Life is Strange Episode 3-Just wow (Spoilers)

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
So apparently Max is the goddess of time. But of course there are risks to saving Chloe's dad and changing. Chloe's now in a wheelchair with a tube in her throat and apparently Max is now a Vortex Club member and uses the drugs. I am really curious as to how things will go with Max now a part of the clique she hates.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
That twist is a reminder of why we can't have nice things. Really want to know how Chloe became wheelchair bound (we do see a picture oh her getting a car in the new timeline, so she was good for at least another three years).

Makes me really wonder how much/little impact everything done up to that point will have.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
soren7550 said:
That twist is a reminder of why we can't have nice things. Really want to know how Chloe became wheelchair bound (we do see a picture oh her getting a car in the new timeline, so she was good for at least another three years).

Makes me really wonder how much/little impact everything done up to that point will have.
My guess is car accident.

Arshaq13

Jun 9, 2012
I know, I'd rather have the 'real' Chloe rather than this alternate one tbh. I loved blue-hair Chloe.

I'm just trying to figure out if Rachel Amber is alive in this alternate timeline.
Also, they can't possibly just stick with this new timeline, all our decisions would be meaningless otherwise -.-

It's also sadly ironic how Chloe wanted to steal the money from the handicapped fund and ended up being handicapped herself in a different timeline :|

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
soren7550 said:

I think the things we've changed in the "Alpha" timeline (The stuff before we saved Chloe's dad), will be relatively irrelevant while we're trying to fix the new wrinkle in time we've made. Because the entire template is different now. But once we fix things to go back to the Alpha state, the choices we made in previous episodes will persist and matter going forward.

This feels sort of like an offshoot. I mean, what is the point of making the choice to get into the Vortex Club party in Episode 2, if we're always going to be in the Vortex Club party, because we're a member of the Vortex Club? So yeah, I think the first half of episode 4 will be us working to re-kill Chloe's dad, or perhaps keeping her from doing whatever it is that crippled her. I'm guessing car wreck, or perhaps cheerleading. Cheerleading's seriously fucked up in how bad it can cripple young women.

After that, and we're back to "normal", we'll go about the rest of episode 4 (that Thursday), based on the choices we've made up to that point.

I do like how they're taking from Butterfly Effect at this point, as it makes the photos that Max has been taking more relevant to events, as they are now doorways for her to travel back in time. I doubt they're going to actually implement this too much, as it would make for an insane amount of convoluted storytelling, to let you jump into all these different photos and change something. But I did like the plot device idea behind it in Butterfly Effect, and I like it here.

I am however, starting to think that if they are taking heavily from Butterfly Effect, then the final "good" ending, is probably going to involve some kind of sacrifice on Max's part. In the movie, Ashton Kutcher's character had to sever all ties with the girl he loved, because he couldn't find any future's where everything was happy, if he was in her life. I think Max might have to do something similar, like maybe not leave to Seattle, and stay, so she and Chloe stay friends, which might mean that Rachel never meets them, and thus lives her own life somewhere else.

*shrugs* Just theorizing here. Loving the game so far, especially some of the choices they give you are tough. Though one was amazingly funny to me. The whole "throw the bone at the street or not" choice. The stats were heartening to me, globally, like 97% of people refused to let the dog be hurt, just so we could sneak into his trailer.

capcha: no spoon Why yes capcha, that is correct, for I stole your spoon and then rewound time so you never had it in the first place. Time thief! Whacha! *vanishes in a poof of smoke*

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Wow, holy crap, I didn't expect half this stuff. It's kinda crazy. Kinda speechless. There's just so much to fix. So much quantum leaping. I am really interested in what happens next, and I stayed up waaaay too late just seeing what happens in this episode!

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I was hugely disappointed by the ending, to be honest. They just took the premise from Butterfly Effect and threw it in (chaos theory, get it?). They even kept the whole picture time travel thing, and the concept that making a single change can alter everything.

The problem is that it potentially undoes everything we've done up to this point. I feel like the story has had a natural progression, and now... everything's just come out of left field. Unless they make some major improvements in the next episode, I'm really not happy with the direction this has taken.

ctSasquatch

Jan 8, 2013
When I first started Episode 1 the rewind meter reminded me of Raziel's life gauge in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. In case you never played the LoK series, Raziel routinely makes things worse by trying to make things better. Also, time travel. Best of intentions, worst of results. That immediately put me on my guard. Before long, I assumed that my rewind power in LiS was causing the tornado in the vision. Every spin of the dial added power to the storm, I suspected.

But when Max started looking at the wobbly photo, I knew something terrible was afoot. Max jumps back 5 years to save William, and I'm like "No, no, no, no, no! You'll ruin EVERYTHING!" After being forced to hide William's keys, I expected the bus to get in an accident, like his death was a fixed point that can't be changed. What I got was so much worse.

Seeing Chloe like that felt like a gut punch, even more than finding out I had drowned Lisa. Good job, Dontnod. You made me care about these characters. I'll just be here, waiting on the edge of my seat for episode 4.

Mental Cosmas

Jul 23, 2012
It's certainly odd, and this throws a new wrinkle on the rules of time travel she has been playing with. I suppose the fact that when she went far into the future she didn't "vanish" or anything, but I assumed that was because she returned at the same point in time she left. When she went back in time for shorter periods she stuck exactly where she was physically. at the present time. But this reversion seems to have her living her life perfectly normal without retaining her memories until the "present", at least that's the impression the last scene gave me. I doubt she would have become friends with the Vortex Club if she had retained her memories, but *shrug*.

Time travel is always so painful to think about, isn't it? XD. Can be fun though, although this almost seems like a downgrade to her power more then anything (which is possible, it sure isn't healthy for her to do), or just a side-effect of bigger jumps or even using a photo.

undeadsuitor said:
Considering Max's changes only seemed to have affected Chloe and Max, it would stand to reason that Rachel is still missing. Only now Chloe isn't there to plaster Missing posters everywhere so even less people are looking for her.

Also, Kate is probably dead as well, since Max probably never saved her from committing suicide.

And since Max wasn't involved with Kate, Nathan was never suspended.

Max's place/personality in that timeline also seemed to have changed, since she's apparently a popular student now, and Victoria called her Maxine like it was a normal thing for her. I mean not OUR Max, but the Max that would have existed in that timeline.
Seems likely yes, small changes with others have occurred certainly but it wasn't a world-changing thing. I mean, I suppose Chloe and Rachel were close enough that SOMETHING could have changed there, but considering how she was a social butterfly (no pun intended) I doubt it impacted her enough to change whatever happened.

But yeah, this offshoot is probably a temporary thing, just speaking from a gameplay perspective this is perhaps too obvious a way to make so many of our choices null and void. Wonder if it will go all
Donnie Darko
getting out of it XD.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Fox12 said:
I was hugely disappointed by the ending, to be honest. They just took the premise from Butterfly Effect and threw it in (chaos theory, get it?). They even kept the whole picture time travel thing, and the concept that making a single change can alter everything.

The problem is that it potentially undoes everything we've done up to this point. I feel like the story has had a natural progression, and now... everything's just come out of left field. Unless they make some major improvements in the next episode, I'm really not happy with the direction this has taken.
Don't worry, this wrinkle isn't going to last long, I'm sure of it. Like I said in my previous post, if the game doesn't go back to the previous timeline fairly early, then all of the choices we made that haven't come to fruition yet, (getting ourselves into the Vortex Club party, siding with David or Chloe in her house in that big argument, taking/not taking the gun, etc) have zero meaning. They would have no place in this new timeline with Chloe all messed up, so what would be the point?

I suspect we will deal with this timeline for probably the first hour or so of gameplay, and then realize we have to change things back to the way they were. And then the rest of episode 4 will focus on the outcome of the choices we actually made. I think this was mostly to have a "oh crap!" kind of cliffhanger ending, but that it won't stick. Because while it would be cool for her to do exactly like what they did in BE, (and she's got enough photos to handle jumping all through time), it would just be a functional mess for a video game.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Happyninja42 said:
I like the concepts in BE, but I think it's too late in the story to do it more then once. If Max learns something important as a result of this, then I think it can still work pretty well. They just need to find a way to return to the main time line (which is what I think they'll do) while making everything that happened in timeline B still relevant to the main plot.

I like the idea of using photos to hop through time, but it would be difficult to pull off with only two episodes left. Unless they make a sequel, but I'm not getting a franchise vibe off of this series. Everything I've seen up to this point has been impressive, so I just hope they finish strong.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Fox12 said:
Happyninja42 said:
I like the concepts in BE, but I think it's too late in the story to do it more then once. If Max learns something important as a result of this, then I think it can still work pretty well. They just need to find a way to return to the main time line (which is what I think they'll do) while making everything that happened in timeline B still relevant to the main plot.
Yeah, I mean, there are 2 modes of thought on this.

1. Every new episode introduces a new power for Max, and if this is true, then the "use photos to go through time" is episode 3's new power. I personally hope this isn't the case, as while I think it's a cool power, and loved the way it was used in BE, I don't think it would work well in a game, mechanically. Given the number of photos Max takes, we could theoretically start jumping all over the place, changing tons of things. Which just sounds like a huge cluster fuck to try and code in a manageable way.

2. This is simply a dramatic thing, to show Max that she can't fix the problems of NOW by rewinding back to the beginning and changing something that fundamental. Because it basically changes everything else we've chosen from Episode 1-3. We wouldn't need to be nice/mean to Victoria, because she's already our friend. We wouldn't need to make any choices about Warren, because he's not likely associated with us, and is off with Brooke probably. We wouldn't need to choose to take the blame for the joint with David, because he's got no connection with Chloe at this point.

Fox12 said:
I like the idea of using photos to hop through time, but it would be difficult to pull off with only two episodes left. Unless they make a sequel, but I'm not getting a franchise vibe off of this series. Everything I've seen up to this point has been impressive, so I just hope they finish strong.
Exactly what I'm thinking. It's going to be like Priority 1 when we start episode 4 "Ok, FIX CHLOE!! SHE CAN'T BE PARALYZED!!" And we'll have some touching conversations with her dad, possibly giving us insight into something important later, and then let him walk out the door, knowing full well what's to come.

Then, we'll spend the rest of the episode, dealing with the Vortex Club party.