LGBT Community calls the Salvation Army Bigots

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
These LGBT guys need to take a second READ their own shit then get back with me. Simply because 2 wrong don't make a right....

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
NegaWiki said:
I don't donate to the Salvation Army since they actually refused to receive my cousins money just because she's gay. Why would you refuse money from someone just because they kissed their girlfriend as she checked her purse? I donate to other charities, forget the idiots!
Because one isolated incident clearly represents everyone in a community. Just like all Bronies are assholes trying to convert people who would really rather not get involved and all Furries are into bestiality. So clearly I hate all gays -.-

I know I won't stop this kind of attitude appearing on the internet but I can't let this pass by me.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Grey_Wolf_Leader said:
Christians have never argued that anyone with homosexual inclinations do not have the same rights as anyone else. Its just that no one (even heterosexually-attracted people) has the inalienable right to pick and choose his/her marital partner from an unlimited pool. In some societies, marriages are still arranged by the parents of the partners so that every involved party is taken into consideration. In ours, you can't marry someone under legal age, who cannot give consent, or who is of the same gender.

The underlying point here is that legitimate marriages must be authorized by a higher authority who has final say in the matter, whether that authority is the state or God himself. That is all Christians have ever believed in when it comes to "gay" rights. "Equality of Law" means you get no extra-special exception just because you're differe
Grey_Wolf_Leader said:
Christians have never argued that anyone with homosexual inclinations do not have the same rights as anyone else. Its just that no one (even heterosexually-attracted people) has the inalienable right to pick and choose his/her marital partner from an unlimited pool. In some societies, marriages are still arranged by the parents of the partners so that every involved party is taken into consideration. In ours, you can't marry someone under legal age, who cannot give consent, or who is of the same gender.

The underlying point here is that legitimate marriages must be authorized by a higher authority who has final say in the matter, whether that authority is the state or God himself. That is all Christians have ever believed in when it comes to "gay" rights. "Equality of Law" means you get no extra-special exception just because you're different.
WTF!?

In Ohio in order to prevent Gays from marrying a constitutional Amendment (states constitution) needed to be added. Why because legally marriage was not defined as a partnership between a man and a woman. In fact the federal Constitution doesn't make that distinction either. Please tell me were this arbitrary rule is written that says people of the same gender can not marry, as I would love to see it.

It is not special treatment to want to be afforded the same right as everyone else in your country. It is however special treatment to think that you can push your religious views onto those who don't not share them by making them into laws.

Now I wonder who in gods name could have pushed to make an amendment to a states Constitution in order to prevent gays from marrying. Hint: it wasn't the gay community.

SideNote: the bill was called The Defense of Marriage Act. What were they defending it from? Gays.....I guess

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
omicron1 said:
So all public groups - charities, political parties, physicians - are required to toe left-wing political lines or get off the streets now? If you don't support unions, abortions, and gay rights you can just go hide in a corner while the Correct People run the world?

Personally, I will be putting whatever I have in hand in the bucket next time I see one, just for this reason. Gorram politicizing.
Supporting equality for homosexuals isn't being left wing, it's not being a bigot.

jbchillin

Sep 16, 2010
I like the salvation army. No matter what their views are it doesn't change the fact that they help countless people. I would rather give to the salvation army then the United Way and as a matter of fact i have done so.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Glerken said:
omicron1 said:
So all public groups - charities, political parties, physicians - are required to toe left-wing political lines or get off the streets now? If you don't support unions, abortions, and gay rights you can just go hide in a corner while the Correct People run the world?

Personally, I will be putting whatever I have in hand in the bucket next time I see one, just for this reason. Gorram politicizing.
Supporting equality for homosexuals isn't being left wing, it's not being a bigot.
Calling one side of a debate (in this case, the "sexuality isn't on the same scale as gender or race" side) bigots is a very dishonest way to force one's opinion into public consensus. It is little better than saying "So have you stopped beating your wife yet?" in motive or consequence.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Honestly, there are a lot of charities out there. Not donating to the Salvation Army doesn't stop helping the people who need it, but it does remove further funding for a company with homophobic ideals.

Easy peasy from my viewpoint.

NegaWiki

Oct 1, 2011
Redlin5 said:
NegaWiki said:
I don't donate to the Salvation Army since they actually refused to receive my cousins money just because she's gay. Why would you refuse money from someone just because they kissed their girlfriend as she checked her purse? I donate to other charities, forget the idiots!
Because one isolated incident clearly represents everyone in a community. Just like all Bronies are assholes trying to convert people who would really rather not get involved and all Furries are into bestiality. So clearly I hate all gays -.-

I know I won't stop this kind of attitude appearing on the internet but I can't let this pass by me.
When did I say you hated gays? Don't put words in my mouth, I said I don't donate to the Salvation Army because they refused a donation from my cousin.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
NegaWiki said:
When did I say you hated gays? Don't put words in my mouth, I said I don't donate to the Salvation Army because they refused a donation from my cousin.
Fair enough but your words implied the entire organization behaves the way that member did to your cousin. I was rising to the defense of my Church in much the manner I've seen Bronies and Furries do on this site. I thought it was a legitimate tactic these days.

Still, I'm sorry if I've offended you. I rarely post with emotionally charged words.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
omicron1 said:
Glerken said:
omicron1 said:

Calling one side of a debate (in this case, the "sexuality isn't on the same scale as gender or race" side) bigots is a very dishonest way to force one's opinion into public consensus. It is little better than saying "So have you stopped beating your wife yet?" in motive or consequence.
When do people have a debate about "sexuality isn't on the same scale as gender or race"

I'm saying that people who believe homosexuals shouldn't have the same rights as heterosexuals are bigots. That's it.

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
Eh, their beliefs are kind of douchey. Of that there is no doubt. But the fact remains that they do something good and are good at what they do. There aren't that many charity organizations with the reach and manpower of the salvation army.

If faced with a choice i would prefer the other one. But you can't let idealism become the enemy of what is possible. Sometimes you just got to be pragmatic. An unfair donation is better than no donation at all.

Donnie Restad

Oct 9, 2011
Nyaliva said:
OT: I've already said, church has an opinion, they don't impress it on those they help or even those they employ, where's the problem? Those who brought this up have forgotten their logic hats when arguing for gay rights.
Yes, but it doesn't help anybody that I wouldn't be able to give them money at all if I was with my boyfriend at the time. That's where the problem is.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Glerken said:
When do people have a debate about "sexuality isn't on the same scale as gender or race"

I'm saying that people who believe homosexuals shouldn't have the same rights as heterosexuals are bigots. That's it.
Sure. We all have every right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; the right to marry someone of the opposite gender... on this point I believe everyone (except perhaps a very small contingent of fringe cases) will agree.

It's when one reinterprets "rights" to fit a particular viewpoint, then labels all in opposition "bigots" or worse, that we have a problem.

NegaWiki

Oct 1, 2011
Redlin5 said:
NegaWiki said:
Fair enough but your words implied the entire organization behaves the way that member did to your cousin. I was rising to the defense of my Church in much the manner I've seen Bronies and Furries do on this site. I thought it was a legitimate tactic these days.

Still, I'm sorry if I've offended you. I rarely post with emotionally charged words.
All is forgiven, I don't like people putting words in my mouth.
Those members still glare at my family whenever we pass by the thrift store, it's those type of people that give things bad names.
As a brony and a furry, I understand.

darkstarangel

Jun 27, 2008
Well what did they expect? Its a church, ofcourse they're not gonna support or encourage homosexuality. If a secular charity did so then they might have a case as it would be more based on someones personal opinion & not any kind of theological doctrine.

Besides, how is it discrimination? The only way they can discriminate in this circumstance is choose not to help people of such sexual preference which as they claimed cannot do (nor would not do)

I think the writer of the article is just some overly sensitive politically correct journalist who percieves anyone who doesnt support the gay movement as being discriminant bigots which in itself is a form of intellectual bullying. Its like saying Americans who didnt vote for Obama are racist or those who didnt vote for Hilary Clinton are chauvanist & sexist.

I hate journalists like that & I definately support the Salvo's every time I see them because atleast they selflessly help others. Im sure any povity stricken or homeless LGBT people who are filling their stomachs with a decent meal & sleeping a warm bed (& if not just them then they're families also) by the salvo's could'nt give a crap what their moral or political stance is.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
This is just slander.
The salvation army does good and valuable work helping the needy, and I'll continue to support them.

Fleischer

Jan 8, 2011
Way to go, Salvation Army! You just steeled me to merrily walk past you bell ringers without giving a donation. In the same way I refuse to support the bigoted Boy Scouts of America, I shall give the Salvation Army the same treatment. The money I would've given to Salvation Army will go to Child's Play. :)

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
Well that's because they -are- bigots.

And whilst saying "Well they do more good than bad" sounds very nice in an over-simplistic sound byte kind of way, believe it or not there are lots of charities which manage to do good without doing any bad - These are the charities you ought to be giving your money to, the ones which don't cause any harm.

But i'm unsurprised that the majority of the escapists are adopting the "Meh, who cares" stance, who will then go into another thread about Call of Duty players calling others "Faggots" and loudly wonder what has happened to today's youth...Such sweet, stupid irony.