LGBT Community calls the Salvation Army Bigots

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Kingsman said:
Well, about the Hitler comparison that's the second or third ill-informed, inflammatory and abusive post I've seen by that user over the past few days, so I wouldn't worry about it.

OT: The Sally Army do some pretty solid work, and don't seem to discriminate in thir administration of aid...so I guess if you don't like it donate to a different charity?

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
thiosk said:
Also, I don't think the LGBT community came together with a unified voice and called the salvation army bigots. Its probably just a few blokes.
As a gay man, I apparently stand for the entire LGBT community when I say "this".

Reminds me of "White Privilege: Unpacking the knapsack".

Grey_Wolf_Leader

Feb 13, 2011
Christians have never argued that anyone with homosexual inclinations do not have the same rights as anyone else. Its just that no one (even heterosexually-attracted people) has the inalienable right to pick and choose his/her marital partner from an unlimited pool. In some societies, marriages are still arranged by the parents of the partners so that every involved party is taken into consideration. In ours, you can't marry someone under legal age, who cannot give consent, or who is of the same gender.

The underlying point here is that legitimate marriages must be authorized by a higher authority who has final say in the matter, whether that authority is the state or God himself. That is all Christians have ever believed in when it comes to "gay" rights. "Equality of Law" means you get no extra-special exception just because you're different.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
thiosk said:
Also, I don't think the LGBT community came together with a unified voice and called the salvation army bigots. Its probably just a few blokes.
God, I hope so. I know that the true opinions of many are unheard from silent mouths while the loudest claim to represent them, but some days, I really, REALLY wonder.[/quote]

I think the real logical question is: if there is an LGBT community, what are its geographical coordinates? There are groups that claim to represent the LGBT and they issue press releases. But there is no physical entity that actually represents them all with offices, a president, and a central headquarters. Its lots of groups and associations.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Grey_Wolf_Leader said:
Christians have never argued that anyone with homosexual inclinations do not have the same rights as anyone else. Its just that no one (even heterosexually-attracted people) has the inalienable right to pick and choose his/her marital partner from an unlimited pool. In some societies, marriages are still arranged by the parents of the partners so that every involved party is taken into consideration. In ours, you can't marry someone under legal age, who cannot give consent, or who is of the same gender.

The underlying point here is that legitimate marriages must be authorized by a higher authority who has final say in the matter, whether that authority is the state or God himself. That is all Christians have ever believed in when it comes to "gay" rights. "Equality of Law" means you get no extra-special exception just because you're different.
That's actually a good way of putting it

OT: I still give money to them.

Blablahb said:
Yes, and the nazis helped Germany out of a deep economic crisis, so they were also good guys? Give me a break.
You are aware, my friend, that comparing someone to Hitler and the Nazis is pretty much a instant "You lose" button, correct? Try doing that in any real life debate. Doesn't fly, my friend.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
This just in: LGBT note that acceptance in the community has reached a widespread level, decides to torpedo their image for Draaaaamaaaaaa!

True story.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Volf99 said:
"The Salvation Army has a history of active discrimination against gays and lesbians."
Aaaaaand THAT is where they lost their credibility on the matter. Really, I think these people would be hard-pressed to find ANY organization that's existed for more than 100 years that HASN'T at some time had some negative inclinations toward homosexuality. Honestly, it has only become uncouth to publicly discriminate against gays in the last 50 years (and really mostly the last 30 years).

And I say "these people" because I am certain this isn't the entire LBGT community. I'm guessing this is just the equivalent of PETA or the WBC in the homosexual community.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
if they are going to follow the one anti-homosexual bible verse, they should follow the rest of the bible as well.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
Their response seemed reasonable, I mean if you had to completly ideologicaly agree with every charity it would be rather difficult to find the right one for you, it seems people are makeing a mountain out of a molehill.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
thiosk said:
Just like the radical religious right perceives a homosexual agenda with the intent to subvert and to dominate the world, the radical homosexual left perceives a christian agenda with the intent to subvert and to dominate the world.
I, too am a fan of the false equivalence fallacy.

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
This is a bit stupid because I really don't think Salvation Army employees would extend a fistful of dollars to a homeless person only to yank it back from their outstretched hand and say "Ah! Are you gay or bisexual?" and if the person says yes they put the money back in their bucket and so "Oh dear...tsk tsk tsk..." and walk away to the next homeless person.

I understand the Salvation Army church may have certain views but if you're going to be such a general charity as they you really can't impress your views on those you help or else your number of supporters would dwindle.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
coolkirb said:
Their response seemed reasonable, I mean if you had to completly ideologicaly agree with every charity it would be rather difficult to find the right one for you, it seems people are makeing a mountain out of a molehill.
I fully agree with this statement right here. Forgive my ignorance, but do most people heavily research every.single.stance. that the charities that they donate to?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Being a member of a Salvation Army congregation, I call bullshit. Sure, the church frowns on Gay or Lesbian lifestyles according to the theology but the service it provides outside of the temple is meant for everyone who has fallen on hard times. While the older officers may be more conservative in their beliefs about the whole Homosexuality issue, most of the younger members of my church community[footnote]Including myself[/footnote] are very liberal. So don't boycott the money that's being sent on missions to Africa to build schoolhouses or provide books or help the poor in local towns over this.

Not all Christians think "GOD HATES FAGS" >.<

PsychoV3nom

Jun 21, 2009
Blablahb said:
I never donated to them anyway. Anyone with a different agenda, conversion in their case, is just not a charity.

Also note how their spokesperson doesn't even bother to deny their bigoted views, but instead tries to hide by saying they a happy few that do comply by the standards of being Arya... -oh wait, different bigots - people that do comply with the standards of a 'good Christian'. (as if anyone knows what those are)
ffs-dontcare said:
Even if they did discriminate, at least SOME people would still be receiving help.
So let's recognize the KKK as a charity eh?

And why not label the Taliban a charity while we're at it? After all if you're a devout Muslim extremist, they can give you a lot of aid.
Fawxy said:
I'm thinking the Salvation Army does a LOT more good than bad.
Yes, and the nazis helped Germany out of a deep economic crisis, so they were also good guys? Give me a break.
So let me get this right the LGBT has shown no true proof of what they said and from that you decide their as bad as the Nazi?s and KKK. Dude calm the F down and take a deep breath or two.Also FYI I've been to the Salvation Army they don't ask what your sex your into.

NegaWiki

Oct 1, 2011
I don't donate to the Salvation Army since they actually refused to receive my cousins money just because she's gay. Why would you refuse money from someone just because they kissed their girlfriend as she checked her purse? I donate to other charities, forget the idiots!

Gorrila_thinktank

Dec 28, 2010
Wow. Just wow. The Salvation Army isn?t a ?charitable organization? they are first and for most a church. They are a Christian domination that got its start when William and Catharine Booth started to evangelise London?s east end. The SA is a protestant church but they primarily operate in the lower strata?s of society. They don?t do communion because historically most of their congregation have been recovering alchiholics. These are the people who get down in the dirt with the poor, heck these are the poor. Their ?ministry? is directly aimed to help people.

Yes they do make moral judgments. We all do. But they actually try to help people, this is not the big bad church keeping the little people down, attacking people, these are people who believe something and wish to make the world a better place.

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
Blablahb said:
I call Godwin's Law on this and therefore you lose the internet.

I sincerely hope you're simply noting the way in which you can take those people's arguments out of proportion.

OT: I've already said, church has an opinion, they don't impress it on those they help or even those they employ, where's the problem? Those who brought this up have forgotten their logic hats when arguing for gay rights.

GoodEyeSniper

Sep 9, 2008
Giving aid to LGBT people while actively lobbying the government for anti-gay policies is very much in the spirit of comforting someone after you've set their house on fire.