LGBT Community calls the Salvation Army Bigots

Broken Boy

Apr 10, 2010
It has been a long while since I have felt the need to post anything, but this caught my eye while browsing.

So...

I couldn't really care any less about a groups political or religious views BUT...

When that view could possibly harm or hinder people I care about that's enough to get me to speak up. Although the SA dose not ask about a persons sexuality when they help someone, my thoughts drift to (What else are they doing with this money?!?). Being a B & T of the L.G.B.T this concerns me a bit, now don't get me wrong not everything the L.G.B.T does I agree with. In this instance I don't think either side can claim the moral high ground...

Being objective as I usually am here is my opinion. I have donated to the SA in the past not knowing their views. Now that I do know that the money I have donated in the past may have gone to finance the lawyers that tried to place restrictions on the L.G.B.T community. I am saddened & I can see the L.G.B.T's side of this a bit. Persecution is persecution be it ( Nazi & Jews, Whites & Blacks, Straight & Gay ) All the L.G.B.T wants at least for my part is equality with the rest of the society. For my part of the L.G.B.T we just want our rights nothing more, but the SA runs counter to that even though they do good by helping the poor. I cannot bring myself to donate through them anymore & will have to find other ways to do so.

I know it's a wall of text I didn't mean get this into it but there it is.

And yes I know I post this a lot but still I think it is relevant here.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
BiscuitTrouser said:
omicron1 said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Sorry, I can't recall when my loving lesbian parents lost their rights to someone's opinion. Or my dad who beat the shit out of my mom every day got to have his because of someone's opinion.

There are no "opinions" when it comes to the rights that all humans are entitled to. And until someone can show me where homosexuals marrying will end the human race as we know it, or destroy the fabric of society, or whatever else Pat Robertson spews every day, I'll continue to refer to your attempts to prevent their happiness as "bigoted".
Ah, the classic appeal to emotion. My response is thus: "Someone's grandma always suffers." In other words, for every emotion-based argument there is an emotion-based counter argument.

I am afraid you are simply going to have to come to terms with the fact that approximately half (although estimates - and poll results - vary widely) of the nation disagrees with you. You cannot discount their collective position by calling them bigots, any more than I can get rid of you by calling you and yours "religiophobes." You have your opinion and it is quite unlikely to go away; I respect the existence thereof. And you are going to have to respect the existence of mine, because it - and I - am not going away. I am not a bigot, a homophobe, or any other slur because I disagree with you, even if you think your position is in support of a "fundamental human right." I am someone with an entirely different viewpoint to your own concerning what qualifies as a "right." And, like it or not, my opinion is just as valid as yours.
I believe the line "All men are born equal" is appropriate here.

Because apparently they are not. If a man is born gay he is not equal by your logic. He does not have the right to marriage unless it is someone he has no attraction to.

I think in a world where a man and a woman who fucking hate each other have more right to marry than two men who love eachother something is inherently wrong. All men are born equal. Its in the consitution so your opnion has no right to deny the foundations of the country. Unless of course you want to argue all men are not born equal in terms of basic rights?

My stance is everyone can marry or no one can, thus equallity.

EDIT: This was an accidental double post i turned into something usefull.
I think the argument was that marriage is not a "right", not that it was a "right" for only heterosexuals to have.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Well, seeing as I never even heard of the Salvation Army before, there isn't really much of an oppinion to change.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Blablahb said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
A: The brutal and systematic murder of SIX MILLION PEOPLE
B: The suicide bombing and attacks/rapes of innocent civilians in their own and other countries.
What the HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU. If you cant see how these parallels are insanely... i dont even know, HORRIFICALLY awful then you need help... what do you do in the street? Dont offer someone a bus chair because they are young? YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE STRANGLING AND DEVOURING BABIES YOU MONSTER!
Maybe you should actually read my post and see what the comparison is about. I was responding to someone who said it was alright for the SA to be massive bigots , because they also help people. The comparison is fitting. Actually "Hitler also built highways" is a fairly well known slogan to point out that a positive trait doesn't undo all negatives.

Not my problem if you're hypersensitive to seeing religious sects being seen for what they are.
last I checked, unlike Hitler and the Nazi's, the Salvation Army didn't kill any of my family, nor does it have any plans to. Seriously, that is a poor choice in comparisons.

Stu the Pirate

Dec 24, 2010
I volunteer my Saturdays in a Salvation Army charity shop. Neither I nor a single person in there has anti-gay views, or for that matter nobody I work with even believes in God. We do it anyway because we know it helps people, and I think that the same spirit should be applied when considering donating.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
It's easy to not agree with a philanthropic organization when you don't actually have the need for help. These people don't even realize they're harming people who could be helped by them on a principle if they get people to not donate money. At least they're helping somebody, when was the last time activists of any kind or sexual orientation ever did any actual good?

I'll take prejudiced good acts over no good acts at all.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Jarimir said:
As much as people would like, the world is not black and white. Bad people can do good things and good people can do bad things. I think it's dangerous to start ignoring the bad side of things just because you can also find some good.
Exactly...there seems to be this strange assumption or expectation that if a person or organisation does something you like, it doesn't do anything else you don't like.

pirateninj4

Apr 6, 2009
LilithSlave said:
pirateninj4 said:
At least I know Sally Army get's shit done for poor people.
The Salvation Army doesn't "get things done", a lot of their money goes to conservative, anti-gay, anti-abortion propaganda.

The Red Cross gets things done. If you want to give to a worthwhile charity, give to the Red Cross, instead.
Should have been more specific. When I was still living in NZ, the Sally Army there got shit done.

Red cross was more of a teaching first aid and running ambulance services deal.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I'll be honest with you guys, okay? I HATE that transexual you linked in the video. He talks of boycotting the salvation army, yet has he EVER been in a position where there was no one to help you BUT them!?

NO! he's just a privelaged douchebag who knows nothing of hardships. Boycotting the salvation army only hurts your community because it will mean they have less resources to help the people in your community who really need it. If it werent for them I would of been eating out of a trashcan, sleeping in below freezing weather.

And you want to know something else?! I AM ALSO A TRANSEXUAL!! the few who call the salvation army out for merely giving an opinion are in NO way a representation of us and their actions against the army is disgraceful.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Revnak said:
Jegsimmons said:
Personally, I accept gays as human beings, but i'm against gay marriage, because i'm against any civil union being defined by the sate or nation. Marriage should be a religious thing, and civil union a between two consenting adults thing.
I'm sorry, but I was reading this and I have to say that I have never heard of another person who had the same views on marriage as me in my life so I felt I had to post this before my jaw hit the floor. I wasn't able to post it in time by the way. This is assuming that you also believe that the government should stop handing out marriage licenses and instead just start just handing out civil union licenses, which is what it sounds like you're supporting.
pretty much. yeah.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Zeckt said:
I'll be honest with you guys, okay? I HATE that transexual you linked in the video. He talks of boycotting the salvation army, yet has he EVER been in a position where there was no one to help you BUT them!?

NO! he's just a privelaged douchebag who knows nothing of hardships. Boycotting the salvation army only hurts your community because it will mean they have less resources to help the people in your community who really need it. If it werent for them I would of been eating out of a trashcan, sleeping in below freezing weather.

And you want to know something else?! I AM ALSO A TRANSEXUAL!! the few who call the salvation army out for merely giving an opinion are in NO way a representation of us and their actions against the army is disgraceful.
kind of off topic, but i gotta ask while i have the chance.
what exactly is a tansexual? a cross dresser? someone who had a sex change? and is it necessarily a homosexual? i ask because i am really ignorant about this, and my google search history is shameful enough as it is.
:/