Let's Watch The Man Of Steel Trailer

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Random shot of shoreline rocks. The most common "pithy" observation about this trailer you'll hear from movie-persons about the style in place here will be "it looks like Terrence Mallick made a superhero movie!" This is a Terrence Mallick movie. We should be so lucky.
Well, in another escapist thread I said "it looks like Snyder took some cues from Terrence Mallick." While this will fall short of Mallick's work, I also think this just might be Snyder's attempt at maturing as a film maker, and I can think of many, many worse people to rip off from than Mallick. Heck, if I ever made a movie, I would be ripping off from him left and right.

Moreover, after the failure of "Sucker Punch," Snyder might indeed be humbled and looking to mature as an artist. If this is true, then this could be a truly great movie.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
krellen said:
MovieBob said:
Getting a sinking feeling that whatever this thing is, it will also turn out to be the thing that destroyed Krypton ... and that said destruction will turn out to have been a deliberate act of villainy, which would be another instance of missing the point of the story.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm of the understanding that the destruction of Krypton in the comics is a deliberate act of villainy - specifically, the act of Brainiac, doing what Brainiac does. Is that not the case?
What caused the destruction of Krypton changes every couple years in the comics. Kinda annoying, really. At first it was just natural causes that destroyed Krypton. In the animated series, Brainiac didn't cause it, but he was the reason nobody believed Jor-El when he said the planet was doomed. But yeah, before the New 52 reboot, Brainiac was what caused it. No word on what caused it post-Flashpoint, I think. Haven't really kept up with the New 52.
In the nu52, the cause of Krypton's destruction was shown in Superman #0, discovered by Jor-El to be the planet itself rotting at the core. What caused THAT to happen, I think, will be a mystery revealed throughout the Superman family of books (Action Comics, Superman, Supergirl, and Superboy).

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Kwil said:
Devin Barker said:
movie looks fine, but i just cant seem to give a crap about the villain... am i the only one who is just over Zod stories? i feel like this is a throw away villain... lets have superman fight... evil... superman... again... bleh
What else is he gonna fight then? Remember, Superman in a straight up brawl with Just About Anyone = Known Outcome. That's why Lex was always involved in these massive, grandiose schemes -- so that simply pummeling him wouldn't solve it.

OT: I *like* the bearded look for Supes. Plus it answers one of the questions for me, how does an invulnerable person shave?
superman uses a kryptonian crystal to reflect his heat vision back onto his face, essentially burning the stubble off.
and since he is superman he could probably just shave by pulling the hair from his skin, he should be able to do this.

i just hope we will not see a razor when i looses the beard in the movie(unless it's magic, that could work)

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Kwil said:
OT: I *like* the bearded look for Supes. Plus it answers one of the questions for me, how does an invulnerable person shave?
teebeeohh said:
superman uses a kryptonian crystal to reflect his heat vision back onto his face, essentially burning the stubble off.
and since he is superman he could probably just shave by pulling the hair from his skin, he should be able to do this.

i just hope we will not see a razor when i looses the beard in the movie(unless it's magic, that could work)
I always liked the idea of him using his heat vision. That was the case in Superman: TAS and I would be disappointed with any other solution.

(Related scene at beginning of video.)

mrjoe94

Sep 28, 2009
While Superman is incredibly far down the list in terms of my favorite superheroes, this movie looks pretty awesome. While I feel that Zod is a bit overused, he's also the easiest to do. Would I have liked to see Darkseid? Yes, definitely (especially if he's voiced by Michael Ironside) but it may be too difficult to do without a long backstory segment that'd be far longer than a Zod segment.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
2:17 -2:19

Superman comes back after taking 8 years off to dipshit around his mansion...

Oh wait, that will be the 3rd movie once Snider does what he does and Nolan takes over...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I am not gonna lie. I am ridiculously excited about this movie. This, to me, seems like the reboot that was always necessary for Superman movies to succeed beyond what they were.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I had some issues with the trailer when I first saw it, but now that I have watched it a couple of times my only concern is the tone of the movie and might give it a chance at the theaters if I have time. I just hope that Pa Kent will get put in his place by Clark with the thought of letting the students die.

The reason why I think they are going for General Zod in this movie is two-fold one they wanted a villain that there is some knowledge in the public already, really I was expecting either General Zod or Lex Luthor when the movie was announced. The other reason is that they might be able to streamline the back story for they can combine the two characters back story into a smaller amount of time then trying to have two unrelated back stories.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
Let's Watch The Man Of Steel Trailer

MovieBob breaks down the new Man of Steel trailer frame by frame.

Read Full Article
The reason for the costume ridges, other than "because we now can, in the days of HD," is probably due to the shift toward realism. We need to convey that this fabric is no longer just plain ol' polyblend. I'd imagine Supes learns his lesson during the fire rescue scene, "Damn! My costume isn't as indestructible as I am," and begins working with a fabric that is on-par with his usual daily regimen of fire and supersonic flight.

The old way of conveying this? Explaining that he made his suit out of a Kryptonian polyblend. The new way? Make it look like higher-tech fabric by adding ridges, plating, and other surface articulations.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
That, and I think designers feel it looks more "modern" and "flashy" than your typical established costumes.
To be fair, they often do look better, HD or no.

Noelveiga said:
I am mildly annoyed by the change in tone in Bob's reactions to this (a gritty reboot of a superhero movie that came out 6 years ago) compared to Amazing Spider-Man (a gritty reboot of a superhero franchise that had ended 5 years before). Not only is the visual change pretty much spot-on here, but this is actually designed to be a brighter, more colourful superhero's Batman Begins, something that Bob called out so hard then.
It's part of Bob's MO. In fact, it seems to be a larger issue with critics in general. I hate (X), unless it's in something that tickles my fancy.

Bob is also annoyed with them messing with canon, though canon changes faster than most of us change our underwear and he even acknowledges canon changes (specifically, that he would like to see hints of the tinkerer Superman from the Golden Age, though that hasn't really been an aspect of Superman since).

For the record, my only big problem with this film so far is that Zack Snyder is directing it. Snyder is a bad director that has never put together a good movie. I like seeing him abandon his super-stylized videogame cutscene look (pity he directed Watchmen before that got knocked into his head post-Sucker Punch), but that's not the only thing he doesn't have a great grasp of. I'll give this a look. Spider-Man also turned out better than it seemed it should, and maybe the absolute lack of humour, sense of adventure or whimsy here is just an by-product of marketing. We'll see.[/quote]

Agreed on Snyder. He's just terrible.

SpiderJerusalem said:
The only thing that can really go wrong here is Zach Snyder. The man has no style to speak of and his films so far have all taken decent (Dawn of the Dead) or great (Watchmen) material and completely and utterly ruined it with his misogynistic and fascist attitudes. The only stuff he was suited for (300) was nearly unwatchable frat boy hogwash. Superman deserves a more mature director.
I always sort of wanted to see Superman go through a rough patch while coming to terms with how his powers make him different.

A dudebro Superman would be interesting. It's a shame we're getting a dudebro director instead.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I'm starting to really warm up to the costume. It's the details on the arms that sell me and how much the cape flaps. It looks more like Alien clothing too which might be their angle.

Sanunes said:
I just hope that Pa Kent will get put in his place by Clark with the thought of letting the students die.
A lot of people are focused on this but I think we're viewing it out of context. The tone and posture Costner adopts for this line implies he's uneasy with what he's saying. It's the conflict between protecting ones own family and doing what's right. Who knows he might follow it up with a "but that's not how we raised you" or something like that.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
No Lex Luthor stealing 40 cakes? Boo!

What about Grodd? "As the smartest gorilla in the world, I am incapable of anything else!"

The usual humourless Zack Snyder schtick.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
Snyder is a solid director. Dawn was good and 300 was a lot of fun so hopefully with this fantastic cast the film will work out.

TheMadJayWoman

Apr 24, 2009
Had not realized until now that Michael Shannon is playing Zod. I think I'm more excited about his casting than I am about Cavill's...

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
I am just worried that, because it is directed by Zack Snyder, half the movie will be in slow-motion.

I do NOT like Zack Snyder or any of his movies (Watchmen was his best but I only really like the first 15 minutes...then it gets 'meh'). I have to say, the opening fight scene and credits montage in Watchmen was one of the best starts to a movie I have ever seen!

He uses too much slow-mo to the point where it's boring to watch. I have unnecessary slow-motion (see Transformers 2 and 3 for examples of 'unnecessary slow-motion'). Slow-motion is out-dated anyway. It was 'cool' in the Matrix and early 2000's cos it was 'new' but now it's just silly and annoying.

Domogo

Aug 7, 2012
Noelveiga said:
I'm pretty sure it's because directors want to be able to do close ups on these things.

Also, heavily textured fabrics are easier to CG match than straight up spandex, believe it or not. The matte, flat surface of a taut fabric, the fact that it wrinkles when it moves... that stuff is like skin, hard to match accurately. These suits look CG in normal photography already, so they work better with the effects.
Well thank you for injecting some much not needed realism into the conversation haha
I still like my reason better

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Yeah, like this wasn't predictable. Bob's favoritism is showing. Boring trailer has two interesting scenes, and Bob goes and gets his gasm on for it. Honestly, did anyone not see that coming? If it were most anything else with a trailer like that, Bob wouldn't even bother with a scene-by-scene, it would just be another mediocre trailer. Hell, judging by the similarities between this and the Amazing Spider-Man trailer, he could at least try to hide his blatancy a little bit. Some one get him a wet-wipe, I'm willing to bet he made a mess scouring the trailer 50 times over.

Actual thought about the trailer: "Wow, this looks like The Amazing Spider Man trailer, but with more Zach Snyder." Secondary thought: You know what Marvel has done amazingly so far? No fucking spandex. Everything looks like something people actually wear. That's something they can freely drop from the comics and I wouldn't mind in the slightest. He looks ridiculous. Man with Super-everything is hated by a species that is, in every way, physically and biologically inferior, but tries to save the because he's space-jesus with freeze breath and laser beams in his eyes. Fighting crime and the villains that arise just to fight him make him dangerous. Want superman to be really effective at saving humanity? Have him do this instead. Boring, but fitting a man who is himself a plot device.

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
I have to admit, I was totally not on board with this movie at all when it was first announced. I've never been a fan of the character and Zack Snyder's involvement and the first teaser image didn't encourage me. That all changed when I saw the first teaser. The cinematography was beautiful and I loved how it reminded me of Kurt Busiek's Superman: Secret Identity (aka The Best Comic of All Time). So I was overjoyed to see that the full trailer keeps the same tone even while introducing the big action scenes and special effects extravaganzas. Superman as he was portrayed in the comics and the previous movies was never interesting to me, but the mythic tone they give him here made me sit up and take notice.

About the "Superman in cuffs" shot- in Secret Identity there's a bit where Superman reluctantly goes to Afghanistan (I think) to help the military attack a Taliban compound. After they win the soldiers want to shoot all of the survivors instead of taking them prisoner but Superman stops them, establishing an uneasy relationship with the military in which he wants to help them protect America but won't tolerate unnecessary violence. The scene always stood out to be because it was published in 2004, when a lot of writers were still foaming at the mouth with post-9/11 self righteousness and portraying American military actions in the middle east as anything other than 100% noble and heroic was pretty rare. The attitude was more "I view the army as an unnecessary evil" rather than "hoo rah Fuck yeah America".

Anyway the reason I'm bringing all this up is because I'm wondering if the bits with the soldiers in this trailer were inspired by Secret Identity and if they were, I hope the movie takes the same attitude rather than descending into hero worship.

Here's the very, very serious trailer for Warner Bros.' new Superman movie
I know Moviebob doesn't respond to comments, but I've seen him make remarks like this before and I'm kind of baffled by it. What is the problem with the movie taking a "serious" tone? What tone should it have instead? Should Superman be cracking jokes in the trailer or something? Why?

If the choice here is between darker movies that take after Nolan's Batman trilogy or relatively lighter superhero movies like The Avengers (and that seems to be how this discussion gets framed) I'll take dark and gritty over Marvel's cinematic candy floss every time. They may not be quote as much fun, but at least I still remember them by the time I get to the cinema parking lot.