show about Iron Fist, who I could not give a crap about, so that bar is low.

Similarly, I also don't give a crap about pre-heroes for hire Luke Cage. Found his show also average. Essentially, I watch these marvel Netflix shows to see the final pay off when they team up. I tend to multitask while watching them because I'm not super into it.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
Finished the show the other day. It was a real chore for me and my wife to sit through. And she's generally a good sport about bad shows/films. Aside from the already mentioned bad acting, bad writing, bad fighting, and generally bad everything (except Ward and Harold Meecham, god I loved those 2, so over the top it was refreshing), aside from all that, I also was annoyed by the ending.

He looks up at a pair of red lights, they remind him of the dragon eyes, and now he can summon the Iron Fist again?! WTF?!

Also, when Joy decides to talk to the guy about killing Danny....I'm sorry, wut? Where in the fuck did that come from?! She had always been in support of Danny, even when she is bleeding to death on a couch, she still states that Danny will come to help them. That he wouldn't abandon them, and he didn't. She was vindicated in her faith in Danny in that scene.

So then where does this "I'll listen to your plans for killing Danny" bullshit come from?!

All of the insanity in her life was due to her unstable brother (who I can at least somewhat empathize given his situation), and her crazy, not really dead, frankenstein of a father. Both of which she clearly learns by the end. So what the hell is with this redirection of her problems to Danny??

I just, that was total crap.
So, apparently in the comics she was only an Iron Fist enemy (not as a supervillain, just as someone who wants him dead, same with Ward). I think they did a good job of shifting Ward around, but honestly, they dropped the ball with Joy. Like...I guess they focused on developing Ward so well they forgot that "Oh yeah, she is supposed to be become a villain".

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
The divisiveness of if people like Iron Fist is very interesting.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Saelune said:
So, apparently in the comics she was only an Iron Fist enemy (not as a supervillain, just as someone who wants him dead, same with Ward). I think they did a good job of shifting Ward around, but honestly, they dropped the ball with Joy. Like...I guess they focused on developing Ward so well they forgot that "Oh yeah, she is supposed to be become a villain".
....well, it's certainly par for the course with the show, REALLY bad writing. All the more reason I don't like it.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
After having finished the show I can sort of understand where the critics were coming from. the first few episodes are easily the weakest part of the series. It picks up later though and stays fairly good throughout. Though honestly the best performances were Ward and his Dad so make of that what you will.

It was kinda weak compared to the other Defender's shows but I still liked it.