Let's Unbox the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Edition!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Let's Unbox the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Edition!

You could kill a man with the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Edition, but let's see what's inside instead.

Hard to believe it's been 25 years since I first pumped a quarter into a Street Fighter stand-up in the dingy, nameless little arcade behind Stop 'n' Go Subs. Even harder to believe that a quarter-century later, I'm still yammering about Street Fighter. Life is funny sometimes. But never mind that, let's get to unboxing this thing.

Isn't that a glorious box? You could pummel a man into unconsciousness with this box. Even better, you could shout "Hadoubox!" and then throw it at him. Or you could just open it like a normal person and see what's inside.

[gallery=910]

First up is the official Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Edition Certificate of Authenticity, "signed" by producer Yoshinori Ono, informing all and sundry that this is in fact that real deal. There's also a big, hardcover art book that will look impressive on anybody's coffee table, more soundtrack discs than I have fingers, an "Anniversary Film Collection" on Blu-ray, and the pièce de résistance, a finely-detailed statue of Ryu - Japanese for "Not As Sexy As Ken" - doing some trampoline jazzercise. It even lights up!

An appropriately black belt ties the whole package together, although not literally - and wearing it does not automatically confer unstoppable martial arts techniques upon anyone. Consider yourselves warned.

Is it impressive? Yes. Is it expensive? Also yes. But if you're a serious Street Fighter fan, how can you say no?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Beautiful looking set.. but it doesn't come with anywhere near all of the game in the series, which is quite disappointing. It's pretty likely that most people who would go out of their way to purchase this collection would already have most of the games that should be included, but it would have been much better to include them all in official versions (even emulated where required) that all ran on the same piece of hardware.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Is it impressive? Yes. Is it expensive? Also yes. But if you're a serious Street Fighter fan, how can you say no?
As a long time Street Fighter fan, I'd say... pretty easy to say 'no'.

I owned every Street Fighter on the PSX, and many of them on the Saturn (including imports) as well as all on the Dreamcast. Always loved the Darkstalkers games and spinoffs like Gem Fighter, CapVSNK, MVC, etc also. I reckon I'm pretty serious.

However, I'm not near silly enough to waste money on this crap. I'd rather spend the money on another game than on some box that's going to sit in my cupboard catching dust.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Wait... does this even come with games?

Besides, which films does it come with? All of them were terrible, except two that were marginally passable, so I really don't see this as a huge selling point. And let's not forget those awful cartoons...

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
For that price I would demand a 1:1 scale bust of Daigo smiling serenely at me. Otherwise, no deal.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Danm, that is beyond awesome! Another item add to things I can never have.

sjt

Nov 17, 2009
I am happy to say that this set is PERFECT for me! I havent bought a SF game other than SF4 since the PSX version of SFA3!

Looks like there are only 30,000 total ON THIS PLANET & ive got 4948!

When i heard it came with an art book, oh it was going to be mine one way or another but that's just how i roll. ^_^

ZakCanard

Anas Charisma
Oct 17, 2007
It figures that Street Fighter gets the love from Capcom and their other much loved franchise with a 25th anniversary gets a travesty of an iOS game.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Scrythe said:
Wait... does this even come with games?

Besides, which films does it come with? All of them were terrible, except two that were marginally passable, so I really don't see this as a huge selling point. And let's not forget those awful cartoons...
Aye, there are games:

Physical Discs:
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
Street Fighter x Tekken

From the blurb:
"...including all of the costume DLC for SSFIVAE (that?s over 100 costumes!) and for SFxT, the 12 additional character DLC and all available Swap costumes."

Downloadable:

You can also download two of our digital titles, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix and Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition. With all of that, you?ll have something to play for whatever mood you?re in.

PS3 only (from what I heard!):
"the PS3 set includes Street Fighter Alpha, Street Fighter Alpha 2, and Street Fighter Alpha 3 as PSone Classic titles; Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max as a PSP download, all downloadable content for Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition, and lots of avatars (over 170). We are proud to be working with Sony to get this to you."

Then there's some video material on Bluray, and 11 CDs with soundtrack, the ones that got my attention were what seems to be a - professional - 'fan remix' one by DJs (no more info on that, we didn't get around to pop it in yet) and an 'original fan music' one - music inspired by Street Fighter, by the looks of it.

There's plenty of material there, and the guy that got this for himself enjoys it very much. For me, it just plain wouldn't make much sense since I already own pretty much all the Street Fighting goodness I want on carts, discs and CPS-1 and CPS-3 boards. And I really prefer boards to discs.

As for what material is on the Bluray discs:

Disc One

"I Am Street Fighter": 25 Years of Inspiration documentary
Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie (1994)

Disc Two

Street Fighter IV: The Ties That Bind (2009)
Super Street Fighter IV: Original Video Animation
Street Fighter: The Animated Series (1995-1997)