LGBT Community calls the Salvation Army Bigots

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
pirateninj4 said:
At least I know Sally Army get's shit done for poor people.
The Salvation Army doesn't "get things done", a lot of their money goes to conservative, anti-gay, anti-abortion propaganda.

The Red Cross gets things done. If you want to give to a worthwhile charity, give to the Red Cross, instead.

Mordereth

Jun 19, 2009
SalvArmy just doesn't seem like they'd ever ask- but they don't address the fact that SalvArmy also probably lobbies against Gay Marriage, eT keTra.

Lots of conservative Christians (Baptists, I'm looking at you) have convinced countries where they have their "missionaries" to make homosexuality punishable by death, so while I'm fairly certain these aren't those people, the idea that they might be in league with them is... deeply disturbing, to say the least.

TL;DR: The wonders of some "Christian" missionaries in Africa; http://www.loonwatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/anti-gay-uganda-460x3071-300x200.jpg

BottomLine: I don't donate to charities with agendas beyond what I'm donating for; this limits my options, but grants me piece of mind and limits my need to swallow what their spokesmen spew.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
People are free to donate their money to whatever cause they deem fit. Personally, I'd prefer my money to go towards more secular organisations.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Ah, I'm glad I found this video again. It much better explains my position against the Salvation Army that I can usually say in my own words.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
I'm the "B" part of LGBT, and this is news to me.
If I lived anywhere near any branch of the Salvation army i would never donate there again, however I live in Utah, where the organization does not exist, so I really don't have anything to say except this,
Salvation Army...

Mordereth

Jun 19, 2009
Grey_Wolf_Leader said:
Christians have never argued that anyone with homosexual inclinations do not have the same rights as anyone else.
And my are you quite provably wrong; I'd ridicule you, but someone who's going to make a sweeping generalization like that about a group (to which iBelong) simply isn't going to care.

For those of you interested in facts: Uganda's Bill to put the Death Penalty to homosexuals for their sexuality (denying their inalienable right to live), and other fun sources I looked up to confirm my accusation.

Source #1) http://www.alternet.org/story/14424...opers_backs_death_penalty_for_gays_with_hiv__
Source #2)
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/10/28/death-penalty-gays-law-soon-lawmaker/
Source #3)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_against_LGBT_people

Note: Sarz for the link-dropping, it was just for a quote in the other post.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
I wouldn't donate to an organisation like the Salvation Army to begin with. I prefer my charities secular.

Doctors Without Borders, anyone?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
On one hand, you shouldn't discriminate against the gay. On the other hand, they don't really appear to be discriminating - do you really they they have a checklist they make all the people they give hand outs to sign, with the first question being "Are you a raving homosexual? Tick where appropriate"?

Blablahb said:
I never donated to them anyway. Anyone with a different agenda, conversion in their case, is just not a charity.

Also note how their spokesperson doesn't even bother to deny their bigoted views, but instead tries to hide by saying they a happy few that do comply by the standards of being Arya... -oh wait, different bigots - people that do comply with the standards of a 'good Christian'. (as if anyone knows what those are)
ffs-dontcare said:
Even if they did discriminate, at least SOME people would still be receiving help.
So let's recognize the KKK as a charity eh?

And why not label the Taliban a charity while we're at it? After all if you're a devout Muslim extremist, they can give you a lot of aid.
Fawxy said:
I'm thinking the Salvation Army does a LOT more good than bad.
Yes, and the nazis helped Germany out of a deep economic crisis, so they were also good guys? Give me a break.
Holy shit do you appear to be a really angry person. How does "they do a lot of good!" translate into "BUT THEY'RE FUCKING NAZIS, MAN!" to you?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Fleischer said:
Way to go, Salvation Army! You just steeled me to merrily walk past you bell ringers without giving a donation. In the same way I refuse to support the bigoted Boy Scouts of America, I shall give the Salvation Army the same treatment. The money I would've given to Salvation Army will go to Child's Play. :)
Gmans uncle said:
If I lived anywhere near any branch of the Salvation army i would never donate there again, however I live in Utah, where the organization does not exist, so I really don't have anything to say except this,
Salvation Army...
Someone didn't read the article, nor any of the comments apparently.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Gmans uncle said:
Salvation Army...
...really? You've never noticed the Santas ringing their bells outside of the grocery stores? Hell, they have locations in both Salt Lake and Ogden.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Volf99 said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
omicron1 said:
Glerken said:
I'm not reinterpreting any rights.
A bigot is someone who is intolerant towards other groups of people.
Saying a certain group of people shouldn't have the same rights as yours is being bigoted.
snip
snip
snip.
There is a very large difference between "Opinion of Rights" and "Denial of Rights".

The freedom of speech is for all of humanity. Just because the government says its right does not make it so. If the government said tomorrow that the murder of Asian-Americans was legal, it would not make it right.

All humans have rights, as long as those rights to do not cause harm, or infringe upon the rights, of others. The right to marry is another such right.
Actually there is debate as to whether the concept of "human rights" is a universal idea or a Western idea. I realize its wikipedia (and that is looked down upon) but take a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights#Relativism_and_universalism

while it doesn't specifically address the "right" to marry, it does touch on the subject that I was trying to point out, which is the concept of moral relativism. It also addresses what I think you were showing support for, which is the idea of moral universalism.

I think from reading that section of the page, you'll understand what I'm typing about.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
LGBT COMMUNITY: Tolerance is not the same as acceptance! Just because you feel or think a certain way, does not mean people have the same mind set! And asking people to NOT donate to a charity fund is only hurting your cause!
The best way to look at this is to acknowledge their opinion and respect it. It is always hurtful to your cause to belittle ones belief over something of this subject matter, and when it comes down to it, its hypocritical to say the least.
Personally, I accept gays as human beings, but i'm against gay marriage, because i'm against any civil union being defined by the sate or nation. Marriage should be a religious thing, and civil union a between two consenting adults thing.

Also, i doubt this was the voice of the whole LGBT community, because i know quite a few gays who are against gay marriage. After all, the pope doesn't speak for all of us Christians. Just the Catholics who actually want to listen to him.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
LetalisK said:
Gmans uncle said:
Salvation Army...
...really? You've never noticed the Santas ringing their bells outside of the grocery stores? Hell, they have locations in both Salt Lake in Ogden.
zuh?
I always thought those Santas where for other charities, the way I understood it they only worked out of the eastern united states, I grew up in the east, but moved out west later, and I never noticed SA at all out here.
I live about an hour south of Provo, so maybe I'm out of their way or something.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Rubashov said:
direkiller said:
OT: the money going into those kettles is for the food bank not anything the Salvation army agrees with
But is it? How do you know how the SA uses the money that goes into those kettles? It's a fact that the SA lobbies for anti-gay legislation, and that money has to come from somewhere. Even if it doesn't come directly from donations, it's still money that the SA somehow has in its possession and, therefore, money that could have been used to, y'know, feed people.

If I'm going to donate to a charity, I want to know that my money isn't contributing to that charity's efforts to lobby for discriminatory legislation.
Last time i read the sign right next to the kettle by the Santa it stated "All Proceeds go to "
The Salvation Army is attached to a church and that church takes in donations that go to that churches interest there entirely separate from the food drive.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
The LGBT community is offended because some people don't agree with their choices? I mean people will disagree with each other on almost anything and this is just one such example. The Salvation Army isn't trying to hunt down homosexual people so why would the LGBT community be attacking their charities that are directed toward everyone. It's going to harm more than just the Salvation Army seeing that the charities don't go to them but everyone else.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
SilentCom said:
The LGBT community is offended because some people don't agree with their choices? I mean people will disagree with each other on almost anything and this is just one such example. The Salvation Army isn't trying to hunt down homosexual people so why would the LGBT community be attacking their charities that are directed toward everyone. It's going to harm more than just the Salvation Army seeing that the charities don't go to them but everyone else.
Therese a differences between disagreeing with someone and actively trying to suppress someone.
(and yes there lobbyist are part of the anti-gay movement)

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
viranimus said:
and the assumption that Christianity is inherently bigoted.
Christianity IS inherently bigoted. Core values of the christian religion are based on racism, sexism, religious persecution and homophobia. It's great when people choose to take the good (love, hope, forgiveness) from the Bible and ignore the bad (racism, sexism, violence), but I think we all know that is not the majority position.

The Salvation Army takes YOUR donation money and uses it to lobby for anti-gay policies. When you donate to SA, you passively support those platforms. Now, of course, if you are homophobic and support anti-gay-rights legislature, go ahead and drop some more in that bucket, if not, give it to someplace that isn't skimming off the top to push policy you disagree with.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
direkiller said:
SilentCom said:
Therese a differences between disagreeing with someone and actively trying to suppress someone.
(and yes there lobbyist are part of the anti-gay movement)
Yes, but unfortunately it can go both ways. Because the SA is seen as suppressing LGBT, the LFBT community is trying to suppress them back. The problem is that it harms the charities they do which means it ultimately harms the people who are helped by the charities and not so much the SA itself. I mean people are free to choose to donate or not to the SA because their money goes to charity not into the pockets of the SA, or at least it shouldn't.

If people choose not to donate to the SA, then that is their choice. However, I don't want people to think that if they donated it will go directly toward LGBT suppression.