Let's Watch Another Man Of Steel Trailer

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Nice breakdown. It still kind of blows my mind that there are people in these comments saying the movie looks bad or like crap. I have to wonder what they would be interested in seeing in a Superman movies, or at least in a trailer for a Superman movie.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
I quite like these "let's watch" things, now if only we can convince good sir MovieBob to do another... preferably for an awful trailer for an awful film, I think that could be quite fun :)

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
I've never really been that into Superman, but I do like the look of this trailer. Colour me intrigued.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Mildly optimistic, but more expectant that it'll Green Lantern redux though.

Never liked a single Zach Snyder or Nolan film, period.

Madman Muntz

Apr 16, 2013
"My son was in the bus. He saw what Clark did."

She's not impressed. She's accusatory. Even if he was helpful, if a genuinely superior being - a god, if you like - showed up among us, humanity wouldn't welcome him. We'd be jealous. We'd be afraid. We'd try to stop him, control him, checkmate him in some way. From the start, I suspected this would be the main thrust of Nolan/Goyer/Snyder's new take on the character, and I seem to have called it correctly.

Great article but I'm calling bullshit on this one statement. Sorry but seeing how many useless and undeserving celebrities people slavishly worship on a daily basis, someone with actual super powers would find a following of epic proportions, because a large percentage of people would be falling all over themselves to kiss his/her boots.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Im with ya on the underwear, bob, but i'm totally not on the S-cape and the texturing.

itchcrotch said:
Here's what I wanna know Bob, which way are they gonna go with the origin of his powers? I was always kinda confused about that. Are all Kyptonians supermen? Cuz in the carnations where that seems to be the case, what we see of Kryptonian society doesn't seem to reflect that?
Was he turned into a superman before being blasted off to Earth?
Or then there's that really dumb angle I remember from one of the comics, that Superman can fly because the gravity on Earth is less than Krypton...
I was tempted not to comment because theres probably people out there who actually, you know, read superman. I never really did, other than a few old issues of this and that.

Superman has been around since the 50s or so, and his powers have varied wildly during that time. The current concept (im aware of) is that its the yellow light of Sol that puts him head and shoulders above all others. I also note that his big normalizing weakness, kryptonite, is fragments of the planet on which he was born, so one might expect kryptonians would be similarly normalized simply by standing upon their home planet.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
itchcrotch said:
Here's what I wanna know Bob, which way are they gonna go with the origin of his powers? I was always kinda confused about that. Are all Kyptonians supermen? Cuz in the carnations where that seems to be the case, what we see of Kryptonian society doesn't seem to reflect that?
Was he turned into a superman before being blasted off to Earth?
Or then there's that really dumb angle I remember from one of the comics, that Superman can fly because the gravity on Earth is less than Krypton...
They've changed the way Kryptonians "work" plenty over the last 75 years (multiple really, really old stories show Krypton as a planet where everyone had Superman's powers), but for the last several decades DC's go-to "canon" explanation is that it's about how their bodies react to and/or process solar radiation. Krypton was a much older planet with a red sun, and under long-term exposure to a red sun's light they are no different physiologically from humans. Earth's MUCH younger sun is yellow, and absorbing that kind of radiation "supercharges" Kryptonians' already-existing traits: Denser/stronger bones and muscles, improved healing, eyes so strong they can see through walls and focus energy into a destructive beam, superhuman senses of touch, taste, smell, sight, hearing etc, a personal "energy field" that enables flight and (sometimes) mental strength to the point of psychic abilities.

From the mid-80s on, the "Superman is solar-powered" thing has been made more explicit and specific: He's been depicted bringing himself back from the brink of death by draining an entire rainforest's worth of plant life of it's stored photosynthetic sun-energy and spending long periods of time INSIDE the sun itself to become even stronger. This is also usually the handwave for how Kryptonite "works," i.e. it's pieces of the exploded Krypton that are A.) already charged with red-sun radiation that takes some (or all) the "super" out of super-human Kryptonians and B.) evidences other effects (like how the power-reduction also physically HARMS Superman most of the time) brought on by the mineral fragments travel through outer space.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I liked the Reeve superman as he would fight people equal to his strength. If your super strong, then we want to see that in the fights. Its why Superman Returns sucked.....well one of the many reasons it sucked. This new movies looks great and hopefully we will get a sequel with one of Supermans more interesting enemies. :)

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Madman Muntz said:

She's not impressed. She's accusatory. Even if he was helpful, if a genuinely superior being - a god, if you like - showed up among us, humanity wouldn't welcome him. We'd be jealous. We'd be afraid. We'd try to stop him, control him, checkmate him in some way. From the start, I suspected this would be the main thrust of Nolan/Goyer/Snyder's new take on the character, and I seem to have called it correctly.

Great article but I'm calling bullshit on this one statement. Sorry but seeing how many useless and undeserving celebrities people slavishly worship on a daily basis, someone with actual super powers would find a following of epic proportions, because a large percentage of people would be falling all over themselves to kiss his/her boots.
To disagree there -

If you notice we hold celebrities to impossible standards. Do anything a normal kid does - get caught smoking pot, have your first drunk driving scenario, write something stupid in a sign-in book - and they get called out for it 1000-fold. Once you're on a pedestal, you can't mess up.

Sphinx86

Apr 15, 2009
I'm actually looking forward to this movie now. Haven't heard to much apart from these breakdowns, but this trailer does look cool.

Diddy_Mao said:
We all know that eventually they're going to have to bring Lex Luthor into this and I'm super (hurr) glad they decided not to focus on him as the primary villain this time around.
Well it makes sense that if you spend 30% of a movie setting your main character then you can't spend too much time setting up the bad guy, so why waste the good/main one. I believe thats why Nolan left the Joker until the second Batman movie, and I figure as producer making the 'No, don't use Lex in this movie' call is within his powers.

Wuvlycuddles said:
I quite like these "let's watch" things, now if only we can convince good sir MovieBob to do another... preferably for an awful trailer for an awful film, I think that could be quite fun :)
Yes please.

BlackWolf100

Oct 15, 2010
I like how you say about best way to relate to superman is basically show fun in the character and his powers. More mediums should learn to do that more often.

Well written article Sir Bob.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
after seeing the recent trailers I'll admit I'm super excited to see this film lol

also the CGI cape actually sounds like a real good idea. Utilizes modern technology while actually assisting the actor's performance. Not exactly the digital Green Lantern suit :p

also: "No... He will be a God to them." <--yes, very very awesome

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
wait did he mean the last fight in Matrix?Revolutions? cuz from what I recall Reloaded ended with Neo holding his hand out to stop some Sentinels lol

tho say what you want about the Matrix sequels, they had some sweet action scenes...well Reloaded did anyway :/

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
Madman Muntz said:

Regular celebrities doesn't have enough power to pick up Manhattan and throw it on top of Washington DC. Some people might see him as a God and worship him but most would probably be jealous of someone that much more powerful than they are, and they would be right to have a heathy bit of fear of someone who could do whatever the hell he wants and no one would be able to stop him.