Let's Watch Another Man Of Steel Trailer

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Let's Watch Another Man Of Steel Trailer

MovieBob breaks down the latest Man of Steel trailer shot for shot.

Read Full Article

runnerbelow

Feb 11, 2009
Country
Canada
That was really cool.
I wasn't too excited for this before, but now I really am.

Am I the only one who got a Sting as Feyd-Rautha vibe from Michael Shannon's "I will find him!"?

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
I was pretty skeptical for this movie initially, now I'm on board. We did dark and gritty with Batman, we have our fun with the Marvel movies, I'm down for a little positive superhero action. Call it lame, but what I really took from the trailer was that the movie is trying to be uplifting without pandering. That's a tricky line to walk, but it's Superman! If there is any story/character outside of an actual religious character he's the guy.

Pulling it all off is another thing, but I'm in.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
We all know that eventually they're going to have to bring Lex Luthor into this and I'm super (hurr) glad they decided not to focus on him as the primary villain this time around.

The trailer has built up this messianic figure for Superman quite a bit and I like that. Mainly because it gives me hope that when we finally do see Luthor it's going to have some of my favorite characterizations mixed in. Specifically that he views Superman as a limiting factor to human potential, that he's removed the necessity that is the mother of invention and that the more we rely on him, the less we rely on ourselves...this of course eventually gives way to the slightly less noble super villainy that he's well known for.

That's a lot of speculation of course. For now I'm just pretty impressed that they seem to have made a pretty solid Superman movie that doesn't shy away from the inherent outlandishness of the DC universe. That's going to be very important in building up the cinematic universe for the JLA if they hope to pull that off.

Because let's face it, if Thor was the hardest part of building up a believable Avengers it's not going to be any easier building a team made up almost entirely of Thors.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
I'm pretty sure thanks to that big "I WILL FIND HIM!" the planet drill is only a means to an end. That end being to get Superman to show his face.
Especially with the whole General Zod viral campaign.

'To Kal-El, I say this: surrender within 24 hours, or watch this world suffer the consequences'

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Bob, no one but you cares about them explaining the S. Let it go.

Anyway, looks like this is going in the right direction. I like how they're concentrating more on the character of Superman in the marketing rather than bombarding us with action set pieces. Snyder was a good choice for director, plus it looks like his worst habits have been held back. Definitely the one I'm looking forward to this summer.

P.S. I find it funny how Cavill is currently dating Gina Carano as she was Bob's first pick for playing Wonder Woman

Jan 12, 2012
Froggy Slayer said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I'm pretty sure thanks to that big "I WILL FIND HIM!" the planet drill is only a means to an end. That end being to get Superman to show his face.
Especially with the whole General Zod viral campaign.

'To Kal-El, I say this: surrender within 24 hours, or watch this world suffer the consequences'
Damn. I was hoping it was, "I can't find him on the surface, Superman must be hiding with the Mole People. Dig, my brothers!"

OT: Cavill looks like he will do well, but I don't like the CG cape/suit. I get that it's supposed to be more dramatic, but it seems phony.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I hope this succeeds.

But, after Superman returns got a mostly positive reception, took $200 million and still wasn't good enough for a sequel, I'm not sure this one won't suffer the same fate however the public react to it.

I mean, it took more money than Batman Begins did, but was still perceived to be a failure, I dearly hope that if this one is good it doesn't fall foul of the same general perception than a Superman movie can't succeed.

csoloist

Mar 27, 2009
Meh. Looks a bit crap (maybe that's just the Crowe factor), but hoping it does well. If Supes tanks WB will almost certainly can the Justice League movie - and that *is* something I'm keen to see.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm pretty certain what Jor-El says at around 0:20 is not "No. He'll be a god to them" but "How? He'll be a god to them".

Bbleds

Sep 6, 2011
I don't know why I am so unsure about this movie? Don't get me wrong, I want this movie to be epically awesome and have a slight hope that maybe it can capture just a bit of that nostalgic awe I got when I was a kid watching the original movies. Similar to what Bob was saying, there are so many aspects this movie seems to be going for that focus on the wrong ones could potentially ruin it. I really don't want to see too much: Nolan and Goyer'esqe brooding, fighting military, unnecessary explanations, or long monologues/exposition. And what I mentioned is there and it can be great(ex. Joker's monologues), but it can also bring down a movie quite a bit (ex. almost everyone's speech in Dark Knight Rises). Main point is I hope the balance is good and this team is very capable, lets just hope they have their best foot forward for it.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
You or I would be all "Why the hell wouldn't I wear a cape?", Superman is kind of above it all with a "I just like the cape".

This movie could still go either way, I just hope the imagination hasn't fizzed out for the guys behind this.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I would be more excited if I didn't have this irrational hatred for Superman. I just really really don't like Superman. I think it comes from that he seems to be what you'd get if you stuck Goku into the Avatar: the Last Airbender Universe. Ya there some guys with cool super powers, and some cool guys without super powers, but SS Goku will make even Ang look like gofer vs a rottweiler.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Tentacle monster is probably just a pet Zod has to sick on Superman. Basically, it's going to be a 'Superman wrassling a polar bear' moment.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I think the route they're going for is that the Superman costume is either based on or just is normal Kryptonian wear, right? At least his dad was wearing a cape in the beginning. In that case all that "unnecessary" texturing and detailing is just to make it fit in with that rather than just having him you know, wear a cape and tights for some reason.

On that note that scene with the kid confuses me a bit, at least if it's supposed to be Clark. Presumably the world of the films is one where Superheroes don't exist, so how would a kid know to play hero by wearing a cape? If it's some kid pretending to be Superman after his reveal to show his influence on everybody, then it's all good.

EDIT: Also does Bob mean Matrix Revolutions? Matrix Reloaded was pretty one sided throughout the whole movie as far as super beings in action was concerned.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
"Whose got you!?" tsk tsk... "who's"?

Aside from that, great breakdown. Totally agree on Costner. I loved him in Mr. Brooks and I've been going through his movies in recent months. He's great at saying a thousand words with just a single look.