LGBT Community calls the Salvation Army Bigots

May 26, 2010
This is stupid.

Yes, the Salvation Army are a christian organisation.

Yes, as both an antitheist and an LGBT rights supporter, I disapprove of that.

No, I'm not going to revise my stance on donating to them as long as they continue to be indiscriminate about who they give aid to.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Blablahb said:
Volf99 said:
last I checked, unlike Hitler and the Nazi's, the Salvation Army didn't kill any of my family, nor does it have any plans to. Seriously, that is a poor choice in comparisons.
And because they haven't directly caused any deaths, it's pretty okay for the salvation army to be bigots and raging homophobics, right?

The comparison is more acurate than you care to admit. The nazis were also heavily religious, conservative and homophobic.
The fact that the Salvation Army is opposed to homosexual sex (note not homosexuals because they stated that they believe that homosexuals should be celibate which is silly)does not make them "homophobic". They have not stated that they hate/fear homosexuals, nor that they wish to "pray the gay away" either.

As to the comparison, the Salvation Army helps homosexuals, jews, polish people and other people that Nazi's killed. When the Salvation Army starts intentionally trying to kill homosexuals in a systematic manner, then you can compare the two. Until then, you are just proving support for Godwin's Law.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
ravensheart18 said:
Jegsimmons said:
Zeckt said:
I'll be honest with you guys, okay? I HATE that transexual you linked in the video. He talks of boycotting the salvation army, yet has he EVER been in a position where there was no one to help you BUT them!?

NO! he's just a privelaged douchebag who knows nothing of hardships. Boycotting the salvation army only hurts your community because it will mean they have less resources to help the people in your community who really need it. If it werent for them I would of been eating out of a trashcan, sleeping in below freezing weather.

And you want to know something else?! I AM ALSO A TRANSEXUAL!! the few who call the salvation army out for merely giving an opinion are in NO way a representation of us and their actions against the army is disgraceful.
kind of off topic, but i gotta ask while i have the chance.
what exactly is a tansexual? a cross dresser? someone who had a sex change? and is it necessarily a homosexual? i ask because i am really ignorant about this, and my google search history is shameful enough as it is.
:/
By definition, being transsexual is when you identify with a gender that doesn't match your physical body. So you have male physiology and you self identify and see yourself as female (or visa versa, or some more complicated situations I'll ignore for simplicity).

Sexual orientation is seperate. You can be a physical man, who identifies as a woman, but who is sexually attracted to women, basically a M=>F lesbian. You can be a male or identifies as female but likes only men, a M=>F straight. Or just about any other combo you can think of.

It can involve "cross dressing", hormone therapy, or gender reassignment surgery, but doesn't have to include any of those.
ah, ok, that clears a lot up.....on another note, you know who i think gets the shaft the most in the LGBT community? Hermaphrodites. They aren't even in the title, and they are the ones that don't have the actual choice in the matter. Poor guys...uh...girls....what evers.....

May 26, 2010
Jegsimmons said:
ah, ok, that clears a lot up.....on another note, you know who i think gets the shaft the most in the LGBT community? Hermaphrodites. They aren't even in the title, and they are the ones that don't have the actual choice in the matter. Poor guys...uh...girls....what evers.....
I believe the politically correct term is "The intersexed", and I'm pretty sure there's a longer version of the title that they are in, but a fair point.

Vivace-Vivian

Apr 6, 2010
Oh is that what our new issue is? Well I'll just have to log into my LGBT Community chat board here...

Wait... oh yeah, there's no such thing. Guess it's not quite fair to say an entire gorup feels one way because some specific icons in it do.

How iiiiiinteresting.

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
Oh boy...here we go...

First, Salvation Army IS a Church. As a church, they have deep beliefs in the bible, etc. However, they do not discriminate against people based on their LGBT status. They don't even ask people what their sexual preference is there. All they are interested at is whether or not you commit to their program (which is very strict imo) and turn your life around (usually through finding God etc.).

And even with that, they don't discriminate against people based on their religion either. I'm....affiliated through one of the ARC's loosely through internship and I can attest that as a huge LGBT ally that this is simply not the case.

There are LGBT people there. There are also jews, muslims, christians, atheists etc. They will take in anyone with a serious addiction and try to help them get clean. Plus, it's my understanding that for the most part they stay out of politics all together.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
It's a religious organisation, they're obviously going to have views on certain matters that conflict with society but their response says it all. I can't imagine them asking what somebody's sexual orientation is. Not to mention that whatever their official position on homosexuality is I highly doubt that extends to all of their members.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Fangobra said:
Jegsimmons said:
I believe the politically correct term is "The intersexed", and I'm pretty sure there's a longer version of the title that they are in, but a fair point.
but I think the scientific term would be Hermaphrodite, no?

May 26, 2010
Volf99 said:
Fangobra said:
Jegsimmons said:
I'm not sure it is any more. And if it is, it's likely acceptable only to use it as an adjective, not a noun (as is the case with many such things). In any case, Volf99 is not a doctor (or if s/he is s/he is not acting in his/her professional capacity as one here) so the social term should be used.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I never donate to those fools, they refused to help my family when my parents were out of work & had a family that needed the help. I don't know all the details, it was before i was born I'm the youngest of six children.

Caravelle

Oct 1, 2011
Volf99 said:
Fangobra said:
Jegsimmons said:
Hermaphrodites are organisms that have both male and female functional reproductive systems. AFAIK there is not such thing as a true human hermaphrodite. Intersexed humans are at some point on the continuum between male and female genitals but they aren't fertile both ways, when they're fertile at all. (given ovaries and testicles develop from the same organs it would be rather difficult to have a set of each)

Caravelle

Oct 1, 2011
ravensheart18 said:
Jegsimmons said:
Well even saying LGBT here will get you evil stares. It's LGBTQ most commonly (Queer being added) and LGBTQ2S isn't unusual (2 Spirited from First Nations thinking added), and then there is... nevermind, it can get silly long. One LGBTQ organization in my area recently renamed itself "Sexual Diversity" because it was becoming a string of letters and they thought the important part is recognizing that sexuality is diverse and comes in countless flavors.
The acronym I've seen a lot lately is QUILTBAG (conveniently rememberable). Offhand I'd say it's something along the lines of Queer, Undecided?, Intersexed, Lesbian, Transsexual, Bisexual, Asexual, Gay.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Blablahb said:
Maybe you should actually read my post and see what the comparison is about. I was responding to someone who said it was alright for the SA to be massive bigots , because they also help people. The comparison is fitting. Actually "Hitler also built highways" is a fairly well known slogan to point out that a positive trait doesn't undo all negatives.

Not my problem if you're hypersensitive to seeing religious sects being seen for what they are.
First of all "a positive trait doesn't undo all negatives." has nothing to do with the current discussion with me. The person who said that is foolish. Obviously this isnt true. Groups have negatives and positives. However sometimes there are more positives than negatives, (as with many PEOPLE) and thus we can agree this group or person, despite not being perfect, is a good and helpfull person.

Also the comparison is weak. The nazis had strong views. So did the KK. They also did the main thing and ACTED ON THEM. Regardless of the views of the SA they do not act at ALL on their views other than those willingly in their church. They are against action against anyone gay or not, so the comparison is poor in that regard.

Hitler thought and DID terrible things. he also did a few good things very heavily outwieghed by the bad.

Sa might think bad things but they dont DO terrible things. In fact they do MANY good things. More good things than bad since theres no proof they actually do any bad things at all.

Caravelle

Oct 1, 2011
Jegsimmons said:
Revnak said:
Jegsimmons said:
Personally, I accept gays as human beings, but i'm against gay marriage, because i'm against any civil union being defined by the sate or nation. Marriage should be a religious thing, and civil union a between two consenting adults thing.
I'm sorry, but I was reading this and I have to say that I have never heard of another person who had the same views on marriage as me in my life so I felt I had to post this before my jaw hit the floor. I wasn't able to post it in time by the way. This is assuming that you also believe that the government should stop handing out marriage licenses and instead just start just handing out civil union licenses, which is what it sounds like you're supporting.
pretty much. yeah.
And is there a reason those civil unions couldn't be called "marriages" ? Religion doesn't have a monopoly on the word.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Caravelle said:
Volf99 said:
Fangobra said:
Jegsimmons said:
Hermaphrodites are organisms that have both male and female functional reproductive systems. AFAIK there is not such thing as a true human hermaphrodite. Intersexed humans are at some point on the continuum between male and female genitals but they aren't fertile both ways, when they're fertile at all. (given ovaries and testicles develop from the same organs it would be rather difficult to have a set of each)
hmmm..that makes sense. I can't actually recall ever hearing about a human that possessed both full functioning genitals.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
ravensheart18 said:
Jegsimmons said:
Well even saying LGBT here will get you evil stares. It's LGBTQ most commonly (Queer being added) and LGBTQ2S isn't unusual (2 Spirited from First Nations thinking added), and then there is... nevermind, it can get silly long. One LGBTQ organization in my area recently renamed itself "Sexual Diversity" because it was becoming a string of letters and they thought the important part is recognizing that sexuality is diverse and comes in countless flavors.
can you explain the Queer part to me? I never really got why people would call themselves that because until college, I only heard of the word queer to be used to mean that something(not related to sexuality) was somehow unusual, odd, weird or puzzling. For example if you thought one of your friends was acting out of character, you might say that they were acting "queer". Or if you felt social awkward about having the "birds and the bees" conversation with your parents, you might say the situation was "queer". Again, I'm confused. Is it like the word ******, in that it is an attempt to "claim" a word and make it a positive thing? ....or am I totally wrong and talking out my ass?