Lies they told you in history class

CityofTreez

Sep 2, 2011
Ambi said:
History = His Story (God's story aka the bible) and EVOLUTION IS A LIE
Sadly, this was mine.

I went to a Christian school (and not a moderate one either) and was taught the earth was only 6,000 years old. Looking back at it, plenty of "lolz" have been had.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
wilsontheterrible said:
GZGoten said:
still what benefit does US get from it? do they give us $ or soldiers or anything worth the while? or are they more of a liability. Don't get me wrong I appreciate The Mars Volta and Coheed & Cambria as much as the next guy but I just don't see the benefit for us as a country, and in that matter although to a lesser extent Hawaii too
Puerto Ricians are U.S citizens, they pay U.S Federal taxes, and enroll in the U.S military. There are actually a lot of noteable military officers from Puerto Rico and have made a name for themselves by routinely serving on the front lines in every conflict from WWI to the present day conflicts. Five have received the Congressional Medal of Honor and several have gone on to become generals and admirals.

So yeah, Puerto Rico pulls its weight pretty well.
I wasn't dissing the country, my mom was born and raised there, I was just curious
let's just get back to topic now shall we, don't want to start a flame war on here

wilsontheterrible

Jul 27, 2011
GZGoten said:
wilsontheterrible said:
I wasn't dissing the country, my mom was born and raised there, I was just curious
let's just get back to topic now shall we, don't want to start a flame war on here
No flame involved. Just listing off some of the stuff they do. Same kind of stuff goes for other U.S territories. By and large you can stay a territory as long as you want to be and most of them have decided it's a pretty sweet gig.

But yeah, the public schools kind of skim over stuff like that. I doubt that most students could point out Guam or the Virgin Islands on a map. I had to figure most of this stuff out by myself because frankly the teachers don't do squat.

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
Furious Styles said:
itchcrotch said:
oh! and marine biology! i do love my octopuses;D
I'm so glad someone else on earth loves octopuses as much as I do! Everyone else just thinks I'm a bit weird for loving them so, but they don't know quite how amazing they really are.
Octopusses (or should it be octopi?:p) are indeed awesome. I find them funny to watch when they squeeze through pipes and stuff they should not be able to.

OT: I saw that video and vomited at little. When does the que- king look like a transvestite?

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
That Aristotle and Plate were bright guys and big assets to western civilization. The opposite is true, had they never opened their mouth then science and philosphy would have continue to develop as it had done before them. Which was infinitly better then after these two dissasters. Took us almost 2 milenia to undo the damage they had done.

hotsauceman

Jun 23, 2011
That Benedict arnold was nothing more then a British loyalist. Seriously. If you look at him he fought in the Revolutionary war for our side. He even fought someone for usuing Yankee as an insult. But he was passed up for promotion so many time by politicians sons. Under those circumstances It make sense that He betrayed us for.

Another thing is the downplaying of the genocide america committed to make america.

wilsontheterrible

Jul 27, 2011
To be honest I'm starting to think the only solution is non-profit private education. Keep the public shools for the poor but insitute a voucher system to allow parents to send their children where they feel their needs will be best met.

The straw the broke the camels back was the current union effort to repeal a program in Arizona to establish a student savings fund to send disabled children to private facilities equipped to handle their special needs. Public school teachers are not trained for these kinds of disabilities and the fact they would try to defund the program speaks volumes about their intent. It's not about students, it's about teachers.

Non-profit private achievement oriented schools would exist for the benefit of students, educators, and the community. The keys to any successful, service-oriented industry are competition, customer service, and brand identification. The current system lacks all of these and we all suffer for it.

Because honestly, per-student spending has doubled in the last decade but quality has either remained the same or dropped. I have no faith in the public school system.

DrunkPickle

Sep 16, 2011
Just yesterday, my history teacher said to the class: "If The United States didn't help, Nazis would win World War 2". Realistically, it were the Poles and Russians who defeat Hitler. America did very little in comparison to other countries.

MrPeanut

Jun 18, 2011
luckycharms8282 said:
Also, Hitler and Mussolini were both religious individuals. They were not athiest, which many believe for some reason.
Wasn't Mussolini really an atheist but pretended to be a christian to keep things good with the Vatican and the religious people?

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
It may have been mentioned. But Edison was a dick and not really a scientist as much as a businessman. Tesla is much more responsible for modern electric power since he developed alternating current which prevents modern cities from having a ridiculous amount of both power stations and power lines.

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
Comando96 said:
Well the only real lies about history throughout all I was taught was that the Roman Republic/Empire were all sparkling in fully covered body armour and all in unison since they surfaced onto the world stage. And to be honest that was about it.

Oh. They did say they believed the world was flat...

Some occasions they said "Put this in tests. Its more complicated than that but put this down."

On the topic of America... Ironically colonial taxes were lower than back over on the mother island... it was not taxes. In a sense taxes was a spark as a new tax was added onto tea (still at a low rate) and then the Boston Tea party became a populist movement. The real issue was lack of representation in Parliament, so they could become independent and form their own Government of the people for the people by the people. Oh... and lets not forget, a lot who went to the colonies... were cripplingly poor... like the Irish and the Scottish and some of the Welsh so its not like they were that loyal to their old country xD
I agree and the standard of living in the American colonies was way higher than even england at the time. Many English troops were amazed by the wealth in america.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
This is something my high school US History teacher was good at. She spent the first two classes playing Mythbusters with US History. She was also disappointed when she found out she couldn't spend much time on Vietnam (this was her first year teaching).

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
None, I live in England and over here are schools seem to be going through a phase of making kids make their own opinions.. an entirely good thing if you ask me..

OT: I really cannot think of anything thats been simplified to the point of lies or any downright opinions.. history essays were always about providing balanced (well as far as you can) arguments so telling us one-sided opinions like the Soviet occupation of Eastern Europe was without reason is a bit pointless..

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
they said communism is wrong (yes yes, because the average man getting an extra two "0" on the end of his pay check is a HORRIBLE thing... for the top 2%)

trust your government (HAHAHAHAHHAHAA)

your vote counts (Bush, enough said)

america is a democracy (we're a republic, look it up)

there's a WAR in Iran (no declaration of war makes it a Police act, not a war, plus we were in Iraq...)

oh, and they told us the camps we shoved the japanese in during WW2, they said that they "WERE NOT CONCENTRATION CAMPS!" ...when in fact they were... we concentrated them into a camp... need I say more..? but apperently they don't like me comparing america to nazi germany

we were told reganomics works (hahahha, outsourcing...)

oh, and the communism thing, we were told it was evil and blah blah blah
should I mention that the pilgrims were communist..?

it would be easier to make a list of what TRUTH they've told us
we've never had a woman president
yup that's about it

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
Sean951 said:
Not so much lies as omissions, but I was a history nut and watched the History Channel a LOT. Keep in mind, this was before it was the Jesus, Alien, and Hitler channel.
Ha ha, you noticed that too. I surely wish they would show more history and less reality shows, where they cram tidbits of history now and then.

mabrookes

Dec 5, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
Dimitriov said:
immortalfrieza said:
Glass Joe the Champ said:
So guys, what kind of lies, if any, did you learn in your history class?
That history class is important or even slightly relevant to anyone besides historians and people that work in museums. Basically, that history class has any justification for it's existence whatsoever is the lie.

As a fun exercise let's assume you aren't in fact trolling. Please defend your statement.

I ask you to defend it because, as the existence of History classes implies, you seem to be making a claim that goes against what the majority of people believe. You may be right, if so please explain how. Or more likely you were taught History poorly and don't understand the true, and very important, reasons for studying the past: in which case you have my sympathy as that is not entirely your fault.
I'll try to defend it, but it'll be hard to do so without history buffs everywhere coming out of the woodwork to tell me that I'm full of it. I should first clarify that I enjoy learning about history, I watch the history channel all the time and spent much of my youth reading about Dinosaurs, lost civilizations, and so on for my own entertainment. I just see history classes as an incredibly bad waste of time to the vast majority of people.

I'll go more in depth as to why I think history class is pointless:

To start with, how many people do you know or even think is likely to get any sort of job (the entire point of school BTW) that even slightly involves history? How many of them already have? Compared to the entire planet's workforce a pretty miniscule amount I'll bet. Of that small amount, how many of those people do you think learned anything of actual worth to their professions in grade school, most of that comes from college and simple independent research.

A common defense of history class is the phrase "those who do not learn from the mistakes history are doomed to repeat it." However, this phrase fails to take into account that most people, for example, are not going to find themselves in situations to which knowing when the French Revolution happened and why is going to be in any way relevant. That particular case is very unlikely even if you live in France. If they insist on making people go through history classes the very least they could do is teach subjects that are relevant to modern society, not things that are anywhere from decades to millenia old.

History classes are, in my opinion, just another one of the largely useless subjects and classes that are taught in basic school, and that should be phased out in favor of ones that are, and the money saved from doing so be put towards allowing everyone to get a college education without having to pay through the a!^ for it.
You failed at the very beginning which makes the rest of the post somewhat pointless. The point of school is not just to get a job (I can't imagine how bad the world would be if we reach that point), it is to learn life skills in general - from that then we should have equipped the child to be able to study further, go into work or just improve the world in some way by contributing (which does not have to be a job, a concept you obviously do not understand).

As for the subject, history requires more of a mix of writing, comprehension and critical though/analysis skills than any other subject (because of its application, I would suggest more than any English course). Even if the child never remembers any of the history, the skills learnt (assuming they bother to actually try) are extremely valuable, and wouldn't be possible without the unique potential of learning history.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
DrunkPickle said:
Just yesterday, my history teacher said to the class: "If The United States didn't help, Nazis would win World War 2". Realistically, it were the Poles and Russians who defeat Hitler. America did very little in comparison to other countries.
Our military didn't do as much as Russia's, but look up how much equipment we threw at them. Boots, food, tanks, guns, ammo, clothes... You name it. Without America's industrial might, WWII would have gone rather differently. Keep in mind, while America was fighting the Western Front in Europe, which was a relative vacation compared to the Eastern Front, the Marines were fighting back the Japanese on the other side of the world, one hellhole of an island after the other.

Whytewulf said:
Sean951 said:
Not so much lies as omissions, but I was a history nut and watched the History Channel a LOT. Keep in mind, this was before it was the Jesus, Alien, and Hitler channel.
Ha ha, you noticed that too. I surely wish they would show more history and less reality shows, where they cram tidbits of history now and then.
I agree with that. I am beyond tired of "Pawn Stars" or whatever. I'm fine with the Discovery Channel having their reality shows, Deadliest Catch and Dual Survival are actually a little entertaining and they have Discovery Science and the occasional documentary (Planet Earth, for example) to pick up the slack.

pubbing said:
The big one is the civil war being fought of slavery.
The North fought to preserve the Union and save face internationally. The South fought to keep their slaves because big bad Mr. Lincoln might possibly someday free the slaves or something.