Lifeless Planet Trailer Teases the Astronaut's Wife

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Lifeless Planet Trailer Teases the Astronaut's Wife

A new Lifeless Planet teaser reveals a bit more about the story behind the game and some of the environments you'll explore on the strange alien world.

Original revealed in mid-2012, Lifeless Planet is an action-adventure game about an exploration mission to a distant alien world that isn't quite as uninhabited as scientists had believed. It's a great premise and I love what I've seen of it so far (which is admittedly very little) but development progress has been very slow because the whole thing is being done by one guy. Publisher Lace Mamba Global said in April [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123135-Lifeless-Planet-Suffers-Another-Delay] that it would be ready in the second or third quarter of this year but that's looking awfully optimistic at this point.

But the good news is that work is still progressing. Developer David Board said in a May Kickstarter update that that "every level is now either alpha quality or at least roughed out," and while there's still a lot of work left to do, "I'm hopeful that things will start coming together quickly now. The guts are all there, so it's just a matter of pulling everything together and filling in the blanks."

Board also released a new teaser for the game a few days ago, showing off some gameplay, a couple of new environments and one of the oddest astronaut interview segments I've ever heard. A glimmer of insight into motivations, perhaps? Perhaps.

Lifeless Planet is being developed for the PC and if you haven't already dug into it, you may do so at lifelessplanet.com [www.lifelessplanet.com].

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I'm sensing an "it was earth all along" twist. Looks interesting regardless. I wonder if it's more of a platformer, or a partially realistic planet exploration game.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
I'll admit, I was "mehed" the first half, even though I love space / scifi games. I thought it would just be another world explorer or such, but when he found the Russian book, and the ensuring cities, I was very interested.
Doom972 said:
If this is later turns out to be true, I hate you now for making me aware of this. :mad:

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Devil said:
I'll admit, I was "mehed" the first half, even though I love space / scifi games. I thought it would just be another world explorer or such, but when he found the Russian book, and the ensuring cities, I was very interested.
Doom972 said:
If this is later turns out to be true, I hate you now for making me aware of this. :mad:
This is 2013, not 1968 (Planet of the Apes). I think we can expect somthing a bit more creative than that.
And IF it was this twist, well it would have been given away by now and the game pointless.

That there is SOME link, is clear however.
And I am so excited about this! Hits all the right buttons with me.

CAPTCHA: "I can fix it"

6urk17s

Nov 16, 2010
I think there was a Russian movie or a novel with a similar premise in a very basic sense that my IT teacher was telling me about. It sounded interesting but never looked into it.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Doom972 said:
Devil said:
BloodRed Pixel said:
The book you see lying around in the sand is a 1923 Sci-fi novel [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aelita_%28novel%29] set against the backdrop of an inhabited Mars, so it probably hints at a planet with a similar, but slightly more hospitable climate.