Let's Watch Thor: The Dark World's New Trailer

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
BehattedWanderer said:
Beta Ray Bill post credits tease...

Beta Ray Bill post credits tease...

Not as fun having you breakdown the trailers when they aren't laden with tidbits and juicy little comic details, but I'm not gonna complain.
Beta Ray Bill would be awesome to have appear as an ally in a movie. And with Guardians of the Galaxy on the way, it's not outlandish at all. But you could probably do a whole movie on that story arc alone, which I doubt will happen.

schwegburt

Jan 5, 2012
MovieBob said:
If there's a clear dividing line between the Marvel and DC movie universes (so far) it's that the sillier the component of a character or mythos is, the more Marvel wants to shove it to the front of the line.
And this will remain the reason Marvel movies do well and the non-Batman DC movies flounder. Marvel has proven with Captain America and Thor that going "All in" when it comes to preposterous scenarios works better than pussy footing around them and adding dreary angst in place of fun *cough* Man of Steel.

I mean who thought Kenneth "Henry V's Crispin's Day" Branagh would work as the director of a blockbuster super hero movie? But as MovieBob said, taking calculated risks allowed Marvel weave an interconnected universe on the big screen.

Windu23

Aug 6, 2008
That bit about Cap picking up Mjolnir makes me want to see a bit where Thor gets knocked around in a crowd of people and some random passerby hands him his hammer. I remember it happening in the comic, so it would make me happy to see the movie pay some service to the idea that there are mortals who are worthy, too.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Looks. Awesome.

I LOVED Thor, possibly even more than Captain America (although not quite as much as The Avengers), and I've been really looking forward to this one.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I was kind of hoping to get a review of "In a World" along with the expected video review of "Elysium" but this is okay too I guess?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I've been waiting for this since the first Thor movie!
I liked the first one a lot and this seems to be even better.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Capes are silly, they serve no practical purpose beyond giving your enemy (or a chunk of machinery) something with which to hold you in place and drag you around. They're fundamentally silly for a character expected to fight, doubly so when the cape inexplicably survive the whole battle without being a hindrance or damaged.

I guess the silly Marvel/serious DC thing comes because the Marvel movies gleefully jump into the absurdness of super hero comics. When there's exploding fire breathing Guy Pearce running around and armies of space-borg-shapeshifters attacking New York nobody cares about a cape. In the much more po-faced 'realistic' visions on DC's recent films that the capes are both present and never taken (dis)advantage of is jarring when they go to such great lengths to address everything else.
Some characters get a free pass; Superman and Thor are such characters because getting sucked into a jet turbine (apart from being insultingly stupid) isn't likely to harm them. Plus Asgard seems all about the pomp and pageantry.

Behold, my sweet golden eye-patch!

Although the use of capes seems down to the individual; Thor, Odin, Loki and Fandral wear them, but Sif, Hogun and Volstagg do not.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Ruisu said:
How's a cape a silly element again? No, really, how is Thor's red cape silly? Thor doesn't even have an actual "costume", it's a straight on asgardian armor that doesn't even need the kind of "rationalization" some authors use to make with the Superman costume for example.
It's really just annoying when people feel the need to cling on this "Silly Marvel good, Serious DC bad" idea that Bob seems to be an adept of.

Meh..
But anyway, that was a really nice trailer, never though I would be hyped for a Thor movie, since I mostly disliked the first one.
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Thor wear his helmet in the first scene which he was in during the first Thor? Sure, he didn't use it after that, but at least it's in there...swear it was in there.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Capes are silly, they serve no practical purpose beyond giving your enemy (or a chunk of machinery) something with which to hold you in place and drag you around.
'ceptin for Batman and the like, who use it to glide, for misdirection (making himself a bigger target to shoot at, ergo making it more likely they'll miss his squishy body) and to look more badass. Not to be sneered at when half his schtick is looking so fucking weird they assume he's a monster.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Have to admit, as a non-comic book reader I wasn't really impressed by the Thor and Cap movies. They felt like obligatory exposition, which in my mind served only to prepare moviegoers for the Avengers film. In retrospect I wish I had watched The Avengers without seeing Thor or Captain America first, just to see if Avengers story would have stood on its own. Incidentally, there was one moment in The Avengers that had me puzzled:
When Cap and Tony Stark meet, Cap seems to already know about Stark's reputation for being a lone wolf/not a team player. I couldn't recall a moment in either the Iron Man movies or Cap's movie where they had crossed paths. Was that a deleted scene perhaps?

This preview however, looks fairly "serious" to me, and I'm glad they're expanding on Thor's story. Perhaps they'll do a proper Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo as well, but I dread the idea of yet another reboot. Pretty tired of that terminology.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
[Attempted Spoiler] I figure they show us Thor smashing the Kronan in the trailer because it cuts off right before the "Oh shit!" moment of a hundred more walking over the hill.

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
FizzyIzze said:
Have to admit, as a non-comic book reader I wasn't really impressed by the Thor and Cap movies. They felt like obligatory exposition, which in my mind served only to prepare moviegoers for the Avengers film. In retrospect I wish I had watched The Avengers without seeing Thor or Captain America first, just to see if Avengers story would have stood on its own.
Non-comic book reader who saw The Avengers before Captain America (I did see Thor first, but thought it was dreadful and couldn't really remember any of it)-- it stood on its own really well for me and actually got me interested in the rest of the series. I then went back and watched Cap and Iron Man's movies and loved those too. I knew literally nothing about any of these characters and was surprised how much I enjoyed all of it. Even re-watched Thor recently and found it more palatable now that I've got The Avengers under my belt.

I just wish they could do "duo" movies instead of just team or just individuals. I'd dearly love to see a Ruffalo Hulk movie, but it just wouldn't be the same if Tony Stark wasn't in it at all, their dynamic was the best part of the movie!

vid87

May 17, 2010
The only reason I can accept Jane biting it is because casting Portman in this franchise has put a weird strain on everything - she costs too much and constantly shuttling her out when Avengers rolls around to avoid the expense would be ridiculous. Hopefully it will be dramatic yet tasteful.