Let's talk American football, specifically your favorite and least favorite team(s)

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
It's football season, and I'm pumped. I was just wondering what my fellow Escapists favorite/least favorite teams are.

My favorite team is the New England Patriots, ever since I was a kid and saw how well they played I was hooked. I hope they have a good season, even though they lost to the Dolphins.

Now, my least favorite team is the Dallas Cowboys. I just...despise them and Tony Romo.

Anyways how about you guys? And please no "hurr durr handegg" or "American Football is stupid" jokes or comments. I know how the internet gets around American Football.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Born and raised in Atlanta, so I'm a die-hard Falcons fan and always will be, even though they are an insanely frustrating team to root for (like all Atlanta teams, they love to make it to the playoffs and then implode).

Least favorite team is obvious: The Saints. I pretty much have to hate them because of the rivalry, but what I despise about them is that no one gave a crap about them until Katrina and the Super Bowl, and now a bunch of people act like they were Saint's fans all their lives, and seem to believe that having 1 Super Bowl ring constitutes some sort of dynasty.

Team that I don't like only because of their fanbase: The Steelers. For some reason, Steelers fans are everywhere in the US, and I think maybe 20% of them have actually been to Pittsburgh. They love to talk about how classy and upright their players are, while a guy who was accused TWICE of sexual assault is their QB. Then on the flip side they talk about how "gritty and blue collar" the Steelers fans are, which is really just a nice way of saying fans get drunk and fight a lot during games.

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
Favorite team? I have Bears shirts, pants, socks, posters, towels, hats, tablecloths, clocks, calenders, and toothbrushes. I wonder?

Least favorite? Bears fan, so I obviously despise the Packers. Also not a fan of the Seahawks, but that's mostly because of their obnoxious fans and their obnoxious mascot Richard Sherman.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I hate myself so obviously I am a Minnesota Vikings fan (I have a $20 bet in Vegas for the Vikings to win the NFC North; 10-1 odds! Easy money!!!)

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. We've gotten to the Superbowl (though even that was forever ago) multiple times but have never actually won it. We got pretty damn close in 2010 when it seemed we were unstoppable with Favre throwing and AP running but then my least favorite team...

If you paid attention to football in 2010, you know who my least favorite team is (besides the Packers of course); The Saints. Cheating bastards. 2010 was our year until The Saints decided that they should lay a bunch of late hits on our QB because who needs sportsmanship and pride when you have a couple grand to earn?

Oct 30, 2010
Favorite team: Whatever laundry Peyton is wearing. I do have some residual fandom for the Colts after rooting for them for several years.

Least favorite team: Whatever laundry Tom Brady is wearing.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Favorite Teams: I like the Minnesota Vikings(home state) and the Detroit Lions. I've grown up with the Vikings and Have watched them screw up and get screwed multiple times, but the pain has been eased now that we have guys like Peterson and Patterson.

I like the Lions because I thought their logo and colors were cool when I was a little kid, and I still remember Barry Sanders and his ability to win games by himself.

Least Favorite: I like the Vikings, so Packers fans are a natural enemy. They're assholes whether they win or lose. I also hate the Saints for the bullshit they got away with squaring off against the Vikes a few years back. Referees were definitely favoring one side over the other if you know what I mean.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
You...

tippy2k2 said:
And you...

w9496 said:
FUCK YEAH, VIKINGS! :D

I recently found out that there's a sports bar near my house that are Vikings fans, and so next week my dad and I are gonna watch the game there. Drink beer and watch them win/lose while we cheer/cry in our beer.

As for least favorite: Packers. Fuck 'em. Watching them lose on their opener badly was just the greatest, and even watching Rogers pout was just awesome.

Dat salt. :D

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
dolphins fan here going on about 6 years riding high at the moment although that's likely to change over the next couple of months. there my home team so i have to root for them if i had to chose another city to cheer for it would be the lions because they find such creative ways to lose (im only partially kidding).

least favorite team is usually the jets, how do you suck so much and still be cocky at the same time. if i had to choose a team outside the division it would be San Fran or Pittsburgh you've had enough success already give someone else a turn.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
My dad has had season tickets for the Ravens since their inaugural season, so I'm a Ravens fan through and through (course it also didn't hurt that Baltimore happened to have had the only baseball team at the time so that probably made it a lot easier too).

Least favorites: Steelers and Browns for obvious reasons, anything Philly ever, the Pats, Colts (for slightly less obvious reasons), and Denver and Seattle. Mostly just the fans in Seattle though.

Jeez, I don't like too many teams, do I?

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
Been a Seahawks fan my whole life. Had sweet Steve Largent and Kenny Easley posters on my wall. I was in a military family so no matter where I lived I was always that weird kid who got made fun of for rockin the Seahawks Starter jacket. My mom and I went to pretty much every game including playoffs between 03-09. I willingly went to every game during the Jim Mora Jr. lost season.(I might hate myself.) I was at the game when Marshawn Lynch destroyed the Saints. It's a bummer that the new Hawks fans are crazy stupid and obnoxious but whatever, it happens to every fanbase that wins the SB.

I dislike the Bears and the Rams from when my family was stationed in So. Illinois. I'm supposed to hate the Niners but all I can think of when I look at that logo is Alex Smith sucking and it's like the football equivalent of imagining a group of people in their underwear.

I don't hate teams I mostly hate players.

Dec 10, 2012
As a lifetime Southeast Michigan native I have to admit to being a perennial Lions fan. However, I am the realistic kind, not the hopeful kind. With the Lions being literally the least-successful team in NFL history (they have not won a national championship since before there was a Superbowl, and have won 1 playoff game in my lifetime), I am constantly shocked at how many Lions fans insist, year after year, that their team is poised to make a playoff run. I mean, when the Lions went 0-16 a few years ago, there were people on the local sports talk radio claiming that they were going to win a wildcard the very next season. It's mind boggling, but it's also endearing in a way.

I don't know if I have a least favorite team. Being as much a fan of football in general as I am of my local team, I am happy to watch anyone play. I guess I have to say I don't like the Green Bay Packers much, as they are the rival team with the most consistent success and fame.

Ihateregistering1 said:
Team that I don't like only because of their fanbase: The Steelers. For some reason, Steelers fans are everywhere in the US, and I think maybe 20% of them have actually been to Pittsburgh.
Interesting side note: The reason the Steelers have fans all around the country is because they were a very successful team in the 1970's, right around the same time when the Pennsylvania steel industry crashed. Tens of thousands of laid-off steel workers and their families had to leave Pittsburg to find work, but carried their fandom with them. To this day, the Steelers have more non-local fans than probably any other pro sports team.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Kenbo Slice said:
It's football season, and I'm pumped. I was just wondering what my fellow Escapists favorite/least favorite teams are.

My favorite team is the New England Patriots, ever since I was a kid and saw how well they played I was hooked. I hope they have a good season, even though they lost to the Dolphins.

Now, my least favorite team is the Dallas Cowboys. I just...despise them and Tony Romo.

Anyways how about you guys? And please no "hurr durr handegg" or "American Football is stupid" jokes or comments. I know how the internet gets around American Football.
My team has always been The Dallas Cowboys. I have been such a huge fan, that my nickname at work is actually "Cowboy"! I was severely spoiled by the greatest running back of all time, Emmitt Smith. Troy Aikman, and Michael Irvin didnt help, either, lol...

So now, after letting DeMarcus Ware go, I have decided that I am going to do other things, instead of watching them play. I am not a fairweather fan, dont anyone dare assume that... but watching them play lately, in my opinion, is pretty much equivalent to spreading my legs and letting someone get a few good kicks to my groin. I have watched them beat teams over the last few years, and turn around and give them the game back in the last 10 minutes of the fourth quarter so much, that I cannot stand the stress of watching them play anymore, for now. I need SOME frakking hope, at least. Please, Dallas Cowboy gods... get rid of Tony Romo and make Jerry Jones stop meddling? /sobs

The teams I despise are The Eagles, The 49ers (although not so much anymore, thats just from the old rivalry days in the '90s), and of course, The Redskins. Dallas fans ALWAYS have to hate the Redskins. :) So, I guess the Eagles are my most despised. Bunch of jackholes, they are. ;)

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
You...

tippy2k2 said:
And you...

w9496 said:
FUCK YEAH, VIKINGS! :D

I recently found out that there's a sports bar near my house that are Vikings fans, and so next week my dad and I are gonna watch the game there. Drink beer and watch them win/lose while we cheer/cry in our beer.

As for least favorite: Packers. Fuck 'em. Watching them lose on their opener badly was just the greatest, and even watching Rogers pout was just awesome.

Dat salt. :D
YEAH, VIKINGS!

As a non-american (Swedish) I didn't really become a football fan until a few years ago. Started playing when I was 18 in 2001, and even though I loved playing it I just couldn't watch it, I was more interested in hockey at the time. But in early 2009 I started getting interested again and when the season started I watched every game with the Vikings (missed the opener against Cleveland).

Oh, and as for why the Vikings? When I was around 10-12 years old I had some NFL game for the SNES. I didn't really understand it, but still had some fun with it. One day when I was looking through the teams Minnesota popped up on the screen and my dad saw it and said "did you know that they're called the Vikings because of all the Swedes that moved there?" Well, I didn't, but they got their name from my fellow countrymen? Couldn't really root for any other team, could I?

As for least favorite team... huh, I don't really have one.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Haven't watched football in 14 years but if the Buffalo Bills are playing the Carolina Panthers I always cheer for the bills since they're my hometown team even though I live in North Carolina. When I was 10 years old my family moved to the south so since I couldn't watch the bills anymore I lost interest.

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
Despite living in Michigan, I am a diehard Colts fan. Also, because it is where Peyton Manning is now, I also quite like the Broncos.

Least favorite? Pats. Belicheck is Satan, Brady is a douchenozzle, and also it's just fun to hate them.

Regarding the Lions, I don't hate them, but I love making fun of them and their fans. It's always so enjoyable to watch their optimism slowly turn to jaded cynicism over the course of a season.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
TheVampwizimp said:
Ihateregistering1 said:
Team that I don't like only because of their fanbase: The Steelers. For some reason, Steelers fans are everywhere in the US, and I think maybe 20% of them have actually been to Pittsburgh.
Interesting side note: The reason the Steelers have fans all around the country is because they were a very successful team in the 1970's, right around the same time when the Pennsylvania steel industry crashed. Tens of thousands of laid-off steel workers and their families had to leave Pittsburg to find work, but carried their fandom with them. To this day, the Steelers have more non-local fans than probably any other pro sports team.
I didn't know that, thanks! But I still hate them :) I think the straw that broke the camel's back was when I went to a friend's wedding, and during the "Introducing for the first time, Mr. and Mrs. __________!" they came out waving "Terrible Towels".

If it hadn't been his wedding night, I would have kicked him square in the balls.

xacto14

I don't like you.
Sep 15, 2009
Patriots since I was little, and the eagles because I live near Philadelphia.

Most disliked? I don't have really one team but I would have to say the cowgirls and the giants.

goldenblack

Sep 11, 2012
Born and raised in Dallas, so... yeah. Good lord though do they make it hard to stay a fan; I'm just barely old enough to remember the 90s dynasty, even in Texas I constantly wonder how my younger peers stay invested when all they know is the joke we've been for this entire millennium. Long since learned to stop expecting anything from this team, and yet they keep finding new and inventive ways on a yearly basis to piss me off. Le sigh. That said, while I understand and concede there are oh so many reasons to hate my Cowboys (Jerry, media overexposure, the many jackasses we've rostered, etc.), I still don't get what people have against Romo.

As for most hated, Eagles, easily, for that fanbase on top of the rivalry. Helps that I did go to college on the east coast and all but one Philly guy I met while there were complete asses.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
My dad often buys season tickets for Raiders games in Oakland, and I usually go with him if I'm not busy on those days.

So I guess you could say I'm a Raiders fan, although I know that the team has seen better days to put it lightly. :/

Still, I really enjoy going to the games with him.